Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th February 2007, 20:01   #1
BHPian

Red and Green stickers on bumpers ? What do they mean?

Wonder what is the significance of red and green spot front bumper stickers on some of the cars in Bangalore?. I have seen it in mainly in santro’s
Old 27th February 2007, 20:35   #2
Senior - BHPian

find a lot of these stickers on cars here in mumbai...trucks too...they are just reflectors..
Old 27th February 2007, 20:39   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chanapli View Post
Wonder what is the significance of red and green spot front bumper stickers on some of the cars in Bangalore?. I have seen it in mainly in santro’s
They're pasted by the Kanakapura-Bannerghatta Road expressway wardens if you're driving on it the first time. Meant for reflectivity on the expressway, ostensibly for higher visiblility during darkness considering the speeds on that expressway are huge.
Old 27th February 2007, 21:16   #4
Team-BHP Support

Thanks for the info! I always wondered but did not know whom to ask.
Old 27th February 2007, 23:00   #5
BHPian

If they need for reflection...any color will do….they can put Yellow!!! Ever observed that the Green sticker is always on the right side while red is on the left.. it means we should always overtake from Right side and not from the left.
Old 27th February 2007, 23:50   #6
BHPian

Saw these on almost all vehicles on NH-6 on my recent trip to Nagpur. When I enquired the Taxi driver, he said it is a "requirement" to put these stickers (in NGP, may be whole of MH but he wasn't sure about that).

We do see vehicles on the highway which have only one working headlight. These reflectors are useful to judge the vehicle-width of such morons!

Also noticed that the stickers used on front bumpers are circle shaped whereas triangle shaped ones are used on the rear.
Old 28th February 2007, 06:18   #7
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohitbagai View Post
If they need for reflection...any color will do….they can put Yellow!!! Ever observed that the Green sticker is always on the right side while red is on the left.. it means we should always overtake from Right side and not from the left.
Thats one way to think about it, and it makes logical sense.

What i always related it to was the Port and Starboard on a ship.
The port side (left) always has a red light, and the starboard (right) has a green light on it.
Has a bit to do with right of way in a sense ... read on

cya
R

ps - Heres another similar thread / observation -
Old 28th February 2007, 07:46   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMAG View Post
They're pasted by the Kanakapura-Bannerghatta Road expressway wardens if you're driving on it the first time. Meant for reflectivity on the expressway, ostensibly for higher visiblility during darkness considering the speeds on that expressway are huge.
Thanks. But I did not notice those were reflective in nature. Ofcourse I have seen only in day light, those looked like very normal paper to me. May be I am bad.
Old 28th February 2007, 08:25   #9
ash_edged

I have been going to mussorie literally every year from 1997, in 2004, just after dehradun they had a checkpoint, where usually no one stops but on this occasion they stopped us to make sure we had these reflectors on the rear bumper becasue which I didnt have and I had to forcebly buy it off them for Rs.100, what a rip off, could have got it from the local market for Rs.10, Since then everytime I went to mussorie I kept 2 sticker locally made for fraction of the cost and keep it in my dash. If someone stops then i will put them. But luckily no one did since that day !

Old 28th February 2007, 10:43   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ash_edged View Post
I have been going to mussorie literally every year from 1997, in 2004, just after dehradun they had a checkpoint, where usually no one stops but on this occasion they stopped us to make sure we had these reflectors on the rear bumper becasue which I didnt have and I had to forcebly buy it off them for Rs.100, what a rip off, could have got it from the local market for Rs.10, Since then everytime I went to mussorie I kept 2 sticker locally made for fraction of the cost and keep it in my dash. If someone stops then i will put them. But luckily no one did since that day !
@ash: hmmm. why do you keep spare stickers? might as well leave them on the bumper once you paste them no? Why unnecessarily paste them on and remove them later?
Old 2nd March 2007, 18:29   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
Thats one way to think about it, and it makes logical sense.

What i always related it to was the Port and Starboard on a ship.
The port side (left) always has a red light, and the starboard (right) has a green light on it.
Has a bit to do with right of way in a sense ...
Aye, aye Captain!
If only they publicised what red and green stood for before making money...
Old 2nd March 2007, 18:49   #12
Senior - BHPian

i think someone copied it from airplanes since the colors signify the sides of airplane and you can make out if it is approaching you or going away by looking at the navigation lights which are red on left side and green on right, this is a universal standard for all flying objects, wonder why in cars, you can make out they are always coming towards you.........
Old 7th September 2007, 22:37   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Happened to hire a Qualis recently, and the driver said that they are asked to put these on the bumpers when they go for their FC. Only for cabs, he said. Possibly being made to buy them, helping some one is make some money
Old 7th September 2007, 23:13   #14
Team-BHP Support

this was once enforced in kerala, later 80's green strips in front and red ones on back bumpers, now i understand the thought process from rehaans post

i think red reflectors on the rear are now mandatory and integrated into the tail light design these days
Old 8th September 2007, 00:43   #15
Senior - BHPian

OT :

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
i think red reflectors on the rear are now mandatory and integrated into the tail light design these days
Even elephants need to have reflectors hanging on their rears in the night . Mandatory in Kerala.
Source : Mahout from Kerala.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks