Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd January 2020, 15:14   #16
BHPian

Re: Safety is more important than price war: Tata Motors

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post

Time to forget the price tag, TATA Motors! You have a brilliant design team, a youthful range of products (across the range - From Tiago to the Harrier) - focus on providing the best mechanicals and specifications as well - even if that means being on top of the segment in terms of pricing. As long as the cars offer value - and not just a cheaper price - there will be Indians buying them, and with pride!
+1 to that. I personally think their new Altroz or Nexon facelift are still priced very well. When Hyundai's venue which is still BSIV at that price seems to be okay I see Nexon facelift is still pretty VFM. Tata has got the design spot on or infact better than spot on. Ride, handling and braking is always pretty much perfect on their latest cars. Only suggestion from me would be Tata should come all guns blazing at the time of launch (like not delaying ATs, Pano sunroof etc). Understand the market dynamics well and hit the bulls eye. That would easily put them at spot 3 in the current market.

Last edited by SpideyBoy : 23rd January 2020 at 15:41. Reason: Typo
SpideyBoy is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2020, 15:33   #17
BHPian

A lot of brickbats were thrown at Tata for calling the Altroz premium on the Altroz thread. I don't see 5 star ratings on the Indian Baleno or i20 for now.

So now people need to ask themselves. What does premium mean? Tin cans with gimmicks, or a car with limited features but 5 star safety rating?

It's time Tata shed that VFM tag. Better now than later. Safe & good looking cars aren't cheap. Period. Tata also need to reposition themselves properly and be confident of the same. It's good they have realised that their customers are ones who actually appreciate their products. Keep them happy before the el-cheapo Chinese onslaught comes soon.

Now their products have become desirable. Tighten the loose ends w.r.t. QC, marketing and TASS and they have a lot of winners in their hands.
TROOPER is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2020, 15:56   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TROOPER View Post
A lot of brickbats were thrown at Tata for calling the Altroz premium on the Altroz thread. I don't see 5 star ratings on the Indian Baleno or i20 for now.

So now people need to ask themselves. What does premium mean? Tin cans with gimmicks, or a car with limited features but 5 star safety rating?
Can't we have a safe car with good feature set, engine as well? I want a safe car but don't want one with a drab engine! Tata has done a great job w.r.to safety, but lets not forget Maruti has its strength(engine,reliability,A.S.S etc.) though lags(not lacks) when it comes to safety. Nexon hits the right strings to me, but not Altroz.

Last edited by PrideRed : 23rd January 2020 at 16:07.
PrideRed is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2020, 16:25   #19
BHPian

I was astonished to see that the base of Nexon has ESP, HCA and others as std. If I am not wrong that is since I just saw that via mobile but yes why not more than 2 airbags though?
ajaiD is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th January 2020, 23:18   #20
BHPian

One thing just came to my mind. People were comparing the price vs features with respect to Ecosport and Nexon, I'd like to highlight that Nexon now has ESP as standard (very few Indian cars to have that especially in mass market segment). I also remember seeing an official document regarding ESP becoming standard in one of the older posts. Therefore Nexon has an edge here, I don't think Ecosport has ESP in base and mid variants.
Storm2.0 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th January 2020, 00:05   #21
Senior - BHPian

I've a feeling TML may introduce a "safety pack" version of the ALTROZ later.
The ALTROZ "B-pillar" inner trim has the tell-tale markings where typically the legend "SRS Airbag" is stamped. So one can safely assume the trim design as well as the cant rail has been "package protected" for a multi-airbag equipped variant.

But on a serious note: TML had to clearly communicate to its dealer sales staff the benefits of an NCAP 5 star rated car. When i visited the showroom, the salesperson went on jabbering away about 5 star safety. When i asked what it stood for and what exactly the rating wants to communicate to the customer, the same salesman; now visibly perspiring in the winter chill, told me: "Sir, it's a very big test done by a foreign company. The car is "broken up", ( with what he doesn't know), and the longer it takes to "break up" the better is it's steel quality"

About time the ground level staff got a good grounding in automotive basics to make a convincing sales pitch.

Last edited by arjab : 26th January 2020 at 00:18.
arjab is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 26th January 2020, 02:15   #22
BHPian

Quote:
“An attempt is made to move away from the discussion of the pricing and shift towards safety. Internally, we have decided to offer the safest car in the segment.”
Appreciate it. This indicates a healthy shift in marketing strategy. Tata and M&M competing for 5 stars, Renault bringing 4 airbags in Triber, all such developments give a message safety sells
Thermodynamics is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th January 2020, 09:29   #23
BHPian

Big love to you, Tata from a recently converted Tata fanboy! It's really appreciative to see that in 2020, when a large percentage of the market focus is on 'connected car tech' and all other irrelevant things, our own homegrown manufacturer makes probably the best statement that has been made from the industry.
BZ25 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 26th January 2020, 11:22   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
The problem is the hypocrisy of the Indian customers. People prioritize FE over safety and flog the bad-experience-about-Tata horse to it's proverbial death.
Can't agree more. Really appreciate Tata's vision and their focus on safety . Tata is actually becoming the "Volvo" of India. At the end of the day delivering a quality product that justifies the price you pay matters and Tata delivers that with their Hexa, Harrier lineup. Issues regarding customer experience are a minor irritant, but not a deal breaker as I think of it and does exists with most other manufacturers as well.

I think people should appreciate the kind of change Tata has brought out in their products over the span of 20 years. We are actually getting Land Rover engineering in Tata cars at a steal price and that itself is enough to buy a Tata car. I am sure most Indian customers would shift towards safety against price over a period of time.
carenthusiast is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th January 2020, 12:06   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

What is curious is that even after almost a year of the launch of the Harrier, NCAP testing and results are not available. There are rumours going on in the Harrier thread about various reasons for this, probably untrue. Before this becomes too visible as an issue, TATA should complete the tests and declare the results.
Old 26th January 2020, 15:10   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84.monsoon View Post
. Before this becomes too visible as an issue, TATA should complete the tests and declare the results.
I think they might do this with the launch of the BS6 Harrier and the Gravitas, as they did with the Altroz, Tiago and Rigor (BS6 versions).
Old 24th February 2020, 05:53   #27
BHPian

Tata Nexon Lands Upside Down After Falling From a Flyover, All Occupants Safe: https://indianauto.com/news/tata-nex...mumbai-nid4185
vharihar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th February 2020, 10:14   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vharihar View Post
Tata Nexon Lands Upside Down After Falling From a Flyover, All Occupants Safe: https://indianauto.com/news/tata-nex...mumbai-nid4185
While I appreciate the car for holding up so well, the less said about the article the better. It looks like a paid advertisement for the car rather than a car accident report
arvind71181 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th February 2020, 10:33   #29
Senior - BHPian

Tata can say they are not interested in fighting a price war, but it's one they lost. Ever since the Indica, Tata hatches were aimed squarely at maruti by providing better build quality and space for the same price point. Tata designed products to be good, but then cost cut them to an inch of their life by decontenting and lax qc. Maruti responded, by designing cheapness into their products, which it then makes to a pretty decent consistency. This is one thing which I admire about maruti. What other manufacturers aspire to do at a tactical level, maruti manages to pull off at a strategic level. I am not sure which is safer, a car with passive and active safety which may have niggles occasionally, or a car which just (but can be relied upon to) meet mandated minimum regulatory requirements

Last edited by greenhorn : 24th February 2020 at 10:36.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks