Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th June 2020, 13:53   #1
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Foreign car visiting India - How to extend its permit?

A traveller from Spain faces the following dilemma and asks for our help with advice. Thanks in advance!

Quote:
Hi, my name is Joshua, and I'm from Spain.

I spent my last year and a half crossing (by road) from my country to India. Right now, with this coronavirus crisis, we are stuck and need to extend the permit of our vehicle in India. I found some really interesting information in your website, and maybe you can help me to find out how to extend the import/export permit of my vehicle before it is too late. Thank you so much
Quote:
Namaste

First of all, thanks for answering. I’ve been looking everywhere for help and you’re the first to give a hand. Even my embassy has left us without an answer. So, here are the things you asked for:

- Expiry date of permit: 24/07/2020
- Entering India: 24/01/2020

Thank you so much for helping, hope we’ll be able to fix this situation. Let me know if there’s something I can do for helping or for returning this favor. Wish you a good day!
Foreign car visiting India - How to extend its permit?-img_6440.jpeg

Last edited by GTO : 19th June 2020 at 13:54.
GTO is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 19th June 2020, 15:47   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Foreign car visiting India - How to extend its permit?

While the formal process and all make time and I have no advice nor knowledge for the same, first thing to do would be send a email + a registered letter for extension along with all associated copies to the concerned permit issuing authority / border security control updating about the situation and reason for the extension. Mark a copy to your consulate as well. That way you have some evidence that you had written/ notified during the lockdown times and it may help you in any small legal issue down the road.

Secondly, find a reliable agent who would be willing to do the hard work (no one would have the full knowledge but someone who would be willing honestly to explore and put the right effort to at least help ease formalities).
Old 19th July 2020, 17:03   #3
BHPian

While I do not have any first hand experience, what I know is the nodal agency which handles anything related to Foreigners in India is FRRO (Foreigners Regional Registration Office). They are the ones who extends any foreign national's stay in India. It is better to contact them and get it extended. I am sure, their stay permit also would be coming to an end and would need to get that as well extended.

In the current situation, they do not let anyone walk into their office and enquire, they have an online portal from where a foreigner can take an appointment and then go at the pre-fixed time. Most states have more than one FRRO office and it is better to get in touch with the nearest one at the earliest.

FRRO online portal --> https://indianfrro.gov.in/eservices/home.jsp
General information --> https://indianfrro.gov.in/frro/

While these are direct channels to deal with the authorities, I am sure there would be many agencies who would do it for a fees. A quick googling could be of great help to know about that.
Old 19th July 2020, 23:01   #4
BHPian

Here is some relevant info I found online

http://wikioverland.org/India

Quote:

How to stay longer than 6 months.

....... The customs officials at the boarder were extremely friendly and professional and clearly informed us about the process on how to apply for an extension of these 6 months:

Apply in person for an extension at the customs commissioner’s office in e.g. Lucknow (detailed address below; there are other customs commissioners in India – it’s certainly best to get exact information at the boarder) Prepare a written application with reasoning why an extension is needed (e.g. India is a huge country which is impossible to visit within 6 months; additionally, some regions like Ladakh can only be entered during a specific season, i.e. summer …) In the application specify the chronology of entering and leaving India. The dates must match with the Carnet de Passagedates! In our case the customs officials also requested copies of all Carnet slips. See the application that we used below! We went to Lucknow Customs, explained our situation to the Technical Customs Super-Intendant, handed over our application, went through our 2 Carnet de Passage books (you must have a valid CdP), signed copies of the CdP slips, our passports, our visas and thought that our extension will never happen, because the customs commissioner was “out of office” for a week! The Super-Intendant promised with almost 100% certainty that we would be granted the extension for the entire validity of our new Indian visa (i.e. 6 months) once the commissioner is back and promised he would send the extension as scanned copy to us via email. We had difficulties believing him! However: after 2 weeks we received the extension via email! Pretty straight forward and as said at the beginning: the customs officials we met were extremely friendly and professional.

Should you have any question, just drop us a message. Good luck should you need an extension and safe travel wherever you are!

Address of Customs Commissioner in Lucknow: OFFICE of The Commissioner of Customs Lucknow Hall No 3 5th & 11th Floor Kendriya Bhawan Sector – H Aliganj Lucknow 226 024 Phone 0522-2329904, 2329829, 2336619
Foreign car visiting India - How to extend its permit?-carnetextensionapplication_blank_klein.jpg

Last edited by Comrade : 19th July 2020 at 23:21. Reason: Attaching sample letter
Old 21st July 2020, 00:06   #5
BHPian

HI, This is Siddharth here from Pune.

I have an agent in Bombay Central RTO. My family has dealt with him and his father for many decades. May be he could guide you about what the process could be. Do let me know. Shall share his number then.

Thanks. Hope everyone is safe.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks