Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Which would you pick?
Compact Sedan 52 20.08%
Premium Hatchback 207 79.92%
Voters: 259. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 14th May 2020, 14:50   #31
BANNED

Re: Why are compact sedans cheaper than premium hatchbacks?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrideRed View Post
They are significantly smaller on size/practicality.
The difference in size between a Swift and Dzire is negligible. Dzire appears bigger due to beige interiors.
Same goes for Tiago and Tigor.
Same for the Nios and Aura.

Don't believe me? Go read the official reviews back to back.

The amaze is much larger than the Brio, conceded.

Quote:
Compact sedans and premium hatches are comparable wrto size/price(latter being more expensive).
So are the Scorpio and Honda City. (4440 vs 4456) The difference in length is a mere 16 mm. Does that mean we compare them?

Oh, and you are massively uninformed as to the prices.
Altroz base 5.29 lakh. Tigor base 5.79 lakh.
I20 base 5.60 lakh. Aura base 5.79 lakh.

Quote:
The camparo is compact sedans Vs premium hatches and will stick to them.
Why stop at compact sedan vs hatchback. Why not then have crossover vs compact sedan.
I mean I've seen more people confused between a i20 and a Brezza than I have between Aura and an i20.

Quote:
Alto K10 is also fun to drive but that's not the only point for comparison.
Amen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by armaan_singh View Post
I would anyday pick the premium hatch but my mom for example recently bought a Dzire to be chauffeur driven, as she didn't want to be chauffeur driven in a "chhoti gaadi" even if it was a Polo GT TSI, that's the reality of life, and that's fine.

Also, interestingly, without meaning to offend anybody at all, most buyers who pick say a Jazz or a an i20 are ones who genuinely want to buy those cars, but in the case of a CS, generally buyers want sedans, but at times have a budget constraint and hence go for a toned down version while still keeping the partial glory intact.
Agree on both the points. If I were to buy a car for my parents to be driven around in, I would close my eyes and get a Dzire. Reliable, hassle free ownership, and some sort of prestige in their non-petrolhead circle.
For my personal use, however, I would get a swift. Small, sporty, light. I wouldn't get a Baleno or an i20. Why does a petrolhead need features anyway?

And for the second point, I can again affirm.

A very good friend wanted a new car, shortlisted the Polo and the Ciaz. The polo was too small for her. (she's very tall), and the Ciaz was turning out to be too expensive.
So she said she settled on a Dzire (her word, not mine).

Note from Support. Please run a spell-check before posting. Thanks!

Last edited by aah78 : 14th May 2020 at 19:32. Reason: Post edited. Quote trimmed, typos fixed. Be civil please.
turbo is offline   Received Infraction
Old 14th May 2020, 15:42   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo View Post
Oh, and you are massively uninformed as to the prices.
Altroz base 5.29 lakh. Tigor base 5.79 lakh.
I20 base 5.60 lakh. Aura base 5.79 lakh.
Care to share top spec and mid variant prices as well? I am so uninformed mate. You are free to compare Mini Cooper to Baleno and no one is stopping you nor can I, but "I" would stick to comparison of premium hatch and compact which is what this thread was created.

Last edited by aah78 : 14th May 2020 at 19:29. Reason: Post edited. Quote trimmed, typos fixed. Be civil please.
PrideRed is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th May 2020, 16:13   #33
BHPian

Most compact sedans are outright ugly, no matter what the proverb says about the beholder etc. They lack primary aesthetics of a three box sedans and doesnt look balanced or properly finished from many angles. I'd rather pay more and get a proper sedan or happily settle for a premium Hatch than these cheap jugaads.

Wish These eyesores made in the name of practicality go out of trend soon...
Old 14th May 2020, 17:00   #34
BHPian

Visually, no compact sedan will ever look as good as a premium hatchback. I20>aura, Polo>Ameo and so on. This itself is a major deciding factor.

This might be a personal sentiment but also since all compact sedans are designed exclusively for the Indian market, this brings in a sense of perceived inferior quality levels compared to an International product of the same brand. This is not a blanket generalisation and more of a perception but many at times, this plays a major role in the decision making.

Another reason I would choose a premium hatchback is if I have to buy an automatic. Recently, I have noticed the trend of Compact sedans using AMTs while their premium hatchback counterparts use torque converters / CVT / DCT gearboxes (Aura and I20, Dzire and Baleno). This will have a major role in the decision making process because inherently, I am against AMTs and their jerky nature and would pick a proper automatic gearbox anyday, even if I have to pay a premium for it.
Old 14th May 2020, 18:25   #35
BHPian

I'd pick a good premium hatchback over a compact sedan any day. The primary reasons for the compact sedans to exist are four. The Tax structure that benefits sub 4m cars, the mentality of the majority of customers who thinks a sedan in inherently more premium than a hatch, practicality of a boot and the possibility for manufacturers to lure customers from higher and lower segments.

Considering the first reason, most of the compact sedans are hatchbacks converted to 3 box sedans that fit under 4m. Those which are based on international compact hatchbacks are given the compact sedan treatment for developing countries. The underlying factor for the existence of compact sedans and hatches reflects in both. They are strictly built to a cost. In most cases, we can see and feel the difference in the materials chosen and the corners cut to make these cars fit under the budget. This isn't as apparent or strict for the premium hatches. More often than not, the design gets ruined when the companies try to convert a compact hatch into the compact sedan avatar. One of the best example for this was the VW Ameo. The worst part was that it was all for a 35L additional boot space.

Often, the platforms are different too for the budget and premium hatches and this extends to when the the hatch grows into a compact sedan. Considering the weight difference of Jazz and Amaze of similar trims, the weight difference is about 150 Kgs. That has got to mean something. Premium hatches often have a wider track and longer wheelbase which makes them more stable and usually offers better ride. More often than not, the premium hatches deliver a better cabin experience as compared to their compact sedan siblings, especially in terms of space. In some cases may be even better than their sedan siblings positioned just above them like the i20 and the Verna. For occasional trips, a premium hatchback typically have enough space for the luggage of its passengers unless it is airport runs. For example, the Baleno's boot is nearly 90% as big as the Dzire's. The Jazz has nearly 85% of boot space as than of the Amaze. Of course the real world usability may differ a bit considering the shape of the boot and the possibility of using more of the vertical space with the hatchbacks.

The second reason is the most absurd one. But in a developing country where car ownership is considered to me matter of pride more than practicality, one can't really complain. Most who are aspiring to own cars of higher segments doesn't really understand the status quo and considers a sedan more premium than a hatch.

Now the third reason is probably the only practical reason to own a sedan and that is the boot space. For someone who needs to carry around a lot of suitcases or other luggage often, compact sedans are obviously the better choice. But for others, especially when Uber, Ola and taxis are available, is it really worth to spend about 1L more for those infrequent Airport runs?

The fourth reason is created as a culmination of all the aforementioned. Compact sedans helps manufacturers to lure in customers from higher and lower segments. This is achieved though using a cheaper and existing platform with a possibility of part sharing. The economy of scale is at play here. Minimal engineering and product development costs are involved to convert an existing hatch to a sedan as compared to building one form ground up. This brings me to another question. Does it really take 80k-1L more to add a boot? Tata was able to make a basic car for not much more, the original Nano.
Old 14th May 2020, 19:19   #36
BHPian

The premium hatchbacks have a roomier feel in the cabin. Another advantage I find is actually boot space in hatchback. In the sedan, you are limited by the height of the boot. But in a premium hatchback , you can stack items till the top and if you have foldable rear seats, you get lot more usable space to store stuff.
Old 14th May 2020, 19:21   #37
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanchari View Post
you are limited by the height of the boot. But in a premium hatchback , you can stack items till the top and if you have foldable rear seats, you get lot more usable space to store stuff.
You can, but should you?

I think we should not do that. 2 reasons - it blocks the IRVM & inertia can be dangerous in the event of hard braking.
PrasannaDhana is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th May 2020, 20:10   #38
Senior - BHPian

I will always buy a premium hatchback over a compact sedan.

The 3 box shape holds no importance to me and I feel all compact sedans in India are ugly.

Other benefits like better quality, a better engineered product etc make it sweeter for me to pay more money.
vibbs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th May 2020, 20:32   #39
BHPian

Voted for premium hatchback.

Looks of a car are very important to me! None of the compact sedans available in the market today interest me. Whereas 90% of the premium hatchbacks available in the market look good. Additionally the premium quality in the premium hatch is an added advantage for almost the same price.

Last edited by ashvek3141 : 14th May 2020 at 20:33. Reason: Typo
Old 14th May 2020, 23:27   #40
BHPian

In 2016, I was in the market for a Compact Sedan and test drove Amaze, Aspire, Jazz and other premium hatchbacks. In the end, I shortlisted Amaze and Jazz, although Jazz drove well than Amaze and had better interiors, I bought Amaze primarily because of its boot.
In India practicality scores over others for most of the people.

With regards to Compact Sedan pricing vs. Premium hatchbacks, most of the C-Sedans are based on B1 segment hatchbacks rather than B2. For e.g Swift-Dzire, Figo-Aspire, Brio-Amaze, Grand i10-Aura. Hence, the difference in pricing.
Old 15th May 2020, 02:43   #41
BHPian

Why are compact sedans cheaper than premium hatchbacks? Because they are based on non-premium hatchbacks and are cheaper to build. By the way, Dzire is not cheaper than the Baleno (premium!).

Which one would someone buy? It depends on various factors. If affordability is not a concern then one can easily pick whichever one's heart desires. But car ownership being an expensive affair in India, many buyers are compelled to carefully consider the priorities.

- If premium feel is desired, then the choice is very simple
- If look is the concern, again, choice is simple (maybe except Dzire vs Baleno)
- If performance is the criterion, things become murky (peppy Xcent/Aura vs lethargic i20 petrol)
- If practicality matters, then, a compact sedan probably makes more sense for weekend getaways of a family of four and their luggage. This is especially true in case of Aura vs i20, not so pronounced for Dzire vs Baleno.
- If safety is (and should be) of utmost priority, then it's difficult to decide in the absence of NCAP ratings of all India spec cars. Maybe top spec premium i20 with 6 airbags is the safest. Well, Africa spec i20 had unstable bodyshell and received 3 stars while Amaze had stable bodyshell and received 4 stars. Perhaps, the compact sedan is a bit safer for rear seat passengers with the little extra crumple zone behind.

Based on the above factors, I see that compact sedan is getting my vote (overall: compact sedan, dzire vs baleno: baleno).
k_kumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th May 2020, 20:18   #42
BHPian

I got a very premium hatchback for 11L. Its none other than my Ford Ecosport
Old 16th May 2020, 09:32   #43
BHPian

I recently brought an AMAZE Diesel CVT, that was the only reason i went for the car as there was no competitor offering a decent gearbox, if jazz had this combo i would have definitely gone for that. The petrol CVT of Jazz felt too slow for regular Highway use.
Old 16th May 2020, 12:34   #44
BHPian

I buy Premium Hatchback any day over a Compact Sedan (CS).

Hatchback doors are built way better than sedan.

Hatchback boot space is no less practical than CS in terms of depth. It adds in practicality in terms of height.

CS never look appealing, be it from any manufacturer.

Cars such as Skoda Octavia and Superb are hatchbacks at the end of the day.
Old 16th May 2020, 13:46   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by armaan_singh View Post
I would anyday pick the premium hatch but my mom for example recently bought a dzire to be chauffer driven, as she didn't want to be chauffer driven in a "chhoti gaadi" even if it was a Polo GT TSI, that's the reality of life, and thats fine.

To add to my previous point, While the price differences between premium hatches and Compact sedans have some differences, the real milking is happening in the case of compact SUVs with same dimensions as the other two, yet being sold at such exorbitant prices, sometimes even 14-15 L OTR (I'm looking at you XUV 300) that's a real downer as per me.

NOTE FROM SUPPORT - Please quote relevant bits of a post. Quoting a full, long post inconveniences our mobile readers.

We advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by Sheel : 16th May 2020 at 14:22. Reason: Mod note attached.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks