Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th January 2020, 14:27   #1
Senior - BHPian

Rumour: Hyundai could re-introduce Sonata in India

According to a media report, Hyundai might re-launch the Sonata in India. But, it may not arrive before 2021.

Rumour: Hyundai could re-introduce Sonata in India-large386062020hyundaisonata.jpg

The eighth generation Sonata was unveiled in March last year. The new model is longer, wider and has a longer wheelbase than its predecessor.

The new Sonata features Hyundai's Digital Pulse Cascading Grille with 4-pod headlamps and LED daytime running lights. At the rear, the Sonata gets an LED light bar and U-shaped tail lamps. On the inside, the new model comes with a redesigned dashboard, 4-spoke multi-function steering wheel and a twin-pod instrument cluster.

In the international market, the new Sonata is offered with a variety of engines with sizes ranging from 1.6-litre to 2.5-litre. It also comes with a petrol-hybrid option.

Source

Link to Team-BHP News
TusharK is online now   (11) Thanks
Old 10th January 2020, 14:45   #2
BHPian

Re: Rumour: Hyundai could re-introduce Sonata in India

But, will people buy a possibly 30+ lakh Hyundai over the excellent Skoda Superb and supremely fuel efficient Toyota Camry?
BZ25 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th January 2020, 14:56   #3
BHPian

The New Sonata is actually really luxurious and is a massive step up from the previous gen, but the car looks like a catfish and for some reason the back reminds me of a Honda! Hyundai should bring the Plug In Hybrid version to India if they want to sell these.

Last edited by BlackPearl : 10th January 2020 at 16:38. Reason: Typo
CarManMotorcycl is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th January 2020, 15:39   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BZ25 View Post
But, will people buy a possibly 30+ lakh Hyundai over the excellent Skoda Superb and supremely fuel efficient Toyota Camry?
I am guessing the same set of people (including me), who did not even bother to look at the Octavia before buying the Civic, and made Civic the sales leader?

Also, at 30 lakh, the Sonata would be way cheaper than the Camry.

Hope Kia launches the 2020 K5 too, it looks far better than this.

Last edited by vipul_singh : 10th January 2020 at 15:40.
vipul_singh is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th January 2020, 19:52   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Yes. Earlier the Sonata's main rival was the Honda Accord & Toyota Camry along with the Skoda Superb & Passat.
Today however, the Accord & Camry are significantly overpriced in their segments; and with Skoda going petrol only - a well priced diesel Sonata automatic could be the perfect upgrade for Elantra, Civic, & Corolla owners.
lamborghini is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 10th January 2020, 20:40   #6
BHPian

They will most probably bring it in hybrid form to take on the Camry. Just hope they don't overprice it by bringing it as a CBU.
dragracer567 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th January 2020, 21:55   #7
Senior - BHPian

It will always be a car for sensible people...mind over heart cause it looks ugly!! But it will be loaded to gills and priced right under the segment benchmark. So peole who value function over form will mostly go for it (me coz i got the Fluidic Elantra over Octavia)...but these peole are now fewer than before with each passing day cause the sedan form is probably not seeing it's best days.
Old 10th January 2020, 23:10   #8
BHPian

If they are going to play in this space, might as well do it with their SUV's; the new Santa Fe is gorgeous and would be an ideal fit.

I'd like for them to go one step above and bring in the Palisade/Telluride cousins. You never know, might turn out to be a surprise hit.
Old 12th January 2020, 15:00   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Yes! (If Hyundai folks are reading this....they can count me in as a buyer). I know looks are subjective, but I quite like the look of the Sonata over the Camry. While the Passat is a better looker IMO, I'm generally wary of VW's post sales service (big factor in choosing a Sonata would be that it's from Hyundai).

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragracer567 View Post
They will most probably bring it in hybrid form to take on the Camry. Just hope they don't overprice it by bringing it as a CBU.
Hope not, because pricing is key here. I don't think people quite associate "luxury" with Hyundai. Unless of course they're targeting similar volumes as that of the Camry (then I don't see the point of bringing it in the first place).

P.S., I'm implying that Hybrid will be expensive, and there's no way to have a competitively priced hybrid car. So yes, I'm hoping for a CKD route as well.
Old 13th January 2020, 14:23   #10
GTO
Team-BHP Support

The next-generation of Hyundais sure looks weird. The current-gen cars won me over with their classy, clean & neutral styling. But boy, are we going to see lots of these ugly cars everyday in India!

The Sonata might be good. But Hyundai is going to want to sell it for the car to even do 50 / month. The usual problem with expensive Hyundais is that, 30 days after launch, the company forgets about them and goes back to focusing on the volume segments. Similar to Team-BHP in a way . We ignore most of the luxury cars for our Official Reviewing, only doing a couple of them when we have free time. And even those are short "Driven" style reviews (not full-blown Official Reviews).
GTO is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 29th January 2022, 12:03   #11
Senior - BHPian

The Hyundai New Sonata for the Chinese market reportedly could have underperformed in C-NCAP's 64kmph 40% offset deformable barrier crash test. It is unclear whether the rating is poor but the news article says that the A-pillar displacement "visually" looks worse than usual, though they did not release official rearward A-pillar displacement values.

News article

Name:  20212F06182F6e9ecaa3p00quwjxf003dc000hs00aum.png
Views: 149
Size:  121.4 KB

It is also said that the protection to the rear passenger's pelvis in a 50km/h AE-MDB side impact could have been poor due to high intrusion of the rear door and the lack of rear side body airbags.

Name:  20212F06182F14c3e845p00quwjxg003bc000hs008um.png
Views: 147
Size:  119.0 KB

Image credits: MIN News

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks