Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th October 2020, 08:49   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: 2nd Case of Carbon Monoxide poisoning inside a car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vharihar View Post
Drunk man falls asleep in car with AC on, found dead:

Never knew sleeping in the car with AC on and windows shut can be so very dangerous
It is !!!

I have an earnest appeal to all those who're reading this.

Please give up this habit of being too dependent on airconditioning.

1. The body gets used to a comfy humidity level and typical 20-26 degrees ambient temperature, and then even normal heat gets unbearable.

2. If someone must sleep in the car at night, do so with the windows crack open and AC off.

3. Even during daytime, please don't keep the car AC running with the car stationary; switch off the car, move out and sweat !!!
vigsom is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th October 2020, 09:56   #17
BHPian

Re: 2nd Case of Carbon Monoxide poisoning inside a car.

Found this article about hypoxia on high altitude.

Quote:
There’s only one good thing to be said for hypoxia. It probably doesn’t hurt as much as the many other ways in which committing aviation can kill you.

The first survivor of aviation-related hypoxia got to the nub of the problem when he described it. Hypoxia is a seductive way to die.

‘One does not suffer in any way; on the contrary. One feels an inner joy, as if filled with a radiant flood of light,’ French pioneering balloonist, Gaston Tissandier, wrote in 1875. ‘One becomes indifferent, one thinks neither of the perilous situation nor of any danger.’
My knowledge of hypoxia comes from aviation, which I have been following as an enthusiast for years. But I think it relates here too.

Hypoxia takes away your decision making ability very quickly and if during this time you are busy in some other task like driving or flying an aircraft you won't be able to know that you are suffering from it. Carbon monoxide poisoning and altitude induced hypoxia is different from suffocating as in the former two you are able to fill your lungs but your blood does not get oxygen. So no alarms are set off in your brain. Unless your brain is trained to detect signs of hypoxia (like blue fingers etc) when uneasiness sets in, there is no way you can come to the conclusion that you are being deprived of oxygen. You will finally acknowledge it, but by that time you would need immediate saturated oxygen to survive, normal air won't do. Alcohol or heavy smoking only speeds up the process. So anytime you are sitting or driving your car with closed windows, remind yourself to look for signs of hypoxia and open those windows as early as uneasiness sets in.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks