Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd March 2007, 14:45   #1
rkg
Senior - BHPian

Hyundai compares Santro with Alto

In today times of india bangalore edition there is an ad by hyundai/or its dealer comparing santro with alto. the hilarious thing is two items compared. they are number of parts per car or some thing like that ( santro has 10 and alto 14) another is resale value of santro versus alto.
if i remember correctly hyundai compared santro with swift when swift was launched. now it is comparing santro with alto. what does this mean and what message hyundai is conveying?
Old 3rd March 2007, 14:50   #2
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkg View Post
....what does this mean and what message hyundai is conveying?
That there is a Santro for every budget.
Old 3rd March 2007, 14:51   #3
Senior - BHPian

There is a Santro for every excuse?
Old 3rd March 2007, 15:58   #4
rkg
Senior - BHPian

i have gone through the ad again
apart from comparing engine capacity, tyre size, wheel base power santro is compared with alto for
EMI as per ad it is less for santro ( so emi depends on car not on interest rate, tenure and loan amount)
tall boy design
percentage of parts to car price ( i could not understand this) 10.44 for santro and 14.45 for alto. due this santro has amazing economy as per the ad
ad is issued by advaith hyundai
Old 3rd March 2007, 16:02   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkg View Post
i have gone through the ad again
apart from comparing engine capacity, tyre size, wheel base power santro is compared with alto for
EMI as per ad it is less for santro ( so emi depends on car not on interest rate, tenure and loan amount)
tall boy design
percentage of parts to car price ( i could not understand this) 10.44 for santro and 14.45 for alto. due this santro has amazing economy as per the ad
ad is issued by advaith hyundai
Yes but anyway...santro is slightly better car to ALTO IMO almost in all department except mileage. Alto is just too cramped.
Old 3rd March 2007, 16:16   #6
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
what does this mean and what message hyundai is conveying?
That the Santro will be repositioned very soon and as a mass-market entry level hatch. And that Hyundai is making room for the "New" Santro.
Old 3rd March 2007, 16:23   #7
Senior - BHPian

but then why why would a dealer do that for hyundai..and why only through 1 dealer..
Old 3rd March 2007, 21:53   #8
aZa
Senior - BHPian

It seems like Hyundai is making space for "PA!" Once "PA!" is launched the comparison would be something like

Santro == Alto
Pa == ZEN/WAGONR
Getz == Swift
Old 3rd March 2007, 23:14   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
That the Santro will be repositioned very soon and as a mass-market entry level hatch.
Precisely The reason why I had started the thread
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ale-value.html
Old 3rd March 2007, 23:34   #10
Senior - BHPian

Well if Maruti can compare Swift with NHC so can hyundai ....

But this doesn't make sense as only 1 dealer is doing it. The dealer must be loosing sales due to alto, so he might have thought of comparing them to get some added advantage (if there is any).
Old 4th March 2007, 00:53   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajo View Post
That there is a Santro for every budget.

What? I didn't know so many people with varying budgets were dying to buy the same old car!

Well anyway, all said and done, this comparison would have been fun to read. I sympathize with Advaith, they could have found the Wagon-R to compare the Santro with, comparison of the two traveling pregnant boxes would have been more fun
Old 4th March 2007, 02:10   #12
BANNED

Tomorrow, Comparos will be with some road rollers, JCB etc..
Old 4th March 2007, 08:49   #13
rks
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocksterraghu View Post
What? I didn't know so many people with varying budgets were dying to buy the same old car!

Well anyway, all said and done, this comparison would have been fun to read. I sympathize with Advaith, they could have found the Wagon-R to compare the Santro with, comparison of the two traveling pregnant boxes would have been more fun
I think the Santro is a superbly designed and engineered car for Indian conditions, both city and highway. It will continue to be so as long as our roads and traffic conditions remain the way they are (which is, for the forseeable future). No wonder the Santro is such a success story. One of these days I will make a video of one of my Pune-Mumbai drives. Even my old 1-lit Santro sure didn't feel like a "travelling pregnant box" this Friday (Mumbai-Pune Expressway -- 93 kms in 50 mins, avg. 112 kmph, with *considerable* traffic). A speeding Corolla was comprehensively trounced by my old Santro on the Panvel-Sion highway. Pickup and top speed don't count for much under these conditions -- they do count a little, but it's maneuverability that matters more, with roads like the Mumbai-Pune Expressway possibly being the exception. Even on expressways the Santro's lane-cutting and overtaking abilities at high speed can be put to good use, given the considerable amount of slow-moving traffic these days.

At the moment I cannot think of any other Indian car that can take on the Santro Xing under typical Indian highway conditions (narrow roads, lots of slow-moving heavy vehicles, etc.). The Alto 1.1 would probably have been a match if it were available.

Last edited by rks : 4th March 2007 at 08:53.
Old 4th March 2007, 11:03   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rks View Post
A speeding Corolla was comprehensively trounced by my old Santro on the Panvel-Sion highway. Pickup and top speed don't count for much under these conditions -- they do count a little, but it's maneuverability that matters more, with roads like the Mumbai-Pune Expressway possibly being the exception. Even on expressways the Santro's lane-cutting and overtaking abilities at high speed can be put to good use, given the considerable amount of slow-moving traffic these days.
Actually, if you were in driving seat of that Corolla and a driver "similar" to you in your Santro, Santro would not have been even a distant spec in RVM. Many times, its more of how you drive than what you drive.

Last edited by RX135 : 4th March 2007 at 11:10.
Old 4th March 2007, 11:10   #15
Team-BHP Support

great now we have a comparison of the santro with the corolla. going by that the santro then is a better buy than the mercedes benz C/E/S.

Clearly Hyundai is feeling the pinch with the Zen Estilo and WagonR going head to head to the Santro.

Advaith hyundai is offering so many discounts on the car it's actually very funny.

Free warranty for 2nd and 3rd year, free accessories of 10K, free insurance for 1st year, free mp3 player with 4 speakers, free remote locking security system, Rs.5000 cash disount. all this when i last checked.

Hyundai will be bringing the Pa soon and they have to reposition the car to get it to sell more numbers.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks