Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th April 2020, 19:05   #16
BHPian

Re: I exported my Ford Endeavour from India to the UK!

Quote:
Originally Posted by srinath34 View Post
...If you don't mind, could you share how much did it cost you in total to have the car on England shores?
hi srinath34. inr 5 lakhs (excluding flights/accommodation) is a good average to consider when budgeting for transportation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
...You have mentioned the various costs involved. Can I request you to also provide a final figure including all the costs that were involved. Just wanted to get an idea.
hi drmohitg...too many variables to delve into granular expense although for workable budget purposes: inr 5 lakhs inc collection on transporter from Bhubaneswar to Kolkata, Customs Clearance, Lashing (securing to container), loading, shipping, off-loading/THC, customs clearance/Felixstowe, transporter to final destination. I opted for door-to-door service for practical reasons.

Savings for example could be made if you opted for collection from port as long as you turn up with fuel can, jumper cables ensuring car has been insured to drive (less straightforward when relying on VIN prior to registration as fewer insurers are prepared to cover imports). Though not encouraged, before the vehicle is registered and taxed, you may lawfully drive to and from a garage provided it has been pre-booked for an MOT test.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaiSW View Post
...I was wondering, is there a change in diesel quality in the UK? Will it affect the car?
hi SaiSW. this could populate a whole chapter. suffice to say I've not experienced any adverse effects. Premium fuel options exist which include additives dispensed direct from UK pumps. I prefer regular fuel grades choosing to use additives separately that include corrosion inhibitors, biocides and cetane enhancers. ultimately a cleaner fuel burn optimises combustion resulting in better mileage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sran View Post
...One thing if I may ask, why is there no 7 seater endeavour or any other full fledged 3 litre 7 seater suv in uk as you mentioned?
hi Sran, my focus has been on the 4x4 Titanium variant of the Endeavour which I've owned since Sept 2019. Other model brands of SUVs including 7 seaters are available to purchase here. I prefer the robustness of ladder frame chassis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fache89 View Post
...I have one question though. India and UK have different emission norms. I understand that there may be Euro 4 cars already on the UK roads. I reckon your car must be BS4 and UK must have Euro 6 now. In India, you can no longer register BS4 vehicles , I'm assuming it must be similar in UK. Was there something in the regulations that permitted you to register an imported BS4 vehicle.
hi fache89, my Endy is BSIII. Regs have tightened...since 1st April 2020 annual road tax is calculated on emissions. My original registration was dated March 5 - Even though I had the choice during re-submission to amend start date to 1st April, I chose to pay the extra whole month's tax for March being registration month. Where the market value is upwards of gbp 40k at time of first registration then expect to pay few hundred pounds more. In the absence of verified emissions, registrations for personal imports are based on private light goods (PLG) tariff for vehicles weighing less than 3.5 tons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
...I guess that is why you needed an individual vehicle approval?
hi Jeroen, yes IVA is required for vehicles imported from outside the EU and is quite stringent where health & safety is concerned hence the axle weight scenario I experienced. Exceeding permitted values will invalidate your insurance.
Arbind Ray is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 7th April 2020, 19:58   #17

I literally read the title 3 times to be really sure of what I read. It was indeed a great writeup.
To someone like me who dosent want to encounter the hassle of transferring a motorcycle from one state to another, this is at a whole new level!
I am curious to know if there was any specific reason why you wanted to take it to England when there are other capable cars back there?

-VJ
vijay_jambu is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 7th April 2020, 20:48   #18
BHPian

Wow, that is some serious groundwork and conviction I must say. It will be an attraction wherever you take it around the UK.
I remember reading about some differences between the Indian version of Endy and those sold outside of India (k-truss on the chassis), I hope service and spares never become a hindrance in your ownership experience on foreign soil
aabhimanyu04 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th April 2020, 21:02   #19
Senior - BHPian

Hi Arbind, congratulations and a pleasant surprise that it all went smoothly for you. Enjoy the Endeavour in the UK. Service wise you should be covered well since 3.2 Ford Ranger sells officially there and shares a lot of underlying parts with the Endeavour. Do share some lovely snaps of UK countryside with the Ford in frames.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arbind Ray View Post
my Endy is BSIII
You mean BS4. Launched in early 2016, new Gen Endeavour can't possibly be a BSIII, period. If that't what it said on your Indian RC, it must have been a mistake by RTO. Happened to me in case of my Fortuner, which was technically a BS4 [Toyota launched Fortuner in July 2009 (as a BS4 ready vehicle)], registered in the times of BS3 (Dec 2009) while my RC and RTO records said it was BS2!
Ace F355 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th April 2020, 21:58   #20
BHPian

NOW THAT IS EPIC!
Remembered a speech from an Akshay Kumar Movie to the Englishman. Its truly Namaste London!

BTW I was curious, what about the remaining years Road Tax. In totalled cases on cancellation of registration, we do get a refund.
Knowledge Coutesy: Teambhp.
H Karter is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th April 2020, 23:57   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vijay_jambu View Post
...I am curious to know if there was any specific reason why you wanted to take it to England when there are other capable cars back there? -VJ
hi vijay_jambu, a BHPian DM'd me earlier today saying he had shipped his SUV from US to Finland purely because the maths worked. In my case this partly applies however in the absence of sentiment I don’t think I’d have got off the starting block especially when dealing with the bureaucracy involved 😊 You mention 'capable cars' back here. I switched my S320 L for the XJ L Autobiography...does that count?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace F355 View Post
...You mean BS4. Launched in early 2016, new Gen Endeavour can't possibly be a BSIII, period. If that't what it said on your Indian RC, it must have been a mistake by RTO....
Hi Ace F355, for what its worth, checking out the Endy's VIN on couple of online VIN Decoder websites shows it to be a 2010 Ford Galaxy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by H Karter View Post
...BTW I was curious, what about the remaining years Road Tax. In totalled cases on cancellation of registration, we do get a refund. Knowledge Coutesy: Teambhp.
hi H Karter, obtaining a refund 5000 miles away in this climate will certainly be intriguing.
Arbind Ray is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th April 2020, 14:34   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
... I switched my S320 L for the XJ L Autobiography...does that count?
When are you planning to give us a deep insight into the big villainous Jaaagggggg, though? Do you already have been stopped and enquired by curious motorists with your "IND" number plate? (now though nothing would be possible)
Old 8th April 2020, 19:29   #23
BHPian

Interesting thread Arbind. Enjoy British summers once the lockdown is over. Drive down to the Lakes and take it on a trip to Scotland. How much are you paying for the annual road tax and insurance?

I would be interested in a thread for taking your car back from UK to India ��
CountMe91 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th April 2020, 23:09   #24
BHPian

This is like a pre-adventure of the series of adventures which would now begin. And perfect timing (before Covid could delay it) !

On one hand - I think this very clearly demonstrates the gaps in our internal processes (RTO related) which could primarily be because very few brave souls pursue ventures like these. More importantly though - there are decent gaps which Ford should be taking care off for cars in India (a simple VIN plate with weight details which is also illustrated in the manual should not be an item which a company decides to drop down from the list when launching in India).

On the other hand - Ford India leadership and customer support were quite supportive (while also puzzled and bemused since they are used to managing escalations of a different kind revolving around warranty claims and Sync 3) updates). Also - this now sets the precedent for any other enthusiast attempting to do the same (India to UK makes a lot of sense for this car given the costs involved - for the 3.2L engine I mean).

The process is very well articulated and the learnings here can save a lot of time and effort. Kudos for compiling it.

The hassles here would probably make the upcoming travels more sweet - we all look forward to pictures of a car which has "Endeavour" written on it plying the highlands of UK, and possibly EU and Iceland in near future.

Here is to many more jealous and excited on-lookers on the island wondering what Ranger that is.. !!
prateekvidya is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th April 2020, 03:17   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaKilo View Post
When are you planning to give us a deep insight into the big villainous Jaaagggggg, though?
No plans AlphaKilo. I preferred the all round air suspension of the S Class compared to rear only on the XJ though the XJ's lightweight aluminum body makes for good acceleration

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountMe91 View Post
...How much are you paying for the annual road tax and insurance?
Fully Comprehensive Insurance with voluntary gbp 300 excess and 50% NCB (matched to primary vehicle) is gbp 1100.00 which is expected to improve on its anniversary. Road tax is gbp 265.00 per year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prateekvidya View Post
....On one hand - I think this very clearly demonstrates the gaps in our internal processes (RTO related) which could primarily be because very few brave souls pursue ventures like these. More importantly though - there are decent gaps which Ford should be taking care off for cars in India (a simple VIN plate with weight details which is also illustrated in the manual should not be an item which a company decides to drop down from the list when launching in India).
Prateek, thanks to your support I was able to conclude UK registration sooner rather than later and am mindful of help from well-wishers whose contribution no matter how seemingly insignificant at the time, has proven to be valuable in it's outcomes.

On the subject of RTO's, I do wonder if other States rely on antiquated rule books as it's effects can be debilitating to say the least.
Arbind Ray is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th April 2020, 11:55   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
No plans AlphaKilo. I preferred the all round air suspension of the S Class compared to rear only on the XJ though the XJ's lightweight aluminum body makes for good acceleration
The S-Class's airmatic/magic carpet has no competition in the industry. It wins hands down in terms of comfort and smoothness but Jag is much like the A8/7series. It is meant to be driven than being chauffeured around.

I hope there is no driving ban for Euro 5 or older vehicles in the UK. Let me know when you come to the east side of the European mainland. The Taxes and pollution charges are absurd but it is ok as long as one doesn't have leave the car in the garage.
AlphaKilo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th April 2020, 17:30   #27
BHPian

Just brilliant! Kudos to your patience, planning and effort to successfully register a car in UK after exporting it from India. If our RTO and customs clearance system supported this in a better manner, many used cars in India could successfully be exported to other markets and there could even be a thriving industry for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace F355 View Post
Service wise you should be covered well since 3.2 Ford Ranger sells officially there and shares a lot of underlying parts with the Endeavour.
Definitely. Service support shouldn't be an issue at all in UK or EU for the periodic service items as well as the wear n tear parts. In most cases, part availability and service response might be faster than in India for these basic items, as well as the skilled knowledge for diagnosing issues.
Maybe special ordering would be required for the body parts/trims or suspension items related to the coil-sprung rear axle of the Endy, but that's about it and I am pretty sure they would be able to source it officially. At least in bigger cities, they have to cater to diplomatic vehicles also, which often are models not sold in domestic markets.

Quote:
You mean BS4. Launched in early 2016, new Gen Endeavour can't possibly be a BSIII, period.
Quote:
Hi Ace F355, for what its worth, checking out the Endy's VIN on couple of online VIN Decoder websites shows it to be a 2010 Ford Galaxy!
VIN decoders are rarely accurate for models produced in different markets. The logic used for the content and placement of the digits could vary. Your vehicle is definitely BS4. There was never a BS3 version for this generation of the Endeavour and in general for manufactures who introduced a common-rail diesel in India after April 2010. But then again BS4 does not mean vehicle is EU4 as the emission test cycle is different between the two markets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
Believe it or not. My Jaguar, build in the UK, bought by me second hand in the USA and eventually did take back to my home country in the Netherlands did not have an EU type approval! The USA version, or at least mine, did not have a formal EU approval. Even though the difference are less than minor and with the exception of the indicators, it is neary all cosmetic!
‘Type approval’ for a VIN is almost solely dependent on the final destination market of the vehicle (as intended by the OEM), irrespective of where it is manufactured/assembled. Exceptions are when there is agreement between specific countries or regions to respect each others' type-approval certifications.

Example: For certain categories of CBU vehicles, or more recently for a limited volume per year, India will respect an EU Type approval (Eg: WVTA) and the importer/OEM needn’t homologate the vehicle again in India. Even in such cases there would be a lot of effort for a customer in India to obtain the original EU type approval in case he wishes to export it outside India. Eventually, individual type approval would be the easiest to make them road legal, or find alternatives/exemption (based on local regulations).

As you rightly mentioned, in most cases, the actual difference between cars will be quite minimal between a vehicle type approved for US vs EU vs India or some other markets. Often as simple as side markers on headlamps vs having them on the fender/ORVM, different certification for the OE supplied tyres or even certain symbols/colours for warnings on the instrument cluster etc.
The differences can be significantly more also when it comes down to specific emission certifications, specific crash structures added uniquely for a market (Eg: for the small overlap tests in US).

Quote:
In the Netherlands it would have costed in the region of Euro 2500 - 3500 to get an individual vehicle approval.
While on the topic of Individual type approval, I am aware of a Tata Nano CX (2013 model that was type approved in NL in 2015) in Netherlands, which was on sale last year. While the advertisement is no longer active, I recall the owner describing the efforts he had taken to get the individual type approval.
Here is a screenshot from my chat history, when a Dutch friend shared it with me
I exported my Ford Endeavour from India to the UK!-used-tata-nano-marktplaats.jpg

I am not sure if it is the same car, but here is an article on a private import of Tata Nano to the Netherlands.

Cheers,
Avinash
avinash_clt is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th April 2020, 14:34   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aabhimanyu04 View Post
Wow, that is some serious groundwork and conviction I must say. It will be an attraction wherever you take it around the UK.
I remember reading about some differences between the Indian version of Endy and those sold outside of India (k-truss on the chassis), I hope service and spares never become a hindrance in your ownership experience on foreign soil
Thanks aabhimanyu04, I bought my Endy in September 2016. Not sure whether shipped in as CBU from Thailand into India at the time. Took these pics from underneath yesterday;
Attached Thumbnails
I exported my Ford Endeavour from India to the UK!-img_20200425_110935.jpg  

I exported my Ford Endeavour from India to the UK!-img_20200425_110805.jpg  

Old 27th April 2020, 15:24   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks aabhimanyu04, I bought my Endy in September 2016. Not sure whether shipped in as CBU from Thailand into India at the time. Took these pics from underneath yesterday;
I am not sure if I can identify the k-Truss in your chassis, I don't want to disappoint you by saying "it is missing". Maybe an expert here can.

Refer to the below thread in your free time:

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...version-3.html (Pics: Chassis of Indian Ford Endeavour has less support than the international version!)

What I recall from it is that K-Truss is only for countries where attaching a trailer is legal( a theory only), it is not in India.

I am not sure about the UK but before you install such a thing please check with ASS if there is a K-Struss in your vehicle (for additional strength to the chassis).
The rest of the engine parts\child parts should be the same for all Endys.
Old 27th April 2020, 18:34   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aabhimanyu04 View Post
I am not sure if I can identify the k-Truss in your chassis, I don't want to disappoint you by saying "it is missing". Maybe an expert here can.

Refer to the below thread in your free time:
Hi aabhimanyu04, thanks for the link. I had indeed read all 21 pages in my 'free time' before taking the above pics. As I have no intention to tow a trailer, as long as I'm within legal limits of combined gross axle weights as confirmed by Ford Australia for the Endeavour (image below) I do not envisage any problems.

I have already been contacted by ARB overlander aftermarket company based in Peterborough which I will be visiting once Lockdown measures have been relaxed. If my needs change then I will look at the option of including the K-truss after confirming its requirement with either Ford IND/UK/US or AUS to ensure compliance. I've grown up with memories of Carry on Camping and with the advent of Glamping / Staycations on the rise recently, my preference of booking into hotels remains unchanged as my appetite for work wanes with age

As an aside...there is a specialist audio company that is able to include UK mapping for satellite navigation at a cost of gbp 199.00 on the Sync 2 itself. I will compare the cost of upgrading to Sync 3 before I decide.
Attached Thumbnails
I exported my Ford Endeavour from India to the UK!-axle-weights-verified.jpg  

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks