Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd April 2020, 19:48   #1
Senior - BHPian

Toyota Etios range & Corolla Altis discontinued in India

Toyota has discontinued the Etios, Etios Liva, Etios Cross and Corolla Altis in India. The cars are no longer listed on the company's official website.

Toyota Etios range & Corolla Altis discontinued in India-altis.jpg

Toyota will not be updating its 1.4-litre diesel engine to comply with BS6 emission norms and has therefore been phased out. This engine was offered in the Etios range and the Corolla Altis.

Toyota Etios range & Corolla Altis discontinued in India-liva.jpg

In the Etios range, the 1.4-litre diesel engine was tuned to develop 67 BHP @ 3,800 rpm and 170 Nm @ 1,800-2,400 rpm, while in the Corolla Altis is made 87 BHP @ 3,800 rpm and 205 Nm @ 1,800-2,800 rpm.

It has also been reported that the market for the Corolla Altis had shrunk to around 500-600 units per month, which is believed to be one of the reasons why the car has been discontinued. However, media reports suggest that a hybrid variant of the car could be launched in the future.

Link to Team-BHP News
TusharK is offline   (26) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2020, 21:47   #2
BHPian

Re: Toyota Etios range & Corolla Altis discontinued in India

If this is how Toyota wants to play, let them play. Discontinuing international product like Corolla and not bringing Hybird variant (if they intend to) before discontinuing they will be left with Innova and Fortuner and of-course re-badged Marutis. Man, it has been disappointing year from Toyota. I feel Camry will also be gone in sometime. Not sure why Velfire was launched. This is not going anywhere.
CarBot is offline   (28) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2020, 22:30   #3
BHPian

Not surprised that the Etios, Etios Liva, and Etios Cross are discontinued. But Corolla? One of the best selling international models!

I am sure it will be back few years later - just as it happened with Honda (Civic). Folks willing to buy an used Corolla might be able to score some really good deals (on account of it being discontinued). And few years later, will still be able to live happily (on account of it being potentially re-continued)!

The games manufacturers play!
Miyata is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2020, 22:42   #4
BHPian

I am bit surprised why they discontinued Etios as well. It was selling decent numbers, more or less same numbers as Glanza and was an absolute darling among the cabbies! The 1.5 petrol engine of Etios has already been made BS6 compliant and is doing duty on the Yaris! They could have invested a bit and made a sub 4m Etios derivative compact petrol sedan and pitted it against the Dzire/Amaze.
Old 2nd April 2020, 22:52   #5
Senior - BHPian

Toyota have been flogging the lame donkey with the Etios & Liva. They were wonderful cars, but styling let them down. Hopefully a lesson learnt by Toyota.

With regards to the corolla, the new gen car should be launched in India anytime soon. I'm guessing it was not worth the costs to get the old 1.8 L engine certified for BS6.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miyata View Post
But Corolla? One of the best selling international models!
landcruiser123 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2020, 23:51   #6
Senior - BHPian

Finally out of compulsion Toyota has sunset these outdated models. The likes of etios and liva looked so dated even when they were launched. Hope this would make them to bring newer models to India and hope they wouldn't be content with cross badged Marutis.
Bibendum90949 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2020, 23:53   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

The Etios twins discontinuation was expected, hope my Etios D doesn't take too much of a depreciation hit.

Only disappointment is that the cheapest proper Toyota becomes the overpriced Yaris.
Can't understand why they don't bring in the 2020 Yaris (costs?) or atleast the Daihatsu shared products; Avanza or Rush.

The Raize if launched, would be a smash hit (for a second imagine the Covid-19 nightmare is over) in the Nexon/Brezza segment. Under 4m length and a 1.0l turbo petrol, this looks custom made for our small car regulations.
Though with Toyota & Maruti developing a Creta rival on a stretched DNGA platform means a new model is a couple of years away, that too in the 13+ lakhs segment.

The Corolla, if TKM can assemble and sell the Camry here, they could very well sell the 2020 Corolla here.
Bring a petrol manual (to avoid sticker shock) and a hybrid variant (for automatic transmission and diesel buyers)

Price them bang in the Innova range.
A 15+ lakh car is not exactly mass market, but a proper hybrid in the Innova price range will sure do wonders for the hybrid cause than the 40+ lac Camry or 80+ lac Vellfire will ever do.
Old 3rd April 2020, 06:43   #8
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miyata View Post
Not surprised that the Etios, Etios Liva, and Etios Cross are discontinued. But Corolla? One of the best selling international models!
That's pretty simple. They are not launching the new Corolla here and won't keep the old one alive just for India.
vb-saan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2020, 07:03   #9
BHPian

The market for sedans is simply shrinking. Many people who would have bought a Corolla 10 years ago today would maybe spend those 2 million on a Harrier or a Seltos.
chieftain is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2020, 07:50   #10
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Toyota India is now a utility vehicle maker first, and a carmaker second. So sad, especially when you consider their impressive range of products abroad. All Toyota India would need to do is handpick them and localise a bit for India. But no, Toyota India has been among the laziest MNC manufacturers around. And now that they have Suzuki spoon-feeding them with new cars, the product guys can put their feet up & chill on the recliner.

If this culture were to ever spread to Maruti (when they buy it), you will start seeing the end of the no.1 manufacturer in India.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chieftain View Post
The market for sedans is simply shrinking.
Agreed to an extent. But the one for crossovers has exploded? Where are Toyota's crossovers? Not a SINGLE crossover in their offering.

The range is so small that they have listed the Innova Touring Sport as a different model . The Innova, Fortuner & Camry are the only good Toyotas on sale today. The others include a rebadged Maruti, a flopped sedan and an exorbitantly priced CBU van that looks absolutely pointless next to a Kia Carnival:
Toyota Etios range & Corolla Altis discontinued in India-annotation-20200403-074547.png
GTO is offline   (27) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2020, 08:09   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post

Agreed to an extent. But the one for crossovers has exploded? Where are Toyota's crossovers? Not a SINGLE crossover in their offering.
I had wanted to include that in my post, but the truth is Toyota does not have such an entry level crossover in their lineup anywhere in the world (let alone their global lineup)-- except, maybe, the Rush from the SE Asia markets. (I keep hearing rumors about that one, not sure what is going on there).

I assume they will be slapping their badge on a Maruti Brezza and calling it a day

Last edited by khan_sultan : 3rd April 2020 at 08:11. Reason: line spacing
chieftain is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2020, 08:23   #12
Senior - BHPian

If you wanted to write a book "How To kill Brand Equity - For Dummies" and didn't know where to start..
AMG Power is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2020, 08:24   #13
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by chieftain View Post
I had wanted to include that in my post, but the truth is Toyota does not have such an entry level crossover in their lineup anywhere in the world (let alone their global lineup)
Why should Toyota just think entry-level? The Seltos & Creta are hardly entry-level. And neither is the Kodiaq which has quite a following in India.

It disappoints me how the largest (or 2nd largest) car maker in the world treats India.
GTO is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2020, 08:32   #14
Senior - BHPian

The Avanza is a really good product suited to the T for India. I can't understand what the folks at Toyota are thinking. They should have brought this to India instead of the Yaris. Rush is slightly more premium but I believe it sits on the same platform as the Avanza. These are the products they should be looking at instead of badge engineering from Maruti.
Old 3rd April 2020, 08:56   #15
Team-BHP Support

I'm sad to see the Corolla Altis go from Toyota's India lineup. It's been around since 2003 and has been one of the most successful sedans in India. Plus I own a 2009 one.

Corolla always had a market for itself. It was the safe choice and one which people opted for over the fully loaded Elantra, sleek looking Civic and the performance oriented Laura, Jetta and Octavia.

Since the 2014 model, Toyota somewhat lost it's way. It went down in features, went up in price and Toyota tried to change the image to younger sporty car which it was never really under the skin. The interiors lost the luxury and sophisticated feel and it stopped appealing as much to older clienteles cause of this.

Toyota can still get back the Corolla to India but I think it needs to look at competition closely. What it really needs is a Hybrid powertrain and a regular NA one as well.

The new gen interiors are also way more cleaner:
Toyota Etios range & Corolla Altis discontinued in India-motoristmreviewtoyotacorollaaltis2020interior.jpg
Vid6639 is offline   (11) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks