Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th July 2020, 06:00   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Factory and vehicle production photos from yesteryears- An archive of the Indian Automotive indu

Wonderful pictures. There's something so nice about a freshly manufactured car right off an assembly line, isn't there?
McLaren Rulez is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 9th July 2020, 06:52   #17
BHPian

Re: Factory and vehicle production photos from yesteryears- An archive of the Indian Automotive indu

Thanks for the topic. That navy blue Honda city is stunning, have never seen it in that shade before.

Here is a movie song shot in ~1988 at Standard Motors, Perungalathur, Chennai.
Thermodynamics is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 9th July 2020, 07:02   #18
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Factory & vehicle production photos from yesteryears - An archive of the Indian Automotive indus

My God, thanks for taking us back in time, Sidindica. Another one of your smash-hit, unique threads. Was nice to see fresh new "old" models, and also younger versions of famous personalities like RC Bhargava. These pictures really capture the spirit of the car industry post-liberalisation when all the big brands came to India, hoping to make it big.

Today, every car factory looks more or less the same. Wasn't the case back then.
GTO is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 9th July 2020, 09:58   #19
BHPian

Re: Factory & vehicle production photos from yesteryears - An archive of the Indian Automotive indus

An excellent writeup and an equally excellent collection of images. One cannot help but feel nostalgic seeing so many old cars at one place, thinking and reminiscing about the glory days that we may have actually left past in the horizon long back.

One sleepless night while browsing the indiacontent website, I've actually stumbled upon these rather interesting images that I had saved in my phone. I'm posting these images in a non linear style below.

Factory & vehicle production photos from yesteryears - An archive of the Indian Automotive industry-img20200505wa0032.jpg

Factory & vehicle production photos from yesteryears - An archive of the Indian Automotive industry-img20200505wa0040.jpg

Factory & vehicle production photos from yesteryears - An archive of the Indian Automotive industry-img20200505wa0033.jpg

Factory & vehicle production photos from yesteryears - An archive of the Indian Automotive industry-img20200505wa0041.jpg

Factory & vehicle production photos from yesteryears - An archive of the Indian Automotive industry-img20200505wa0042.jpg

Factory & vehicle production photos from yesteryears - An archive of the Indian Automotive industry-img20200505wa0035.jpg

Factory & vehicle production photos from yesteryears - An archive of the Indian Automotive industry-img20200505wa0036.jpg

Factory & vehicle production photos from yesteryears - An archive of the Indian Automotive industry-img20200505wa0034.jpg

Factory & vehicle production photos from yesteryears - An archive of the Indian Automotive industry-img20200505wa0037.jpg

Also there is another YouTube channel called wildfilmsindia with an interesting archive of video footages dating back to the past couple of decades. If I recall correctly, I have watched videos from the Alto launch event and Tata Indigo launch conference in which Ratan Tata was himself present among several other videos. Posting a link to the channel as well Link

Cheers
Tanveer02 is offline   (29) Thanks
Old 9th July 2020, 10:38   #20
Senior - BHPian

MERCEDES BENZ-TELCO

The Mercedes Benz E 220 and E 250 diesel-W124 being assembled in the TELCO plant in Pune in 1996 and Mr. Ratan Tata addresses the press conference during its unveiling.

Factory & vehicle production photos from yesteryears - An archive of the Indian Automotive industry-img-1.jpg

Factory & vehicle production photos from yesteryears - An archive of the Indian Automotive industry-img-2.jpg

Factory & vehicle production photos from yesteryears - An archive of the Indian Automotive industry-img-3.jpg

Tata Indigo and Indigo marina being manufactured and stocked in September 2004 in Tata Motors Pune Plant.

Factory & vehicle production photos from yesteryears - An archive of the Indian Automotive industry-gettyimages513032952048x2048.jpg

Factory & vehicle production photos from yesteryears - An archive of the Indian Automotive industry-gettyimages513082492048x2048.jpg

Factory & vehicle production photos from yesteryears - An archive of the Indian Automotive industry-gettyimages513085612048x2048.jpg

Another Image of Daewoo Matiz inside the Surajpur UP plant of Daewoo Motors India

Factory & vehicle production photos from yesteryears - An archive of the Indian Automotive industry-gettyimages513460512048x2048.jpg

Last edited by sidindica : 9th July 2020 at 10:53.
sidindica is offline   (31) Thanks
Old 9th July 2020, 10:57   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidindica View Post
[center]GENERAL MOTORS INDIA

Chevrolet Tavera-photos from 2005 in Halol Factory, Gujarat.
Thanks for sharing. In the Summer of 2005 as after completing my 2nd year in Engineering I did my summer internship at GM at Halol. My project was on the Tavera dashboard and I spent weeks on the assembly line studying how its put together. At the end of the internship I had enough knowledge to assemble the dashboard myself.

This internship helped me get another one the next year at Volkswagen in Wolfsburg, Germany. Thanks for brining back these memories !
Foxbat is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 9th July 2020, 11:18   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

@Sidindica - Thank you Sir , brings back lot of memories. When my father had an Esteem an uncle of mine bought a Padmini, it felt plain wierd and ancient those days. Today I would scrap an Esteem and restore a Padmini. How things have changed.

My father had some car crazy friends who used to buy every new car in the market, even if it's the same model with a special edition or some new features. The emerging India was indeed flaunting it's wealth back in those days.

The MK1 Scorpio's pictures showcase what the vehicle is all about - Engine and drive train, everything else appears to be optional. Sure enough, to this day that character remains. Including the tires in the picture - Bridgestone Dueler, still a favourite. The first lot vehicle in itself looks very utilitarian in the pictures.

The Safari's in comparison looks far more opulent and luxurious and stylish than even the later models, those tires with OWL and Kumho make as well, shows how much effort had gone into making it.

Ambassador factory has someone wearing a 'Baniyan'

The 90s and early 2000's Tata appear to be their best ever, finally now Tata is getting back in shape.
Kosfactor is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 9th July 2020, 11:56   #23
BHPian

Thanks for the amazing thread Sidindica! These rare photos literally capture the evolution of the Indian car industry starting from the Premier Padmini, to the Daewoo Matiz to the likes of the Honda City, Fiat Punto et al.
My grandfather owned a Mark II Ambassador back in the 70s and it was doing duty until the early 2010s. It sure would have boggled his mind to see how far the Indian car scene has evolved.
anshu1101 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th July 2020, 11:56   #24
BHPian

Thanks for a jog down my memory lane. Growing up my dad owned a Premier 118NE and HM Contessa. I was in junior school but my memories of these two cars are still bright as ever. Glad to have experienced the Indian automotive sector of the 80s and 90s - highs and lows (being stranded a few times due to break downs )
Old 9th July 2020, 12:25   #25

Quote:
DAEWOO MOTORS INDIA
Hi Sid. Thanks a lot for sharing these images. I had read your older Post on DMIL Surajpur Plant. Impressive work my brother

Last edited by Jaggu : 9th July 2020 at 12:40. Reason: Fixing quote tags.
Old 9th July 2020, 12:41   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post

Ambassador factory has someone wearing a 'Baniyan'
That ambassador body shell is also sitting on drums.

Thanks for the thread, and jogging old memories.
nsbhagwat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th July 2020, 15:02   #27
BANNED

Was just about to cry going back to old times. Those Premier Padmini, red 800, Maruti 1000, Matiz, Cielo, Zen, pictures took me back in the days when I used to drool over them, pestering my dad to buy them. Guess, I would never be able to relive those times, would never be able to buy a new Cielo, or a Maruti 1000.
Old 9th July 2020, 15:46   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsbhagwat View Post
That ambassador body shell is also sitting on drums.

Thanks for the thread, and jogging old memories.
The car is suspended in the air. The angle of the picture makes it look like its kept on the drum, when it isn't. Notice the 3rd picture and it clearly shows, how it is suspended in air.
Old 9th July 2020, 15:48   #29
BHPian

Quote:
HONDA SIEL CARS INDIA LIMITED

The 2009 Arrow shot design third generation Honda City V, showcased inside its factory in Greater Noida, UP before launch. Some photos of its manufacturing have also been captured.

Attachment 2027203
Best looking Honda City ever for me. Thanks a tonne for this wonderful thread.
ask_017 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th July 2020, 16:45   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
TOYOTA KIRLOSKAR MOTOR INDIA PVT LTD

The Toyota Innova being put through its paces during a media review and its manufacturing being captured inside the company's factory in Bidadi, Bangalore, Karnataka in 2005.
This just brings back memories of my beloved Innova 2005 VVT-I, majority of my childhood was spent in this car. If I ever got the chance to find it’s owner I would surely buy it. Sold it in just 9 years in 2014 at 92000kms which is nothing for a Toyota, till this day regret selling it!

By the way, the Red Innova in the pictures is also a Petrol one (a rare one).

Amazing thread Sir!

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 9th July 2020 at 16:49. Reason: Quote content shortened
CEF_Beasts is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks