Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th January 2020, 15:42   #1
Senior - BHPian

Mercedes to launch V-Class Marco Polo camper on Feb 6

Mercedes-Benz is scheduled to launch the V-Class Marco Polo camper van on February 6 at the 2020 Auto Expo.

Mercedes to launch V-Class Marco Polo camper on Feb 6-image-2-4.jpg

The Marco Polo is based on the V-Class MPV which has been on sale in India since November 2019. Mercedes describes it as a "luxury camper" and "mobile mini home". In the international market, the Marco Polo comes with swivel seats, rear seats that can be folded into a bed, integrated drawers and cabinets.

Mercedes to launch V-Class Marco Polo camper on Feb 6-image-1-6.jpg

In India, the V-Class is currently offered in Expression, Exclusive and Elite trims. It is powered by a 2.0-litre, 4-cylinder diesel engine that produces 161 BHP @ 4,200 rpm and 380 Nm @ 1,400-2,400 rpm. The engine is mated to a 9-speed automatic transmission. The Marco Polo is expected to get the same engine and gearbox combination.

Mercedes to launch V-Class Marco Polo camper on Feb 6-image-3-3.jpg

Link to Team-BHP News
TusharK is offline   (25) Thanks
Old 27th January 2020, 18:41   #2
BHPian

Re: Mercedes to launch V-Class Marco Polo camper on Feb 6

That is some lovely place to catch sleep during drive.
indian21r is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th January 2020, 08:43   #3
BHPian

Such a tempting vehicle, alas, out of reach of most people who would like to use it as intended. More likely to become preferred choice in vanity vans for film and television personalities :|
chaotic is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 28th January 2020, 11:39   #4
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaotic View Post
More likely to become preferred choice in vanity vans for film and television personalities :|
Exactly what I thought . It's perfect as a vanity van. Camping & all sounds very exotic, but the fact is, the law & order situation in India is poor. Any Mercedes owner who goes camping in this thing will lose his Rolex, iPad, phone & wallet in the first hour itself.
GTO is offline   (24) Thanks
Old 28th January 2020, 14:23   #5
Team-BHP Support

My thoughts exactly, their direct target here is bollywood as a sensibly sized vanity van. People who do long distance touring (perhaps businessmen / politicians) may opt for one too although it is NOT easy to sleep in a moving car with our sort of roads. Bollywood vanity van would be the most obvious application.
Axe77 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 28th January 2020, 18:15   #6

It is actually quite small to be a vanity van for movie stars.

Having seen these vehicles from inside and the kind of basic facilities that are mandatory (Read - meeting area/seating area for at-least 3-4, a makeup area, a decent bathroom and a sleeping room) this is a small vehicle. This is a basic configuration for a decently successful star - the big guys and their vanity vans are nothing short of a 5-star suite on wheels. Also a decently tall person (6 foot) should be able to stand upright without having to crouch.

A TV personality to a movie star, all included generally have an entourage of a minimum of 3 to 10 people and of those 2-3 (Manager,secretary and makup artist) travel with the star. I say this based on having a relative who is a manager to one of the top 3 stars in Bollywood.

It's actually a neither here nor there kind of a vehicle for the Indian market.

Last edited by AspiringIndian : 28th January 2020 at 18:22. Reason: Grammatical mistake corrected
AspiringIndian is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th January 2020, 18:53   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Any Mercedes owner who goes camping in this thing will lose his Rolex, iPad, phone & wallet in the first hour itself.
LOL. Exactly what I thought too. Worse, to steal that ipad some petty thief will break your expensive car windows without a care in the world (happened to my cousin). Been drooling over this car ever since I saw a video of it in youtube many years ago. But its just impractical in our country.
veyron_head is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th January 2020, 19:15   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Am I the only one asking if it comes in a 4WD option?

Trust me they will find some takers for it.

Currently there will a slew of media guys taking the only launch vehicle for camping everywhere - brace for camping stories on all media platforms!!!
Tejas@perioimpl is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th January 2020, 20:09   #9
Team-BHP Support

Some Use Cases
  • Industrialists who do regular pilgrimages
  • NCR/Chandigarh Residents who would like to spend time in the Spiti Valley (I spent a night in a tent - I would love that camper instead!)
  • Industrialists commissioning a plant in a remote site and need something to nap in during the afternoon
  • Politicians on the campaign trail
  • Media companies on film shoots

Last edited by ajmat : 29th January 2020 at 19:43.
ajmat is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 28th January 2020, 23:53   #10
Senior - BHPian

I can assure you this will do better than routine V class.

I have worked with India's biggest car customisation company and customers ready to spend foolish amount of moeny on rather agricultral level Tempo Traveller to turn those into Motorhomes are just way too many. The reason they opted for this was lack of any other viable option. This would change that.
BANDHAV is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 6th February 2020, 11:48   #11
Senior - BHPian

Mercedes V-Class Marco Polo camper launched at Rs. 1.38 crore

Mercedes-Benz has launched the V-Class Marco Polo camper van in India. It is available in two variants 'entry-level' Marco Polo Horizon and 'standard' Marco Polo priced at Rs. 1.38 crore and Rs. 1.46 crore (ex-showroom, India) respectively.

Mercedes to launch V-Class Marco Polo camper on Feb 6-image-2-4.jpg

The V-Class Marco Polo is based on the long-wheelbase version of the V-Class. It measures 5,140 mm in length, 1,928 mm in width, 1,901 mm in height and its wheelbase is 3,200 mm.

The V-Class Marco Polo has room for four people and comes equipped with a sofa-cum-bed, a fold-out table, a wardrobe and a kitchenette.

It is powered by a 2.0-litre, 4-cylinder diesel engine that produces 161 BHP @ 4,200 rpm and 380 Nm @ 1,400-2,400 rpm. The engine is mated to a 9-speed automatic transmission.

Link to Team-BHP News

Last edited by TusharK : 6th February 2020 at 11:49.
TusharK is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th February 2020, 21:48   #12
Team-BHP Support

Too much expensive and Mercedes has not bothered to change the layout for RHD markets resulting in the rear sliding door on the wrong side. There is a small shelf/ kitchenette on the other side.

Mercedes to launch V-Class Marco Polo camper on Feb 6-whatsapp-image-20200206-9.44.28-pm.jpeg

This cover looked very flimsy and I am not aware of any camping sites where we can get access to Electricity.

Mercedes to launch V-Class Marco Polo camper on Feb 6-whatsapp-image-20200206-9.43.34-pm.jpeg
Mercedes to launch V-Class Marco Polo camper on Feb 6-whatsapp-image-20200206-9.43.34-pm-1.jpeg

Some of the other interior like cupboard/ bed looked of very high quality though.

Mercedes to launch V-Class Marco Polo camper on Feb 6-whatsapp-image-20200206-9.44.28-pm-1.jpeg
Turbanator is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th February 2020, 21:51   #13
BHPian

Looks like Merc got inspired by the VW California. Comes with almost everything the California offers.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 6th February 2020 at 21:55. Reason: Space.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks