Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th April 2020, 12:29   #1
Senior - BHPian

Rumour: Volkswagen Ameo discontinued in India

The Volkswagen Ameo is no longer listed on the brand's official website, which suggest that the model may have been discontinued.

Rumour: Volkswagen Ameo discontinued in India-ameo.jpg

The Ameo compact sedan was available with a 1.2-litre petrol engine producing 74 BHP and 110 Nm, which was later replaced with a 1.0-litre, 3-cylinder petrol engine that produced 75 BHP @ 6,200 rpm and 95 Nm of torque @ 3,000-4,300 rpm. The car was also offered with a 1.5-litre diesel unit that made 109 BHP @ 4,000 rpm and 250 Nm @ 1,500-3,000 rpm.

While the Polo and Vento received BS6-compliant 1.0-litre naturally aspirated and turbocharged petrol engines, the Ameo did not receive this upgrade.

Link to Team-BHP News
TusharK is online now   (11) Thanks
Old 9th April 2020, 13:55   #2
BHPian

Re: Rumour: Volkswagen Ameo discontinued in India

Perhaps the only car to be offered with Diesel + DSG under 10 lakhs in our market. It makes to the history.

Sometimes I wonder, the manufacturing would have been easy for Ameo.
Produce the already in market Vento, Take a robotic knife; Chop the boot.

Look at the rear of Ameo with cuboid styled tailights, It is a perfect cut.

Jokes apart, The Compact Sedans are crowded with competition. VW was late and did not offer much in Ameo.
In fact, it was cheaper with discounts than Polo on some occasions to push it to market.

It is inevitable and a lesson for VW to offer something different in Indian market.
You can't take a decade old design, play with face or back and befool us.

Last edited by procrastinator : 9th April 2020 at 13:57.
procrastinator is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 9th April 2020, 14:40   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

VW created so much hype around the Ameo before launch especially with regard to 'Made for India', the investment made etc etc. When it finally launched, we were all like - 'What was the fuss all about', you have extended the Polo (or chopped the Vento) - depending on how you want to look at it.

Having said that, like all VW models, it did manage to motor along with some half decent numbers during its peak. Never really dropped to very poor numbers.

Not a model that will be missed I guess.
Rajeevraj is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 9th April 2020, 17:51   #4
BHPian

three/four years ago, I was looking for a new car, checked Ameo Diesel, took a TD and boy it was fun. Of course the boot is an eye sore, but mechanicals for the price were a juicy deal.

I still walked out because of two reasons:
1) the cabin is claustrophobic
2) I asked the sales person, "Since this is India specific model, if the model doesn't do well and you discontinued, I would suffer because I wouldn't be able to source spares even internationally".

Last edited by Thermodynamics : 9th April 2020 at 17:53.
Thermodynamics is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th April 2020, 20:31   #5
BHPian

Ameo had a very short lifespan in the Automobile world. It was launched in 2016 June and has been discontinued in 2020 April, which means not even 4 years in business. The model didn't survive long enough even to get a facelift. How will VW manage the investments made for this model?

Perhaps it was the failure of their compact sedan that compelled VW officials to concentrate more on higher segments.

Last edited by Flyer : 9th April 2020 at 20:39.
Flyer is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th April 2020, 10:26   #6
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Stupid of VW IMHO. The car was doing 400 - 500 units / month in 2019, which is basically 40 crores gross per month. That's off a model which shares almost everything with two others in your line-up. The Polo - being a decade old model - would have all its production costs surprisingly low (depreciated machinery and all that). It was basically free, zero-effort business for VW. In some months, the Ameo was actually 20% of VW's overall sales.

Just one of the many factors which show how VW is losing interest in India. Dealers will be angered by this move.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
When it finally launched, we were all like - 'What was the fuss all about', you have extended the Polo (or chopped the Vento) - depending on how you want to look at it.
It's based on the Polo (Vento has a different wheelbase length).
GTO is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 10th April 2020, 12:00   #7
BHPian

IMHO, VW India was keeping alive the AMEO by putting it on ventilator (Here I mean discounts)
The lucrative deals to customers with an added boot and better features over Polo kept the sales respectful for VW.

This is how a usual scenario looked at VW dealership.
A customer walks to inquire about Polo. He is given details about variants, pricing and prevailing discounts. Customers thinks and promises to return if he is interested.
But Sales rep takes an opportunity to introduce Ameo.
A perceivably larger car, better features and more discounts.
Customers get serious here. More and cheaper VW.
I have witnessed this thrice. Out of the three, one Polo got converted to Ameo.

TL;DR
At the end of day, Dealers were able to play with two models in market.
A decade old hatch which faces fierce competition and a compact *sedan* which is based on Polo but a newer product for customers with great discounts.

Last edited by procrastinator : 10th April 2020 at 12:01.
procrastinator is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks