Team-BHP - The Palio 1.6 GTX
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   The Palio 1.6 GTX (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/2164-palio-1-6-gtx.html)

I think that the Palio offers an outstanding combination of power (100 bhp!), razor sharp handling, comfort (thanks to their world car chassic) and safety (especially the version with ABS + EBD). For a Indian car enthusiast website, it is really surprising that the 100 bhp Palio has yet to find a topic dedicated to it. But then, this is the same story that Fiat India is facing in the marketplace.

Firstly, the 1.6 GTX is available for 4.40 lacs on the road!!! A 100 horses for under 4 1/2 lakhs! Thats really unbelievable. For those who cant stretch their wallets to the City territory, you get the same power output for half the money. It shoots from 0-100 in 11.19 seconds, thats hardly half a second off the regular City 1.5's timing. Put the palio 1.6 through its paces and it will reward you with a top whack of 170km/h. Not bad for a hot hatch that is priced a very little more than a Maruti Zen.

Even the ride and handling factors are amazing, the chassis simply flying over every irregularity that Indian roads have to throw at it. Autocarindia has termed this car as the "best in its class". I have always gone out of my way to speak to 1.6 GTX owners and find out if they are unhappy at all with the car. HOGWASH!!! These guys swear by their steeds and from what I have heard..would not give it up for anything else on the road.

Butttttttttttttttt Fiat has failed miserably in restoring buyer confidence in its Indian operations. The dealership network still sucks and the company has extremely inethical business means. I had called for an orange palio 1.6 GTX from Shaman the other day (for a team-bhp ripping session) and though I was damned impressed with the car, it had rusting brackets all over on the hatch! Is this a company really committed to India? Check out their DEAD website for our country and you will know - Fiat India

Great car, sadly a "not so great" company backing it in our country.

GTO

the Palio GTX is a performance car for the price of an Esteem. Good power , looks. But the only think that holds back someones decision of buyin a Fiat is is poor after-sales service. My fav is the Limited Edition Palio. The yellow one.

P.S. I know whats the Limited Edition called. But I wudnt want to call it by that name.

hi GTO,
my name is anoop and i registered on this site just to answer this mail i have been visiting this site for a few weeks though.
this is just to inform you that there is form on yahoo groups called PALIO USERS INDIA for all palio users. we have over 300 members and close to 6000 messages.
it deals with many issuies like the aftersales service, tips on maintainance and performance modificationg. a member is in the process of getting a turbo charger for us from brazil. that should be fun.
i own a palio 1.2 (not the GTX unfortunatly) and believe me its a dream. there are a few modifications ( freeflow exhaust, platinum tipped sparks, alloy wheels to name a few....next will be a hi flow air filter (K&N) hig flow cat con and engine head porting.
visit us some time on our forum, to share our thrill of owning a palio...all our users swear by this car.
the palio has its small following.....
anoop

I don't know about others, but I feel the Palio is an ok sports car.

0-100 in 12.33 and 0-150 in 34.37 according to Overdrive.
http://indiacar.com/index2.....me=http

These figures are good enough to take on the City 1.5, but not the Vtec!!!

But there's more to a car than stop and go and this, is where the Palio loses out. I can give it to you in writing, that the palio can't handle corners as well as the City or the Lancer.

On a low budget, this car is a dream. But out on the open streets, i wouldn't wanna see myself driving one off those.

It's not a car which was "built for the kill", it's just a family hatch thats fast.

It takes something special to be the performance king. Off all the Indian cars made only 2 names stand out....the City Vtec and the Ford Mondeo.

When ever the word performance is mentioned in any off the (Indian) auto mags, you can be sure to find one off these names in it.

No doubt, the Corolla can nuke both these cars in a straight line but, i have yet to meet one guy who feels the Corolla is an out right performance car.

My final verdict would be "The Palio is a good car but needs a lot more than what it has, to have "Topics" named after it (on a regular basis) by people who don't own it".

What i have mentioned are just facts, but if someone feels i've been a bit too harsh, please let me know and i'll correct myself.

Regards...
Shan2nu

When one compares cars, it is imperative to remember that you should compare apples to apples and oranges to oranges. The only reason I said that the Palio is 1/2 second down on the City 1.5 was to elaborate how fast the car actually is...and at what a price. It WAS NOT suggested as an alternative to someone who can afford a city, but for someone who cant and is still a car enthusiast.

Autocarindia (who is the premiere Indian automotive authority) has tested the Palio 1.6 GTX from 0 - 100 at 11.19 seconds. You can see for yourself here at Autocar roadtest

Quote:

Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ] the palio can't handle corners as well as the City or the Lancer.

I am pretty certain no one out here needs a "written" confirmation on that and it is just a waste of time to state the obvious. Butttttttttttttt keep in mind that the City costs more than DOUBLE of what the Palio retails at. Compare the Palio's handling to other hatches, not cars that are two segments higher!! Its like saying that the Vtec is not a good handler coz the C200K and the Mondeo and the Accord outhandle it!

Quote:

Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ]The Palio is a good car but needs a lot more than what it has, to have "Topics" named after it (on a regular basis) by people who don't own it".

Topics? Heck, who needs topics. It has an entire FORUM dedicated to it by Indian car enthusiasts!!! As explained by Anoops in the third message, they have 300 members and 6000 posts!!! Now according to your explanation, maybe the Vtec and the Mondeo need a lot more than they have to get "forums" named after them, wot? Or that indeed the Palio has enough to ensure the 6000 posts and resultant numerous topics?

100bhp for 4.4 lacs in what is otherwise also a great car....is a damned good deal.

GTO

Phew !!!! that was damn good GTO....so finally the VTEC guy will have to correct himself ;)

While you were comparing cars according to their prices, i was talking about cars in the same capacity range. Both the Vtec and Lancer are 1.5 ltrs.

Yes, if you look at the price, the Palio is a damn good deal. And i've already mentioned that.

Regards...
Shan2nu

BTW when is the new look Palio being launched?

Regards...
Shan2nu

Good Question there! Personally i feel Fiat brought in a car that was too ahead of it's time in India. For some strange reason, B segment buyers feeel that they have to compromise on many things in their car and performance is one of them. Also putting a 1.6 ltr DOHC 4 cylinder 16 valve 32-bit ECU engine with 100 bhp in a hatchback was i feel 20 yrs before time in India! Heck only a V6 is more advanced than this engine configuration!
I own a Palio S10 and the car is a stonker! Sometimes I call it a simulated automatic! driving it at any speed with AC in 5th gear with AC and a full load i just tap the accelarator and the car lunges forward! THe power just keeps coming and coming and coming and coming and..... Even when i switch on the AC I dont feel the engine has been sapped of power like it happens in the korean cars. I wanted to start a thread on the Palio 1.6 but didn't cuz when i tried doing this at another autosite i was labelled a fiat employee!

Ya i read about your problem........

That won't happen here.......

Regards...
Shan2nu

absolutely my the favourite car in the indian car market, all vtecs and dtecs and ecotecs included. fiat did have a lot of balls coming out with a hot hatch in a kpl driven market that is the majority of india. it's an absolute hoot to drive, the torque is always there, and takes corners pretty well too. good car for those signal to signal runs too. it's just too much VFM for me to handle.

GTO - "Firstly, the 1.6 GTX is available for 4.40 lacs on the road!!!" - wow...when did this happen?? i had heard that the prices had dropped but i had no clue they were this low!!... 4.4L on the road, regn insureance et al for the GTX (thane im assuming?)??? <i just have to reconfirm this with you!!

Anoop - Good to have some confirmation that the unregistered users are still regulars ;-] *Have you noticed any difference with the platinum spark plugs? Have u upgraded ur ignition system to compensate for them at all?...just wnodering what your view is....do try to post more often!

Amit - "I wanted to start a thread on the Palio 1.6 but didn't cuz when i tried doing this at another autosite i was labelled a fiat employee!"
Hahaha...thats really funny!
I had driven the palio 1.6 when i had JUST learned how to drive so i was not confident enough to give it a real test....the only thing that bugged me about it was the fast that the brake pedal had no positive feedback, and the interiors were a bit cramped for a car that was a rather large small car on the outside. < What are the palio owners views on this, just wondering/
I do however think that the palio GTX is close to the best looking car available in india, and i mean from ALL the segments! Black or grey GTX with nice tints...wow...beautiful styling..love it.
Also just wondering what kinda average u guys get? (everyone must have been asking u this everytime u stoped at a petrol pump when the palio was just out eh ;-]

cheers
Rehaan.

Quote:

Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ]GTO - "Firstly, the 1.6 GTX is available for 4.40 lacs on the road!!!" - wow...when did this happen?? i had heard that the prices had dropped but i had no clue they were this low!!... 4.4L on the road, regn insureance et al for the GTX (thane im assuming?)??? <i just have to reconfirm this with you!!

Yes Rehaan, Shaman Motors is offering a 1.1 lac discount on the 1.6 GTX. The Thana on-road price is 5.5 lacs all inclusive.

Quote:

Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ]I own a Palio S10 and the car is a stonker! Sometimes I call it a simulated automatic!

I know just what you are talking about. The Palio,having 100hp and oodles of torque for a hatch, is extremely driveable in the city. But it really comes into its own on the highway. Very very stable. I have yet to find a hatch that behaves this well .

Quote:

Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ] there are a few modifications ( freeflow exhaust, platinum tipped sparks, alloy wheels to name a few....next will be a hi flow air filter (K&N) hig flow cat con and engine head porting.

Hey Anoops, its great to have you with us. Thats quite a few modifications that you have in your Palio right now. As Rehaan said, how are the new plugs? Whats the size of your alloy/tyre combo? Are you in Bombay, if so share with us where you got your modifications done?

GTO

Quote:

Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (GTO @ Mar. 20 2004,11:32)]
Quote:

Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ]GTO - "Firstly, the 1.6 GTX is available for 4.40 lacs on the road!!!" - wow...when did this happen?? i had heard that the prices had dropped but i had no clue they were this low!!... 4.4L on the road, regn insureance et al for the GTX (thane im assuming?)??? <i just have to reconfirm this with you!!

Yes Rehaan, Shaman Motors is offering a 1.1 lac discount on the 1.6 GTX. The Thana on-road price is 5.5 lacs all inclusive.

Hey GTO,

I lost you there plz say that again.
If Shaman is offering the car for 4.4L is that the ex-showroom price or on-road price?
And if it is the on-road price like you said, it would be cheaper if the regn etc is done in thana right (since the car would be purchased from Shaman anyway)?

cya
Rehaan

The on-road price ex - thana is 5,50,000 - inclusive of taxes and insurance. Shaman is offering a discount of 1.1 lacs, thus the on-road price with the keys in your hand is 4.40 lacs.

GTO