Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th May 2020, 18:53   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: When smaller, cheaper cars are more fun-to-drive than bigger & expensive ones

We are talking here about the FUN TO DRIVE Car and NOT about EASY TO DRIVE cars

While I agree that small cars are EASY TO DRIVE, I honestly think FUN is not inversely proportional to size of the cars. Rather I think fun is independent of size of the car.

To elaborate my thoughts, the fun I used to get in my Qualis is incomparable to the fun I get in my small peppy Santro. Same goes to fun with driving Fortuner. They are different and cannot be compared with each other.

But if you ask about ease of driving, definitely, Santro is very easy to drive car specifically in city whereas Fortuner is a pain.

Whereas If you consider the duration of the drive, Fortuner takes the lead.

Example: I love driving Fortuner even after 8 to 9 hours of continuous driving. I may not have that energy and enthusiasm to drive santro after 4 to 5 hours. But the FUN part while I drive either cars are the same.

So in my view, fun is there in the blood of car enthusiast irrespective of the car. But ease of driving is certainly there in small cars.

I am not sure if I really conveyed my thoughts.

Last edited by gkveda : 7th May 2020 at 18:55.
gkveda is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 7th May 2020, 19:02   #17
BHPian

Re: When smaller, cheaper cars are more fun-to-drive than bigger & expensive ones

There is fun element with big cars too like SUVs too. Never having to stop or slow at normal potholes and broken roads and the way the car eats up bumps. Small cars are fun in cutting through traffic but it gets tiring soon.
Mr. Nobody is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th May 2020, 19:02   #18
BHPian

Completely agree with the post. I had a Ford Ikon Flair 1.3 Petrol for 6 years. Troubles apart (so many with that and huge servicing costs), it was a hoot to drive. I literally had the complete control on the vehicle and it will just listen to whatever way you drive it. THE best steering compared to any of the modern day cars.

For the last 3 years having Hyundai Verna Petrol AT which is a reliable vehicle & with least maintenance. But my trade-off was the fun to drive factor. There is no fun driving it. The vehicle just doesn't understand you when you floor the pedal. It is not a slow vehicle and compared to the Ikon that I had, it even has a higher top speed and all the specs but it cannot put a smile on your face.

That's the trade-off .
RaghavEvoX is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 7th May 2020, 19:14   #19
Senior - BHPian

The Honda Brio! Sure, the car is far from friendly for my 6'3" frame but boy does that thing feel like its built for a Gymkhana event when you throw it around the narrow bylanes of a tight city. I was disappointed the day it was discontinued. The new Brio has an RS version now which makes me want to test when I get to Thailand which I will for the next round of Motogp. Another country where you'd rather zip through traffic in a small car than a big car.
Nithesh_M is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 7th May 2020, 20:12   #20
Senior - BHPian

The Figo 1.2 old-gen.

The petrol engine it had was one of the lamest of the lot. But it had a very involving steering,feedback and handling. I could take a curve flat out as I knew the car will hold and I wasn't doing that high a speed to loose it.

But the fun ends when the car is loaded with passengers and luggage and on a straight road. Most of the times when I used to drive either alone or with a passenger, the fun driving it on curves and ups and downs, I never got in any other car I have driven till date. The old gen Swift comes close.

70bhp/100nm on car that should have had at the least the present 3cyl Dragon kind of numbers.
tharian is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 7th May 2020, 20:13   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nithesh_M View Post
The Honda Brio! Sure, the car is far from friendly for my 6'3" frame but boy does that thing feel like its built for a Gymkhana event when you throw it around the narrow bylanes of a tight city. I was disappointed the day it was discontinued.
True that! Earlier I had a Honda Brio SX(O). It was so much more fun to push the car to its limits. But now i own an Abarth Punto and rarely get a chance to push it to its limits because it has so much power on offer.

One more point I would like to add: ( a little )
For taller frames like mine, 6'2", it is more convenient to have the accelerator pedal pressed at, say, 60%-70% than at 20%-30%. Keeping the accelerator pedal pressed at 20%-30% for longer duration gives a terrible pain in my ankles. Not sure if this is unique to me or due to my driving style/position. However, I have tried adjusting seat height, incline etc., but in vain. I am most comfortable while driving my 2006 Toyota Corolla or 2018 Etios Liva.

Due to the power on offer, I have to keep the Abarth's accelerator pressed very slightly which gives me pain on longer drives. This was/is not the case with Brio, Liva or Corolla.
thehacker is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 7th May 2020, 20:18   #22
BHPian

Completely agree with the post!

Having owned an alto K10, one thing I can say for sure is that that car is the most fun I’ve had driving on city roads. With all the traffic on the roads you need a go-kart like that to have some fun. Cheaper cars have poor NVH, it may not be comfortable but hearing that engine noise certainly adds to more thrill. Also, cheaper and smaller cars have lesser driving aid which makes them more fun to drive. I would choose a Figo/JTP/GT over a Ciaz/City/Verna any day.
Mat095 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th May 2020, 21:09   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

My favorite topic!

Whenever I hunt for a new car or bike the first thing I check is how much fun to drive it is!

For me the Fun to drive factor depends on the overall factor. It has to be a combination of a good engine, handling and braking.

The Alto K10 I owned was fast, but it had it's own shortcomings. It had undersized tyres, the speed masking capability was poor and had poor brakes. So it was a bit risky to extract the full potential of the car.

When smaller, cheaper cars are more fun-to-drive than bigger & expensive ones-10369731_669534763118420_6762867592445207312_n.jpg

The old gen Figo TDCI which I owned was actually slower than the K10, but the car was much more fun to drive. The awesome handling, the precise steering, nice speed masking capability and the spot on brakes always gave me the confidence to extract the full potential of this car. Infact I always missed a more powerful engine in this car.
On curvy roads this car could easily outshine other faster cars!

When smaller, cheaper cars are more fun-to-drive than bigger & expensive ones-13585055_1120280068043885_2768287903048723207_o.jpg

The Etios petrol is one fun to drive car but it has it's shortcomings too. In triple-digit speeds the steering do not weigh's up as one would have liked. Plus the speed masking capability is just okay, with bad cabin insulation. The handling is just good or neutral I may say, it can take fast corners but the steering feedback will let you down.
The brakes are excellent. With a steady hand, the full potential of this car can be extracted.

When smaller, cheaper cars are more fun-to-drive than bigger & expensive ones-564764_466081810084752_145744469_n.jpg

Okay, do not get surprised, the Duster AWD is fun to drive too! The short gearing and the free revving 1.5 k9k actually made it a good highway car, with good insulation and proper speed-masking capability! The brakes are good, the handling is good if we consider the other car's in it's segment. The heavy steering is actually a boon at high speed! It can be driven faster than the bigger Suv's like the Endeavour or Fortuner, though those cars will any-day have a better top-end in straight line.

When smaller, cheaper cars are more fun-to-drive than bigger & expensive ones-71316824_3363782793693590_6539510899877609472_o.jpg

If I talk about 2 wheeler's, I once had a tough time to catch-up with a Aprilia SR150 with a Harley Davidson Iron 883 on the streets of Goa!
These small 125-150cc gear-less scooters are actually quite fast, though they look puny on road. With good riders, these can easily keep-up with the 125-150 cc bikes.

Last edited by Samba : 7th May 2020 at 21:12.
Samba is offline   (26) Thanks
Old 7th May 2020, 21:20   #24
BHPian

I couldn't agree more with this thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nithesh_M View Post
The Honda Brio! Sure, the car is far from friendly for my 6'3" frame but boy does that thing feel like its built for a Gymkhana event when you throw it around the narrow bylanes of a tight city.
Quote:
Originally Posted by thehacker View Post
True that! Earlier I had a Honda Brio SX(O). It was so much more fun to push the car to its limits. But now i own an Abarth Punto and rarely get a chance to push it to its limits because it has so much power on offer
I owned a Brio V M/T and she was ridiculously nimble. A short wheelbase, sitting low with a quick steering to boot. I vividly remember zipping through Bangalore traffic after a mundane Friday at work or occasionally pushing till I hit the redline in 2nd and 3rd after some late night ice cream to hear that throaty roar. Really came alive after 3500 RPM (VTEC kicked in yooo, although she was just an i-VTEC ) and every rev-matched downshift was pure joy.

She really inspired mischief and confidence in the city unlike my parents' first gen X1 (Great fun in the ghats that one) and Kodiaq (She's meant to be driven differently).

Leaving a couple of shots of us from a week before I sold her because I'm feeling Imogenal right now (I called her Imogen )

When smaller, cheaper cars are more fun-to-drive than bigger & expensive ones-img_1439.jpg
When smaller, cheaper cars are more fun-to-drive than bigger & expensive ones-img_4511.jpg
saur95 is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 7th May 2020, 21:21   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehacker View Post
For taller frames like mine, 6'2", it is more convenient to have the accelerator pedal pressed at, say, 60%-70% than at 20%-30%. Keeping the accelerator pedal pressed at 20%-30% for longer duration gives a terrible pain in my ankles.
I have this issue too - it took a lot of playing with the seat height before finding the sweet spot. I would try to change the driving position when your ankle hurts - you will then realize which position provides relief.
Old 7th May 2020, 21:22   #26
Team-BHP Support

In the family, we've owned quite a few Maruti pocket rockets of yore, including the 800, the original Alto and the jelly-bean Zen.

Dad currently drives a gen-1 Figo he refuses to part with (what a handler!), and my current ride is this little specimen:

When smaller, cheaper cars are more fun-to-drive than bigger & expensive ones-img_20190908_08042386601.jpeg
Chetan_Rao is offline   (30) Thanks
Old 7th May 2020, 22:32   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
In the family, we've owned quite a few Maruti pocket rockets of yore, including the 800, the original Alto and the jelly-bean Zen.

Dad currently drives a gen-1 Figo he refuses to part with (what a handler!), and my current ride is this little specimen:

Attachment 2002968
Nice. When did you pick this up? Was this a new one or used? Really like the white colour on the jtp twins .

On the topic- my erstwhile Swift and present Brio have given me and continue to give me oodles of fun. My City is more mature and powerful, but the tiny Brio remains an equal hoot to chuck around on Bangalore roads.

Last edited by arindambasu13 : 7th May 2020 at 22:37.
arindambasu13 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th May 2020, 22:32   #28
Senior - BHPian

What a completely relevant thread!

Of all the cars in our family, this one was the most fun! The Verna behind (and another diesel Swift) belonging to the extended family driven by my cousins would give up keeping up with this small wonder on the way down from Musoorie to Dehradun. Not only was this car chuckable, it also held it's line (unlike the Maruti 800s) pretty well, solid!

When smaller, cheaper cars are more fun-to-drive than bigger & expensive ones-img_29471.jpg

In the city, City VTECs and Rocam 1.6's would struggle to keep up with this little rat! Or maybe the lower price would allow us to push it harder!!
1100D is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 7th May 2020, 22:36   #29
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by arindambasu13 View Post
Nice. When did you pick this up? Was this a new one or used? Really like the white colour on the jtp twins .
Picked it up new, mid-last year. Already has 11k on the ODO, and that's before lock-down ruined plans of taking it on a cross-country drive to M.P.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 8th May 2020, 01:25   #30
BHPian

Fantastic thread. I recently upgraded from a Duster 85ps to what else - a duster AWD, but the most fun I had was with my first car - Chevrolet Beat petrol. Although I have driven the AWD too less ( blame it on the lockdown) - the actual comparison is between the 85ps and the Beat.
Whereas on highways , the 85 ps was more relaxing to drive, the ghat sections while on the way to Goa from Bangalore were much more fun to drive in the Beat. With the hydraulic steering - it was a hoot!!
adg_andy is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks