Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th January 2020, 15:57   #31
BHPian

Re: Will modern cars age well?

I think too many sensors and too much technology which has been included for our safety / comfort is likely to play the spoil sport. If a vehicle has to age well, maintenance of the external body and the interiors is definitely the visible key. It is like the key of a bank locker which is there with the customer. But can the locker open only with this? The other key with the banker has a major role to play. In this case, a reliable and trusted service centre will play a very crucial role in any car ageing well since a majority of the customers do not understand what is inside the hood.
Old 28th January 2020, 19:44   #32
Senior - BHPian

Re: Will modern cars age well?

Meeting modern era safety and pollution requirements mean that the electronics are here to stay. I necessarily don't consider electronics to be the bane of modern automobiles, however the bigger issue is the frequent change of models and brands.

Pre 1990's the reason for cars to become classics was that the same model used to be in production for decades. There was more than enough volume for OE manufactures to maintain production of spares long after the product was discontinued. Case in point the Classic Mitsubishi Pajero 2.8. You can find almost any part for that vehicle even after 9 years of it being discontinued.

Nowadays manufacturers introduce new models at a drop of a hat. Neither the vehicle gets time to mature neither do components manufacturers get enough volume to justify maintaining inventories.

With so small a number and people changing vehicles every 3 to 5 years, cars are now viewed more of as a consumable rather than a life time purchase. The build quality of the car reflects the same view as well. Today's cars are just not being made to last. They are being made to last a 4 to 5 year cycle.

Unless you are ready to plonk serious dough (Like a Toyota Landcruiser) you will not easily find a modern budget car built to last. Heck even the original M800 had better and longer lasting parts than a modern Alto. Watch this video for a beautiful analysis of what I am trying to convey.
, listen at 1.30 carefully.

This makes me believe that it is very difficult if not impossible for any modern run of the mill car to achieve a "Classic" status. Our totally out of sync environmental policies are not helping either.

Last edited by Traveler : 28th January 2020 at 19:51.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks