Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th June 2020, 15:49   #16

Re: How to safely buy a car during Covid-19?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazrox View Post
This is my first post here Took delivery of a Swift Petrol on the 12th June. Let me tell you how my experience was.

1. When I purchased the car, the rate of spread of virus in Pondicherry was very low. It's steadily increasing the past few days, however the reason I say this is to mention our fear factor had subsided at the time to an extent. If the rate of spread had been higher, I wouldn't have gone ahead with the purchase.

2. Wore a mask always, everyone in the dealership had a mask on, hands sanitized and temperature checked every single time I stepped into the dealership.
Newbie mistake - apologies - thought I had discarded the post but looks like I had submitted this. I was writing more points and here's the continuation.

3. Noticed the SA himself using a pocket sized sanitizer spray. He carried it with him all times - he brought the vehicle home for the TD after requesting him. The steering wheel and the seats were covered with disposable fabric. He mentioned the car had been sanitized.

4. During the PDI at the yard, the SA sprayed the sanitizer on all touch points and then only I proceed to enter the car itself.

5. The delivery was a very low key affair and a very quick one too. On the day of delivery everyone at the dealership were wearing face shields too. They requested a max. of 2 members to come and collect the car and hence I went with my Dad. Took a 500 ml sanitizer spray can, sanitized all touch points and took delivery. It currently sits in the driver door's water bottle pocket and is used everytime I use the vehicle. I also use a pocket sized gel sanitizer which I carry around with me.

6. After the PDI, the dealership took all steps required for the registration. I did not have to visit the RTO.

To summarise, it was a required purchase at the time (details of which I will go into later in an ownership thread) and we took precautions that we could as best as we can. The circumstances did dull the experience of buying the very first car in the family, however we are all thankful we are safe. Would I advise anyone to do this right now? Probably not unless its an absolute necessity.

I wish you the best if you go ahead with your purchase and please follow all precautions. All the best.
jazrox is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th June 2020, 16:49   #17
HKP
BHPian

Looks like the new normal is impacting an important family occasion like a vehicle purchase. Maruti has implemented some safety SOPs but like everyone said here, I too believe its risky, better finish the process through remote as much as possible.

The car wash folks here (I visited yesterday after long) have some sanitization process as part of their package now. I didn't try, but the guy told me that doctors and some govt officials are coming and getting the sanitization done for their vehicles. Its some sprays on the seats, interior, and to other touchpoints. I am sure in Bangalore you will have something similar. Worth a try.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Why do you want to go? Let the dealership handle all RTO processes. I have never visited any RTO for vehicle registration and neither have 99% of BHPians.
Yes.
99% may not be true anymore. It's mandatory to visit RTO for registration in Hyderabad. Dealers will only give all the papers, we ourselves have to take the online appointment by paying the fee and visit the RTO office. For the RC Smart card, they take a pic (Like how they do in the aadhar/passport office), they don't accept photographs. The process is fairly quick usually. I remember the same process in one of the RTOs in Kerala too. My father had to go.

\\hkp
HKP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th June 2020, 19:52   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by aniyo View Post
Had gone to KHT motors yesterday to take the PayTM fastag, SBI one was giving issues. There were people buying Nexon and Altroz with no care in the world. people were happy sitting in the car , touching everything, few idiots were without mask, the staff was mostly with mask thakfully.

I think if you want to buy take basic precaution, pray to God and go ahead..
Off-topic, but could you please share what issues your SBI fastag was giving you? Switching fastags is an expensive (time, money, effort) affair. Part of my job involves Fastag, so am a little curious.

Thanks in advance!
Old 25th June 2020, 07:36   #19
BHPian

So let me explain how I dealt with buying a car in this difficult time. I got a Hyundai Venue delivered to me on June 20,2020.

I was clear that I wanted a long test drive before I understand the car and conveyed this to the SA as well. What he did was he came home with a few employees in the car. I right away rejected the test drive opportunity as the car had too many occupants and I wasn't mentally comfortable doing a drive with all of them inside the car with AC on, even though all of them had hand sanitizers and safety precautions taken. SA understood the situation and later he came alone for the test drive, sprayed a germ kill spray and cleaned the steering, gear knob and door handles before letting me in and I had my hand sanitizer and mask with me as well. This was comfortable and the SA sat in the back seat all throughout a 38kms test drive.

After coming back home, the first thing I did was wash the hands for 20 seconds(at least) with soap, then straight away put the dress and mask into laundry avoiding any chance for the infection to get into my home. These are certain things we can always practice. After a couple of days, I had gone to do PDI at the yard and there was only a security there, so I did not have any close interaction with anyone. It was me and a 2km run car ready for PDI, though I used a hand sanitizer right after checking the car. Once I noted the VIN of the selected car, all the other dealings were done online, including payments.

At the time of delivery, I finally went to the showroom because I thought that was better than them delivering it home. I had to sign a few papers as well. This time around, I did not take my family with me for the delivery, a first in my life as safety is important in this situation and family can see the car as soon as I drive it home. I made them understand the situation and they obliged. My sister gave me a drop at the showroom. I was not surprised to see all the employees with masks and gloves, but was super surprised when I saw a few customers with their masks on the neck(Yes, some pandemics do not affect Morons, until they learn it the hard way).

Took delivery, came home and repeated the process of what I did after the test drive a few days back. Sprayed the germ kill spray lightly on the steering, door handles, control switches and gear knob(even though the SA had told that the car was sanitized) just to be double sure about it. Waited for a few hours before I let my family members inside the car and its been 5 days since the delivery.

What is pending is the permanent registration. I am not sure about other states, but in Kerala, we need to take the car to the RTO and register it. So I have around 25 more days for the temporary registration to expire and will be going to RTO in a couple of weeks at the maximum. The vehicle registrations are far lesser these days and I am pretty sure the MVD have taken appropriate precautions regarding this including social distancing in place. Will update once its done.
Xaos636 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th June 2020, 09:14   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xaos636 View Post
What is pending is the permanent registration. I am not sure about other states, but in Kerala, we need to take the car to the RTO and register it.
Don't know about other states but in Kerala, not needed. Dealers themselves can do the registration process and for that all you need to give them is a signed authorization letter. They usually say like that if your local RTO isn't one they usually deal with.
Justin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th June 2020, 10:03   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
Don't know about other states but in Kerala, not needed. Dealers themselves can do the registration process and for that all you need to give them is a signed authorization letter. They usually say like that if your local RTO isn't one they usually deal with.
Oh thats news to me. I have bought 4 vehicles at home in the last 3 years from different manufacturers and all had said that we have to take the vehicle to the RTO ourselves and we did just that. Another thing with my new car is I am registering it in a different RTO, which is approximately 60kms from the showroom and because of this I am not comfortable to give them the car for the same as well.

Last edited by Xaos636 : 25th June 2020 at 10:04.
Old 25th June 2020, 15:22   #22

Thank you everyone for the detailed experiences. Really helpful.
As I mentioned earlier, Test Drive as well as Pre-Delivery inspection: I am relatively less concerned about. I am way more, or rather only, concerned about the Registration process.
Even in the past few days I have seen RTO pics wherein no one is following social distancing. Multiple reviews say that they didnt have to visit RTO but a few told that the RTO visit is mandatory. And that is why I am confused.

IS a RTO visit mandatory at Bangalore RTOs?
I will try to confirm with my dealership as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HKP View Post
99% may not be true anymore. It's mandatory to visit RTO for registration in Hyderabad. Dealers will only give all the papers, we ourselves have to take the online appointment by paying the fee and visit the RTO office. For the RC Smart card, they take a pic (Like how they do in the aadhar/passport office), they don't accept photographs. The process is fairly quick usually. I remember the same process in one of the RTOs in Kerala too. My father had to go.

\\hkp
Exactly my concern. Not sure what is the process at Bangalore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xaos636 View Post
Waited for a few hours before I let my family members inside the car and its been 5 days since the delivery.

What is pending is the permanent registration. I am not sure about other states, but in Kerala, we need to take the car to the RTO and register it. So I have around 25 more days for the temporary registration to expire and will be going to RTO in a couple of weeks at the maximum. The vehicle registrations are far lesser these days and I am pretty sure the MVD have taken appropriate precautions regarding this including social distancing in place. Will update once its done.
Thanks. In Bangalore at least, I saw that the RTOs are crowded and most people act like morons. No masks. No social distancing. Even if YOU maintain it, people will try to barge into the queue ahead of you etc.
Thats why the RTO leg is the most risky step and thats what concerns me.
Old 28th June 2020, 13:21   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thanos-VV View Post
What about taking TDs of Cars in this Covid-era? I am in the market for a new car and would like to test drive my options. But skeptical about going to showrooms now.
Now I'm not a freq TD-er, but I was in the market last year.. pre-covid times. I'm based out of Thane, Mumbai. TDs were almost useless.

example:
  • Ford (Ecosport) - They didn't have a 2019 model car for TD. Reasons given: not much changes, engine etc is same and TD cars end up being sunk cost for the dealership. Except Ford has fiddled the crap out of its variants - Android and Apple integration was part of Titanium variant in 2018 but disappeared in 2019. TBH, the salesperson was honest about most of the major differences. However when I got the car, I was still surprised with some discoveries pleasantly and otherwise.
  • Maruti (Baleno) - Due to the Nexa/Arena divide, they had to procure the TD car from Andheri which is like 20+ kms away. Multiple reschedules later, the car I got to drive was a 35K abused bucket of bolts. There were ricks storming past me on the road - "Sir, you are used to driving a diesel, you need more throttle with petrol". The only decision it helped me make was to not buy it.
  • Royal Enfield (Classic) - Waited for months, every time I was told they dont have a TD vehicle BS6 model. Finally, I agreed to drive the BS4 model just to see if it is even worth waiting. Now I've parked this due to Corona + Meteor launch, although I suspect that won't be available for TD before 2021 at this rate.
  • Bajaj (Pulsar) - same thing.. they said they will call back when they have the BS6 model. Never did - although this was a small reseller. Not authorized showroom.

The internet is where I get most of the info. The only thing you need the TD is for the drive now.. but if you are not getting the exact model to drive, what's the use? The amount of time and energy expended is another lost cause.

Just like the multiplexes who were happily selling 350Rs popcorn and 100Rs samosas before, there is a tiny part in me that says comeuppance for the auto industry.
gishu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th June 2020, 16:29   #24
BHPian

I bought a used car couple of weeks back. Here is what I followed.

1. Do search online- I gathered most of the information over the phone like car details, previous owner, RC/Insurance details etc. In case of new car, you can go through reviews and see if you can eliminate as many cars if possible so that you are left with fewer cars to chose from.
2. If you need to TD car (used or new), chose a day and time in such a way that you avoid rush at the dealership or used car dealer. For new car, you can request TD at your home address or near by. I wanted to TD of TATA Nexon Diesel AMT and the guys proposed to come to my house. Its a different story that they never showed up even after chasing multiple times. Anyway, I decided to go for a used car instead.
3. When at the dealership, ensure standard COVID precautions that everyone is aware of by now. I also kept a pocket hand sanitizer as well and at every touch of foreign objects, I used it.
4. During TD, I switched off A/Cs and ensure that the person joining me for a TD is wearing a mask. Don't forget to use Hand sanitizers once you are done with TD.
5. I always used full sleeve shirt,trouser, a cap on my head and shoes ( I am usually a T and shorts guy). Basically, ensure that you are covered as much as possible. Had always put my clothes in washing m/c once at home. Take a shower if possible.
6. Because, I did my research online, I only ventured out for TD twice and one time to take the car delivery. I chose weekdays over weekends.
7. Completed documentation and took car delivery on same day. Avoid multiple visits if possible. I had requested for home delivery but the dealer was short on staff.

Hope this helps for those looking to buy new/used car.
Old 29th June 2020, 17:10   #25
BHPian

Hello All,

This is my first post and please forgive if my query is very basic and stupid sounding. I am also considering a car purchase during these covid times. Can any one share the experience of online payment and no cheque/dd? like how much we can transfer and how the receipts work? Are receipts mailed and will they serving as proper proof of payments? I understand for some documentation, we may need to have person to person interaction but for payments, how it will work?
Old 2nd July 2020, 13:55   #26
Team-BHP Support

For the actual delivery, I do not trust ANY of these "sanitization" processes.

You're fighting an invisible enemy, there's millions of them, and you're shooting blind thinking "Yes yes! Got him!" when there's definitely tons more lurking around in plain sight - which you can't see.

Sanitizing the interiors either means : more risk of contamination - if the person doing it is infected, or more risk of exposure - if you're doing it yourself.

The best thing to do in my opinion is to have someone from the dealership park your car in a safe space close by.

Take both sets of your keys from them. Sanitize your hands after touching the keys. And leave your car there for 24 hours.

Ideally try and have it parked in a spot that will get a lot of sun, because the high temperatures will help sterilize the interiors of the car faster / more thoroughly.

When you pick it up the next day, it should be virus free - and then you can do all the 'sanitization' you need to (yourself), for peace of mind.

Last edited by Rehaan : 2nd July 2020 at 15:45.
Rehaan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2020, 14:41   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
Take both sets of your keys from them. Sanitize your hands after touching the keys. And leave your car there for 24 hours.
Thanks Rehaan, makes absolute sense.

There are many theories on how long the virus can stay alive on different surfaces with 72 hours being spoken about as the maximum time. It would be best to leave the car untouched for three days.

Cheers
Cyborg is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks