Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th April 2020, 13:59   #1
BHPian

Rudratej Singh - BMW India President & CEO - passes away

Just opened Twitter and came across Hormazd Sorabjee's tweet. Posting the screen shot below!

Rudratej Singh - BMW India President & CEO - passes away-screenshot_20200420135227.jpg

Sir Rudratej Singh, lead Royal Enfield like no other, boosting it's market share from 3.3% to 6.9% in four years as the Global President from 2014 - 2018.

Furthermore, we can see the changes in operations of BMW India as well after he took the reign in 2019.

The Indian Automotive community has truly lost a true Auto Enthusiast who also knew the art of business. May his soul Rest In Peace.

Last edited by YashD : 20th April 2020 at 14:04.
YashD is offline   (24) Thanks
Old 20th April 2020, 14:05   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: Rudratej Singh - BMW India President & CEO - passes away

Rudy ! Very shocking to learn about his demise. I had been following him on Twitter since the RE Interceptor development and promotion days. A really nice presenter, had quite a vibe with Sidharth Lal, head of Eicher Motors - as we could see during their product launches. Gone too soon. RIP Rudy.

Last edited by aravind.anand : 20th April 2020 at 14:11.
aravind.anand is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 20th April 2020, 14:37   #3
Senior - BHPian

Sad news. May his soul rest in peace.

News link below

https://auto.economictimes.indiatime...-away/75248149
Bibendum90949 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th April 2020, 15:06   #4
Team-BHP Support

BMW India must be in shock.

They lost their marketing head 2 weeks back and he was 40, Mihir Dayal. Now today their CEO.

May his soul rest in peace.

In the last few years BMW was picking up incredibly well and the products were exactly what the buyers wanted. They fixed a lot of small stuff like adding space saver tyres, getting sportier petrol versions like the 330i.

Tough times for BMW.
Vid6639 is offline   (27) Thanks
Old 20th April 2020, 16:10   #5

This is very sad news indeed. From what I heard about him, he was an extremely smart individual and a leader to look up to. One of the very few people who were able to transition between FMCG and auto industry seamlessly. During his four year tenure for Royal Enfield, he doubled their market share.
May he rest in peace.
BroodVarun is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 20th April 2020, 16:39   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
They lost their marketing head 2 weeks back and he was 40, Mihir Dayal.
I didn't know about Mihir's passing away. Had been in touch with him for quite sometime.

RIP Mihir and Rudratej.
AMG Power is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 20th April 2020, 16:47   #7
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Very sad to hear. He was just 46; gone too soon. Heard he collapsed on the treadmill. Reminds us to treat everyday as a blessing. Rest in peace, Rudratej.

He sure did go out in style. After the longest time, BMW beat Mercedes in sales, if only for a quarter (link).

Less than 2 weeks back, he posted this on Twitter :(
Rudratej Singh - BMW India President & CEO - passes away-annotation-20200420-164505.png
GTO is offline   (31) Thanks
Old 21st April 2020, 07:38   #8
BHPian

Rudratej Singh Passes Away

Former RE marketing head and present BMW CEO Rudratej Singh passes away due to cardiac arrest.

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...w/75251335.cms

Note to mods: Kindly post the thread in relevant section.
Old 21st April 2020, 08:07   #9
Team-BHP Support

Re: Rudratej Singh Passes Away

Rudy had just taken charge in Aug 2019. Very sad and two back to back tragedies for BMW India. Just a few weeks ago, BMW Group India's Sales Director Mihir Dayal (40) had passed away after a battle with cancer. [quoted from link].

https://www.autocarpro.in/news-natio...-no-more-56198
Axe77 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 21st April 2020, 11:51   #10
RGK
Senior - BHPian

Re: Rudratej Singh - BMW India President & CEO - passes away

BMW was really banking on Rudratejji's great marketing skills. Very sad to hear this news. Om Shanthi.
Old 21st April 2020, 12:25   #11
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Wanted to add two more thoughts here:

1. I think this is only the 2nd time that we've lost an active leader of a car company (first was Karl Slym).

2. The occurrence of heart attacks is higher on Monday mornings:

Quote:
THE CLAIM -- Heart attacks are more common on Mondays.

THE FACTS -- The stress of returning to work and the start of a long week would seem like reason enough to dread Monday mornings. But can the stress of that cursed first day of the week also pose a hazard to your heart?

In several studies of various populations over the years, scientists have found that deaths from heart attacks follow a pattern during the week. They occur at their lowest rates on weekends, jump significantly on Mondays, then drop again on Tuesdays.
Source
GTO is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 21st April 2020, 17:44   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Very sad to hear. He was just 46; gone too soon. Heard he collapsed on the treadmill. Reminds us to treat everyday as a blessing. Rest in peace, Rudratej.

Reminds me of the Head of SAP India who died the same way - getting exhausted on the treadmill and hence suffering a cardiac arrest, way back in 2009.

May his soul RIP.
sunilch is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st April 2020, 17:54   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunilch View Post
Reminds me of the Head of SAP India who died the same way - getting exhausted on the treadmill and hence suffering a cardiac arrest, way back in 2009.

May his soul RIP.
Don't forget Daniel Goldberg, Sheryl Sandberg's husband!
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-s...0NP1NB20150505
itwasntme is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 21st April 2020, 23:13   #14
BANNED

Avik Chattopadhyay wrote a eulogy for Rudratej Singh:
Quote:
We first met in Chennai in December 2018.

I was invited by the RE senior team to share some professional experiences in their strategy brainstorming. Quite a privilege for me to say the least, I did try to do my best.

Once it was over and I stepped out to be on my way to the airport, he stepped out too, shook me firmly by the hand and remarked, “That was really helpful Avik. Thanks a lot for your time.” I replied, “Hope I made sense through it all Rudratej. Thanks for the opportunity.”

Over the next year and a few months that we got to know each other, I always addressed him as Rudratej.

My friends in the automobile fraternity told me what a terrific leader he was and how he was doing some truly great things in RE, both to the products as well as with the entire team. The typical saying was that you hardly saw him in the Gurgaon office. I still knew him as the man I met in Chennai for a few hours, gracious enough to thank me for my time.

After radio silence for quite a few months, he suddenly connected with me over a piece I had written about some issue with the two-wheeler industry. “It’s been long. Let us meet.” He had joined BMW by then. We met one evening. We talked about our respective careers…about the risks we had taken, and the lessons learnt.

Also the ones we deliberately refused to learn. Then about our personal lives and the childhood journeys we have had. Obviously, we were warming up to each other. I joked about his suit and tie and he returned one about my back-strap chappals. “How can clients take you seriously with those chappals Avik?!” he laughed.

Then the conversation meandered into that article of mine that reconnected us. In the healthy exchange of our respective strong views on the industry at large, I realised the keen understanding he had of the average Indian customer. And more so on leading teams and empowering them. “I ride on my terms” are the specific words I remember. This was our first proper meeting but did not seem as the first one. We promised to repeat these meetings as our schedules could allow us.

We never met again. The communication remained alive through emails and messages. Remarking on specific issues. Commenting on oddities around us. Nothing planned and with no agenda. It was as if we were simply riding…sometimes together, sometimes on our own, but at the corner of our eyes we could spot each other. In the middle of February came a message “Meet up?”.

We surely shall, my friend.

You ride on. I have some catching up to do.
Source

Note: Request moderators to remove the post if it doesn't fit here.
wheelguy is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2020, 08:11   #15
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Definitely a smart, driven & highly intelligent businessman. BMW will miss him:
GTO is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks