Team-BHP - Would the NHC continue to remain the segment leader.
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   Would the NHC continue to remain the segment leader. (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/21813-would-nhc-continue-remain-segment-leader-2.html)

Gud decision SB. Wait for the SX4 to arrive. Also, staying within the same camps would be a nice idea too.

I seriously feel the NHC is overpriced, and overhyped. (No offence to the owners)

Quote:

Originally Posted by shuvc (Post 402073)
I read it this way.
Prior to the Fiesta , the City used to sell 3 - 3.5 K cars a month. .....If the segment grows and you don't grow, then you've obviously lost market share.

Fair enough. I don't have the access to the numbers. If what you say is true, then I also agree - the NHC bastion has been breached. And high time too.

Quote:

Originally Posted by benbsb29 (Post 402081)
I seriously feel the NHC is overpriced, and overhyped. (No offence to the owners)

A lot of cars fall in that bracket. :) But the market makes the decision and we should not complain.

Quote:

Originally Posted by supremeBaleno (Post 402075)
Couldn't agree more - I was also contemplating the NHC (only for the so-called high FE) inspite of hating the looks, but finally decided the extra 1.5lakhs was not worth the 1-2 kmpl max extra that I would get.

FE alone shouldn't be a criteria to go for a paticular car. There will be other cars in the same segment with around the same FE.

Quote:

Originally Posted by benbsb29
Gud decision SB. Wait for the SX4 to arrive.

Sorry if my previous post sounded like I am on the lookout for a new car. I am not. I was actually mentioning about the time 2 years ago, when I had to decide between the NHC & Baleno.

Quote:

Originally Posted by benbsb29
Also, staying within the same camps would be a nice idea too.

Camps ? As in a particular manufacturer ? Sure, if they share the profit with me. :) Till that happens, it is the most VFM car of the lot that will do it for me.

I guess, it's still not difficult for honda to come back... all they need to do is.... make that 1.5 ltr engine produce 100bhp.... and it shouldn't be difficult... considering the fact that the 77bhp comes in at only 5000rpm.

Though its my personal opinion, but not even fiesta deserves to be the segment leader.....

Quote:

Originally Posted by SLK (Post 402110)
I guess, it's still not difficult for honda to come back... all they need to do is.... make that 1.5 ltr engine produce 100bhp.... and it shouldn't be difficult... considering the fact that the 77bhp comes in at only 5000rpm.

Well the VTec is already there with those specs. Maybe they need to drop prices to regain some market share. Or introduce an upgraded NHC with more features, more FE at a competitive price.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SLK (Post 402110)

Though its my personal opinion, but not even fiesta deserves to be the segment leader.....

The market buys the car for F.E. and snob value - which the Honda was offering. Now that the F.E. stakes are getting challenged by others, the snob value remains. Performance was never the criteria for the mass market (read Unclejis and Aunteejis). And pray, why should the Fiesta not be the segment leader? Because 'Ford' does not start with an H?

Quote:

Originally Posted by SLK

Not sure what the basis for your comment is, but I agree for a different reason (ofcourse nothing to do with Ford not starting with the letter H :) ).

The C-segment needs something that has a combination of good looks (Fiesta is not ugly, but then it is no looker either), decent performance, good petrol efficiency and the latest safety features. The current crop might between themselves sort of cover these attributes, but none has it all. Hope we get an all-rounder in this segment.

Quote:

Originally Posted by msdivy
FE alone shouldn't be a criteria to go for a paticular car. There will be other cars in the same segment with around the same FE.

That was not the sole criteris, though it ranked pretty high in the list. If it was the sole criteria, I would have been driving an NHC.
I am not sure which car you are referring to in that segment, but AFAIK I am not aware of any petrol car in that segment that gives same or more FE as the NHC.

NHC lacks safety features which almost all cars in that segment are offering. They don't even have ABS, if I'm right. You can get a fiesta with Airbags and ABS. Verna has ABS. When everyone in the competition is out with safety features, I wonder why it's taking so long for Honda to do it? Is it because they are still the market leaders and/or the majority who buy cars in India don't bother (I know a lot of people who don't bother with seat belts, don't know what an airbag is, why ABS is a good thing).

Quote:

Originally Posted by shuvc (Post 402115)
Or introduce an upgraded NHC with more features .

Yeah ! I agree with that.

Quote:

Originally Posted by shuvc (Post 402115)
more FE at a competitive price.

Did you mean to say more performance?

Well, I have driven NHC on a lot of occassions and i find it very easy to drive in the city. The EPS is so smooth... Otherwise, i did not find any thing amusing in that car.

I guess it's time for honda to add some goodies, add some attractive options and sell. Drop from 3K-3.5k units to 2.1K is bad though !

Hope Honda has it's secondary plans in place and act accordingly.

Maruthi:
Well, yeah as some one mentioned, Maruthi has gained rapport and NMB with a 1.9 with 90 Bhp WILL sell, no matter what. That's a known fact !

Hyundai:
Verna is out of question ! I dont want to pay 8.7 laks Onroad only for the horses with a bad chariot...

GM:
Yeah, yeah, yeah - If they launch diesel verison, they wont have their numbers in place (compared with the above). Most learnt the lessons with poor mileage in old GM cars, that were launched here in the past. And excessive service bills...
Future is :
Yes, When diwali comes, you will get a discount of 1 lak off and 1.5 lak off on Aveo Diesel if launched !

Cheers,
Jai

Quote:

Originally Posted by typeOnegative (Post 402122)
Performance was never the criteria for the mass market (read Unclejis and Aunteejis).

I agree about that but... when any layman goes out shopping... the 77bhp Vs 100bhp..(vtec is too expensive to be a people car) is too big a difference for him to ignore. Fiesta is offering a very similar experience as the NHC for less $$... thats why its sells now.

Quote:

Originally Posted by typeOnegative (Post 402122)
And pray, why should the Fiesta not be the segment leader? Because 'Ford' does not start with an H?

No, its nothing to do with Ford starting with 'F'....
Its because, to me the fiesta just doesn't click... i don't find it outstanding in any department.
I mean i can't seem to respect the car as much as the OHC or the Baleno.
(I said personal opinion!)

Ok, but don't get me all wrong, I never said NHC is worth being a segment leader.... (I own one & say its not worth the price! AND it certainly lacks the power)

As I understand, the Indian market never chooses the rightful market leader as the leader. The Baleno was worth it... but.. you know what happened.

Now the Baleno is past its prime and there is no single car in this segment that is worth being a leader..... a mix and match is a more logical equation without being an outright leader.

Quote:

Originally Posted by nevertouchme (Post 402206)
Did you mean to say more performance?

Nope. I meant more FE. Till they launch a diesel, they need to play that card hard - since it's one of their USPs.

To SLK, SB,

No car deserves to be the market leader in whatever segment. The market makes the market leader. Thats the truth. Our opinions don't count. After all, who deserves to be the Prime Minister of the country? Or captain or coach of the Indian Cricket team? ;)

Honda will continue to dominate the market for its brand image and FE. People are ready to pump in 1L extra for the above even forgetting the safety and extra power offered by competition.

Quote:

Originally Posted by shuvc (Post 402053)
Autocar India April issue.

The NHC has sold 2100 odd numbers in February.
The Fiesta (petrol + diesel) has sold in excess of 3000 !!!

Needed to watch for few more months on this