Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th April 2020, 13:48   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: 1st Indian lady without hands could get a driving license

While I totally agree that people like her should be encouraged to drive, when the license is granted it must be with certain wrappers. One is to restrict the max speed that she will be able to drive at, and the kind of roads that she would be allowed to drive in. Its absolutely a necessity these days to be able to drive oneself around town for various reasons like office commute, errands etc. However, driving on highways where the speeds of other vehicles are higher would need good reflexes to be able to be able to handle any unexpected situation. Another reason is for her own safety - Sitting in that position isnt safe for a crash. Hence, keeping this in mind, I feel licenses must be granted with certain conditions attached. Of course enforcement of such things is hardly done in India, but it will at least make people aware of what best they should be able to do without putting themselves to harm.
audioholic is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th April 2020, 18:11   #17
Senior - BHPian

Fabulous achievement. Definitely deserves big applause
But, are the Indian road scenarios suitable for this lady?

I saw few people blaming Indian traffic scenarios but my point is, the driver should build capability to suit the scenarios rather than blaming the traffic scenarios itself.

So, I strongly think as per Indian traffic rules that has been defined clearly, only those who are physically fit need to be granted license.

The funny part is, those who don't have head gets license easily in India and they kill people on road like street dogs. There is none to stop this

Last edited by gkveda : 11th April 2020 at 18:13.
Old 13th April 2020, 17:24   #18
BHPian

As a differently abled, driving two hand controlled cars for the last 13 years, I know the hardships involved in convincing and changing people's mindsets even though there are rules allowing the same . I also know the liberation involved. And for people worried about "reflexes" and things like that, whatever an "abled bodied" person does with a normal car, we can do with our modified car with as much ease. Before the Wright Brothers took off, people would have thought flying is impossible. All the best sister! Hope your case is a milestone in liberating many such cases.

Last edited by rageshgr : 13th April 2020 at 17:26.
rageshgr is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 14th April 2020, 13:19   #19
BHPian

First of all, respect from the bottom of my heart to this lady for having reached where she has! Just imagine what all she would have gone through so far to just have gotten the learner's permit. The article says she started in 2014, that is 6 years ago.

I'm a little taken aback by the opinions that she shouldn't be given a driver's license. If she can pass the test designed by the Motor Vehicles Department, why should she not be given a license? Is the MVD checking "reflexes" and ability to combat special circumstances for you or I? The basic necessity for anyone in our country to be given a driver's license is the ability to take an "H"! If
Jilumol can do that, she should definitely be given her license!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunishsamuel View Post
However, i am skeptical about how reflexes will work when using legs to control a car in tricky situations. Of course this is not to undermine her efforts but thinking about her safety and others.
One should remember that Jilumol has lived her entire life without upper limbs. So her lower limbs work much more than yours or mine - when it comes to flexibility and reflexes. I think it is really unfair to judge her "reflexes" without having a first hand idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha1 View Post
If this lady can drive the car well on her own (without any assistance from anyone else) then she is as good as you or me driving.

Regarding the point about reflexes, and reactions during accidents and near-misses: I am of the opinion that most accidents happen because of overconfidence (nothing to do with reflexes). And that luck plays a very high role in survival in such situations.
Yes, exactly my point!

Again yes, most accidents happen when we're put into a situation where reflexes won't help anymore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
Another reason is for her own safety - Sitting in that position isnt safe for a crash. Hence, keeping this in mind, I feel licenses must be granted with certain conditions attached.
I do agree to this point though. Also (as someone else had opined), it might not be a good idea for her to drive an Airbag equipped car. But still, these are factors which affect only her safety and not that of ohers. In that case, we should also not be allowing children to travel on cars without being strapped into a car seat! Is there even a law stating that?

I think we should look at the bigger picture of a differently abled person being allowed to drive herself around independently, rather than nitpicking for reasons to not allow her to.
Old 14th April 2020, 13:22   #20
Senior - BHPian

Probably slightly OT, but a related question: Do people with only one eye functioning get the driving license?
Old 14th April 2020, 13:52   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo_Ipe View Post
I do agree to this point though. Also (as someone else had opined), it might not be a good idea for her to drive an Airbag equipped car. But still, these are factors which affect only her safety and not that of ohers.
The issue with an airbag here is, considering her driving position of keeping the right leg folded upwards for steering, if the airbag deploys in this position, it is more likely to damage her legs pretty badly rather than doing any good. Thats the very reason I feel this type of driving is quite unsafe at higher speeds say above 40kmph or any airbag triggering incident. In fact I personally would like the airbag to be disabled for such a person. They work in the intended manner only if the driver and other occupants are seated in the expected position.

So to repeat what I said earlier, it is totally fine that people like her are encouraged to drive since that greatly increases their independence. However the extent of driving must be clearly defined and restricted. How much of it is enforced is a different matter altogether. There are so many instances of people driving without a license. But when we talk about the legal manner of getting a license, there must be conditions too.
audioholic is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks