Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th February 2020, 10:28   #46
BHPian

Re: Base variant + aftermarket accessories versus Top variant

Previously, I bought a mid level Ritz and over the years added several accessories (depending on flow of Vitamin M to spare).

This time around, even though we initially went to book a mid level, we finally ended up buying the top most variant.

Reasons being:
Top end variant today offers features that cannot be retrofitted later, like airbags, auto headlight/wipers etc. Few years back, it was mostly allow wheels or a factory fitted entertainment system, which were easily available after market.

In course of my previous car's experience, I realized electrical aftermarket fitting is a tricky job. One needs really reliable hands at work, especially with the wiring. I often ended up buying the stuff at one place and getting it fitted somewhere else. Frankly, even though I loved my car, this was too much of a headache.

Cars today are getting more and more complicated with ECM, BCM TCS and what not. I am merely an enthusiast and not really an expert. I am worried about fitting something which then plays foul with the original setting. For instance, not very sure how a rim/tyre upgrade would affect TCS settings.

Though I do not have hard figures at hand, but a back of the envelope calculation suggests the total cost kind of balances out and you do not really save much in terms of Vitamin M. Take into account the cost (including opportunity cost) of searching, buying and getting it fitted by proper mechanics, and the entire process is quite expensive.

Things are different for some true enthusiasts in this forum who modify their cars, not for monetary considerations, but purely from an enthusiasts point of view. For the more mundane like me, top end makes more sense.
amitayu is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th March 2020, 17:56   #47
BHPian

I firmly believe that top-spec variants with factory-fitted accessories are better than 3rd party accessories on a base variant because the former has the backing of the manufacturer.

Below is my experience in both cases when it came to warranty claims:

Case 1:

In the 4th year of running, the sun-roof mechanism on my i20 Asta (O) became shoddy and wouldn't close properly.

Took it to HASS and they promptly changed it since the car was still under warranty (5 yrs). Also, the entire replacement was free of cost (no labour charges either).

Case 2:

The reverse-camera's display on my 2 year old Eon D-lite went completely black 1 day.
(The variant only came with air-con as standard. Camera was fitted at the HASS dealer separately).

Since it was a 3rd party camera, its warranty was limited to 1 year and wasn't covered under the car's 5 year warranty plan. The dealer helped us get in touch with a company rep, who gave us the location of their nearest service centre - it was 500 kms away.

Finally took it to my trusted FNG who managed to do some jugaad and got it to work.
Old 8th March 2020, 05:45   #48
BHPian

The main and minimum requirements for me, in a car, in any segment are:
( I prefer all these things to be had, as a factory fit only)
1. ABS+2 airbags
2. Rear defogger + Rear washer and wiper
3. Height adjustable driver seat
4. Electrically adjustable ORVMs
5. All 4 power windows
6. Decent factory fitted sound system

I am not much bothered about other fancy stuff and gizmos.
And I don't mind certain accessories like alloys, spoilers, horn etc. But will try to stay away from aftermarket electrical accessories most of the times.

Base Variant + Accessories: NO for me
Obviously, any base variant will not have all the above features together as a factory spec. So base variant is a strict no for me.

Mid Variant + Accessories: Yes in few cars
Incase all the above 6 requirements are fulfilled in mid variant, I don't mind buying one.
For example,
I am happy to buy mid variants like Baleno delta, Scross Zeta, Seltos HTK+, Jazz V etc.
But won't be happy with i20 sports, Swift VXi, Nexon XM, Duster RXS etc

Top Variant: An obvious YES
Since the top variant will have all my requirements fulfilled with additional features, will surely prefer it (if it's in my budget)

So, for me it's either top Variant or mid variant (with my requirements met) only.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitayu View Post
In course of my previous car's experience, I realized electrical aftermarket fitting is a tricky job. One needs really reliable hands at work, especially with the wiring. I often ended up buying the stuff at one place and getting it fitted somewhere else. Frankly, even though I loved my car, this was too much of a headache.
Yes, rightly said by you. I can easily relate myself in this scenario.
The after market fitting needs a reliable hands, especially if it's related to electrical work.

I had a pre-owned i20, bought from my uncle. When I bought the car, it already had few after market accessories like autocop, reverse camera with monitor, fog lamps, horn.
All were good for few days. But, slowly the accesories started giving up. Camera display went off, fog lamps gave up, auto cop started acting weird.

Finally battery drain issue started, which even the A.S.S couldn't rectify. And thankfully, an experienced electrician at a FNG identified that the auto cop circuit and module was the culprit.
Changed the complete set of autocop and other wiring related to camera and fog lamps.(the earlier wiring was not proper)
The problem was rectified and never cropped up again

But after this incident, I am too sceptical about after market electrical accessories. Nothing can beat the factory fit and peace of mind it brings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitayu View Post
Things are different for some true enthusiasts in this forum who modify their cars, not for monetary considerations, but purely from an enthusiasts point of view. For the more mundane like me, top end makes more sense.
Truly said !
My opinion too is on the same thoughts. If I need any feature in my car, top end makes more sense.The peace of mind it brings is unmatchable.
DLC5005 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks