Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th February 2020, 14:18   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

Volkswagen to give up small diesel engines in India

Over the next few weeks, Volkswagen and Skoda will phase out the last of its remaining diesel engine variants used in small cars and sedans. The auto majors are preparing for an all-petrol and battery electric line-up as it gets ready for a fresh new start in India.

The two automotive brands showcased two new sports utility vehicles (SUV) -- Volkswagen Taigun and Skoda Vision IN -- both of which will be sold only with petrol engines. VW becomes the fourth company after Maruti Suzuki, Renault and Volvo to give up diesel engines in India.

Speaking to Moneycontrol, Jurgen Stackmann, member of the board of management, Volkswagen Passenger Cars, said, “Diesel is non-existent in US and China. In Europe, diesel’s share has fallen to 30 percent and in India it is down to 35 percent. We are not looking at small diesel engines for now. The VW Taigun and the Skoda SUV will be coming in diesel engines. We will relook at diesel if we feel there is a need in the future.”

It was diesel engines that got Volkswagen embroiled in a controversy over emission data manipulation, which started in the US before spreading to the rest of the world. In India too, the German giant was forced to recall 3.4 lakh cars across three brands (including Audi) and multiple models after it found that those vehicles were emitting harmful gases higher than rated.

With the end of diesels, VW will not be offering any diesel variants on the Polo and Vento after the implementation of Bharat Stage VI (BS-VI) emission norms on April 1. Diesel engine share in Polo has fallen to 11-12 percent. “It will be only the Tiguan class of vehicles where we would still need diesel engines,” Stackman added.

Source https://www.moneycontrol.com/news/te...a-4900361.html
SnS_12 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 4th February 2020, 16:20   #2
BHPian

re: Volkswagen to give up small diesel engines in India

I think it has more to do with the complexity and cost of new TDI engines. In Europe, VW has added SCR system even to the smallest 1.6 TDI with 95PS in Polo to meet updated Euro6 RDE norms.

I think VW cannot add DPF and NSC to 1.5 TDI & re-engineer it and sell it in the same price range. Think about clogged DPFs & NSCs as well as warranty claims.

On the other hand the 1.4 TSI I am driving in a big Golf estate could return more than 20 kmpl if max speed is kept at 120 kmph in Autobahns. So I think TSI engines are more suitable for small and mid range hatchback/sedans compared to the TDIs with complex SCR systems.
gopi_rm is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th February 2020, 18:46   #3
BHPian

re: Volkswagen to give up small diesel engines in India

I am guessing that the Polo sales will dwindle down now. Being a Polo TDI owner, I usually try and spot every Polo that roams around, and it is very easy to spot a lot of TDIs. My guess is, TSI, followed by TDI, then the puny Petrol and then the ever so rare GT-TDI.
With VW taking away the TDI, I am guessing that the Polo sales would drop to as low as 2000 cars per month.
Their GT-TSI also is dropping displacement, might rop sales by another 20%. Expect Polo sales to drop below 2000 in the coming months.
Old 5th February 2020, 10:09   #4
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Volkswagen to give up small diesel engines in India

More than anything, this shows a severe lack of commitment from the VW group to India. VAG won't be having the 2.0 diesel ready in time for the BS6 deadline, and now this news of its smaller diesels too.

Sure, petrol demand has become stronger in the recent past, but diesel still accounts for 1/3rd of the market where the option is available. That number by itself is huge.

Look at Hyundai, on the other hand. They have confirmed that they'll have their small diesel in BS6 guise. Poor Maruti doesn't have the expertise, hence it won't have a small diesel. Even their 1.5L BS6 diesel will be delayed a bit.
GTO is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks