Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th April 2020, 06:43   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: Govt. could allow carmakers to resume production

Indian Car Makers Assure Employees About No Salary Cut Or Job Loss Post Lockdown.

Source : carandbike.com

https://www.carandbike.com/news/coro...makers-2218509
Old 27th April 2020, 09:05   #32
Team-BHP Support

As many have said before ...

If the dealerships can't open, what is the point of production.

Even if the dealership opens, what is the point of production if the customer cannot get to it in the foreseeable future.

Even if the customer can get to it, he needs to have income, income security and a need to get somewhere regularly before he plonks capital into a depreciating car.

A vast section of the middle class are going to be fighting for survival in these times, digging deep into savings; or working with reduced salaries / incomes; or working into job loss insecurity. Good luck selling cars to them in these times. Only those who HAVE TO buy a car will possibly find the cheapest way to buy 4 wheels for stop gap purpose or maybe even buy a 2 wheeler if that fulfills the purpose. In any event, most of them probably already own a car and don't need to buy one right away.

This is a pretty empty move IMO. Other FMCG type consumer driven industries need much more urgent move first.
Axe77 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th April 2020, 10:55   #33
Distinguished - BHPian

A very reliable little birdie tells me that KIA has summoned a chunk of their IN & KR executives to their plant to stay there for this week. Intent is to reopen as soon as GoAP allows them to.

They have a great order book so can imagine their impatience.
Old 27th April 2020, 13:11   #34
Distinguished - BHPian

Maruti Suzuki gets permission to start operation at Gurugram plant.

Last week Gurugram administration gave permission to Maruti Suzuki to restart operation at Manesar plant.

Maruti Suzuki has yet to confirm its re-start plans.

Link
Old 3rd May 2020, 16:56   #35
Distinguished - BHPian

Another new video surfaces on entry process at Maruti's Manesar facility:

Leoshashi is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2020, 17:01   #36
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoshashi View Post
Another new video surfaces on entry process at Maruti's Manesar facility
Good for demo but in practice when hundreds get at the time of shifts, it will be chaos. Marking attendance/ matching ID cars physically manually will be very difficult.

They will need to invest in the technology and quickly. Perhaps have different time slots, so few people come at 9, others at 910 and so on.. challenging times.

I like the Toyota PDF someone pasted before.
Turbanator is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 4th May 2020, 11:06   #37
BHPian

Pardon me for my ignorance.

Considering 80 % of cases are asymptomatic, how will this ensure that no "positive" person is walking in ?
Sk8r is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th May 2020, 11:25   #38
Senior - BHPian

Hyundai to reopen Chennai factory from May 6

According to a media report, Hyundai will be reopening its Chennai factory from May 6, 2020, in preparation for resuming production in the coming weeks.

Govt. could allow carmakers to resume production-45assemblyline28.jpg

Following the announcement of the lockdown to contain the Covid-19 pandemic, Hyundai had shutdown production at its factory from March 22. While the government has extended the countrywide lockdown until May 17, it has relaxed lockdown measures in certain parts of the country to promote the resumption of economic activity.

It is said that Hyundai will adhere to the guidelines laid out by the government. The carmaker is also said have taken steps to prevent the spread of infection by sanitizing its facilities and social distancing. It has been reported that Hyundai plans to manufacture around 12,000-13,000 vehicles in May 2020.

Source

Link to Team-BHP News

Last edited by Aditya : 4th May 2020 at 14:55.
TusharK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th May 2020, 13:48   #39
Senior - BHPian

Covid-19: Automakers prepare to restart operations

Automakers in India are preparing to restart operations after the government relaxed lockdown guidelines to promote economic activity.

Govt. could allow carmakers to resume production-heromotocorpplant_1565948346.jpeg

Hero MotoCorp has announced that it would commence operations in a graded manner at its manufacturing plants in Gurgaon, Dharuhera and Haridwar. The company will also reopen the Global Parts Centre (GPC) in Neemrana, Rajasthan. The facilities will be reopened on May 4, 2020 and production will resume from May 6, 2020.

Only essential staff will come to work at other facilities and corporate offices. The employees would observe social distancing and all safety measures prescribed by the government. Remaining employees will continue to work from home till further notice.

In March 2020, manufacturing activities were shutdown following the announcement of the countrywide lockdown to contain the spread of the coronavirus.

Hyundai has also announced that it would reopen its factories from May 6, 2020.

Link to Team-BHP News

Last edited by TusharK : 4th May 2020 at 13:49.
Old 4th May 2020, 14:43   #40
BHPian

My brother in law works for a company which produces automobile parts for companies like Hyundai, Toyota, etc. He said Hyundai was persistent in starting the production right from last month. Hyundai repeatedly requested his company to start producing the components, which they duly denied.

He also added, on the other hand, Toyota has sent a safety precautionary measure document to the companies that produce automobile parts for their cars. They even said, the company is no rush to open the factory where safety comes first.

Now on the looks of it, only Maruti and Hyundai have planned to start production. I don't want to conclude anything on this, but I just don't understand where comes the demand for producing cars when the whole country is locked down. If this is for export, is it worth risking people's life? Wish and pray all factory employees of Maruti and Hyundai are safe.
vvivek85 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th May 2020, 15:19   #41
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvivek85 View Post
Now on the looks of it, only Maruti and Hyundai have planned to start production. I don't want to conclude anything on this, but I just don't understand where comes the demand for producing cars when the whole country is locked down. If this is for export, is it worth risking people's life?
My two bits:

Exports:
I don't know about Hyundai & Maruti's export commitments but I imagine they are pretty serious numbers. Typically these are long term contracts which are not easily cancellable by either party. Don't think force majeure will be invoked either as everyone wants the long term relationship to stay strong

Domestic:
KIA: Without advertising the fact, KIA is well on track to opening its vast factory this week. Why, because they have upwards of 70K confirmed bookings even after substantially raising prices in January 2020!

Maruti:
Maruti have no stocks of the new BS-VI 1.5 petrol Ciaz launched shortly before the lockdown and also need to build up stock of the to be introduced petrol S-Cross. They are desperate to start production!

Hyundai:
New launches of the Nios, new Verna, new Elantra etc also mean hugely challenging production targets.

I might be wrong of course but I feel at least these 3 manufacturers have a lot to gain with a quick return to full production, and a lot to lose if they don't.
Old 4th May 2020, 16:41   #42
Senior - BHPian

My cousin told me that Bajaj is behind vendors for spares as they have orders for export market. They are trying to start their plants in Aurangabad and Pune to start manufacturing. But government is not properly prepared and guideline set are very rude and very difficult to implement. Hope all to start manufacturing soon.

Main question I can see is about demand. Don't see any demand in next 2-3 months and real demand can only come around festival time i.e. Diwali, which is 6 months away. Really tough times ahead for Auto Industry. Hope for best.
aniketi is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 5th May 2020, 11:34   #43
Senior - BHPian

Ferrari to restart production from May 8

Ferrari said it will restart full production at its facilities in Maranello and Modena, Italy, on Friday, May 8.

Its facilities were shut down on March 14, and the automaker said this was the longest closure in the company's 73-year history.

As the company ramps up production this week, all 4000 employees are being tested for coronavirus antibodies.

The Italian government is allowing companies to resume operations as of Monday, May 4, if they follow health precautions. So, in line with those requirements, the automaker has put stringent safety measures into effect and has been training workers in the new procedures this week before going back to full production on Friday, May 8. Workers are going through a safety training program Ferrari has named "Back on Track."

Between late April and that full restart date, the automaker has also started giving all of its 4000 workers a blood test checking for the presence of antibodies to the coronavirus, on a voluntary basis.

The Ferrari factory restarted production with the SP2 Monza and will add other models later.

Govt. could allow carmakers to resume production-smartselect_20200505111216_chrome.jpg

Govt. could allow carmakers to resume production-smartselect_20200505111206_chrome.jpg

Govt. could allow carmakers to resume production-smartselect_20200505111150_chrome.jpg

Govt. could allow carmakers to resume production-smartselect_20200505111140_chrome.jpg

Govt. could allow carmakers to resume production-smartselect_20200505111130_chrome.jpg

Govt. could allow carmakers to resume production-smartselect_20200505111120_chrome.jpg

Govt. could allow carmakers to resume production-smartselect_20200505111110_chrome.jpg

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a3...n-coronavirus/

Mods please move it appropriate thread.
Venkatesh is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th May 2020, 11:54   #44
Distinguished - BHPian

Maruti Suzuki dealerships resume with new Covid-19 instructions: Deliveries to start soon.

Quote:
Maruti Suzuki is also encouraging home deliveries of its cars.

The sales rep who is delivering the car needs to carry masks, gloves and hand sanitisers along with them on this home visit.

Additionally, the car is fully sanitised before it reaches the customer’s home. If a customer wants a showroom delivery, only few people from the family will be allowed. MSIL has also conducted extensive training of its showroom folks. A manual containing the protocol has already been circulated to the employees as well.

Link

Last edited by volkman10 : 6th May 2020 at 11:56.
volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th May 2020, 17:51   #45
Senior - BHPian

Mercedes-Benz resumes production at its plant in Chakan.Dealerships open in Kerala, Bangalore and Surat.Plans to ramp up production in the coming weeks.

Only a select number of employees who are essential to the production processes have returned to the plant today, and are observing the social distancing guidelines as defined by the state government.

Govt. could allow carmakers to resume production-smartselect_20200506174951_chrome.jpg

https://www.autocarindia.com/car-new...n-plant-417166
Venkatesh is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks