Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th July 2020, 19:44   #46
BHPian

Re: Facelifts that ruined the car’s beauty & were a step back

It seems that there are many here who are confusing a facelift with a new generation of the car. To put it simply, a facelift basically refers to a refreshed 'new' look that is added to car if the model has been sold by the manufacturer for more than say 5 years to help prevent the car from looking dated or boring. Common changes that are seen during facelifts are 'new front grill' , 'new lights', 'refreshed interior' , 'new rims' etc. Often during a facelift mechanical changes aren't introduced and it is essentially the same car .
A new generation on the other hand, is when the car is completely revamped and changed. Such that , it looks totally different in terms of shape and size and maybe also mechanicals. For Example :-

Facelift:-
This is a classic example of a 'facelift'
Facelifts that ruined the car’s beauty & were a step back-unnamed.jpg
As you can see the Type 1 1998 Honda City had smaller and non-clear lens lights and some bits around the interior were different than the Type 2. It had 1.3 and 1.5 Petrol engines.

Facelifts that ruined the car’s beauty & were a step back-hondacity19988.jpg
In 2000, Honda introduced the Type 2 Honda City, Although, the 1.3 and 1.5 engines remained the same , along with a new VTEC engine being introduced. The notable changes were new and bigger clear lens head lights and taillights and a few small changes here and there, but it essentially remained the same car !

Generation Change:-
Facelifts that ruined the car’s beauty & were a step back-honda.jpg
This image is a classic example of generation change where the car undergoes a complete change. As it can be seen, the image displays the evolution of the Honda City from the First Generation to the Fourth Generation !

I hope this post has helped clear all doubts and misconceptions.
BeemerBug_06 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 14th July 2020, 20:35   #47
BHPian

Re: Shield your eyes, the winner is here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vredesbyrd View Post
WHAT IN OBLIVION IS THAT???
We don't know yet. Just don't touch anything till we're sure what it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrozeninTime View Post
DC didn't design Zen Classic. It was designed by Suzuki of Japan. Maruti in house R&D designed second face-lift of zen in 2003.
That was an attempt at humour implying that nobody could botch up an aesthetic mod like DC could.. Until the Zen classic came along.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeemerBug_06 View Post
car undergoes a complete change.
That second honda was adopted. Look at it!

Last edited by Tassem : 14th July 2020 at 20:37.
Tassem is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 14th July 2020, 20:39   #48
BHPian

In addition to my previous reply, here's my list of car's which did not look as good in their facelifted avatar. Although, in most cases the facelift usually improves the look of the car :-

1. Hyundai Verna Transform
2. Fiat Palio Stile
3. Toyota Fortuner 2011 facelift
4. Maruti Zen 2003 facelift
5. Toyota Innova 2013 facelift with the huge chrome grill up front
6. Maruti SX4 2013 facelift with the overpowering chrome grill up front
7. Nissan Sunny facelift wiith new headlights
8. Maruti Wagon R 2013 facelift
9. Chevrolet Spark 2012 facelift with the new front end
10.Mercedes Benz W212 facelift
Old 14th July 2020, 21:06   #49
BHPian

BMW 7 Series

From this...
Facelifts that ruined the car’s beauty & were a step back-bmw7serieslcivsprelci12of14.jpg

...to this
Facelifts that ruined the car’s beauty & were a step back-bmw7seriesfaceliftfrontstatic1.jpg

The facelift's design has still not grown on me one bit. Although I found the X7 pretty good, the humongous grille on a sedan like the 7 series is a big no-no.

Last edited by PetrolheadRup : 14th July 2020 at 21:25.
PetrolheadRup is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 14th July 2020, 21:17   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoverX View Post
This list isn't complete without mentioning the absolute jaw-dropping (literally) exercise done to the design of a car. This one went from being the subtle, elegant, albeit boring form...

...to gangster braces!!

(Picture courtesy: T-BHP official reviews)
While S cross facelift is seen as bad by some on Team-BHP, there are others like me who loved the facelift that changed the car's appearance from mellow to aggressive. In fact I remember seeing some posts where people were asking whether they can get new look on their pre-facelift S cross.

I feel the facelift looks a lot like costlier brand cars, which is a good thing. Only few can think that a Maruti looking as a BMW is bad! Beauty lies in the eyes of the beholder, indeed.
ani_meher is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 14th July 2020, 22:25   #51
BHPian

As we all know and is mentioned, looks are subjective and regarding the Safari and the Safari Storme, I don’t think we could call it merely a facelift. It was a different car in many ways like WagonR and WagonR Stingray.

To me personally, it would be the Alto 800.

Not a major change, just the reworked front and the same case for the Verna Fluidic and 4s.

Facelifts that ruined the car’s beauty & were a step back-e338c6d783ac43a982340559f31f3267.jpeg

Facelifts that ruined the car’s beauty & were a step back-19045c31b8bb4c59bdeab243b550be33.jpeg

Last edited by alikidwhy : 14th July 2020 at 22:36. Reason: Wrong car
Old 15th July 2020, 00:03   #52
BHPian

My No. 1 pick would be the Hyundai Verna Transform.
This face lift has always been there in my mind and it is to stay for long.
When i saw the face lift, I was thinking "What the heck?"
It probably looks like a part of Nissan design and I am not a fan of it.
I still wonder how could they come up with the Juke.

Nissan did it too with the Micra. The face lifted headlights with weird out of place sharp edges on the sides, completely out of place given it body design.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.aviansh View Post

2.) Hyundai Verna Transform :Attachment 2028073

Mid 2000’s was the era of the jellybean midsize sedans. The 2nd generation Honda City, MS SX4, Chevrolet Aveo and Hyundai Verna all had become curvy.
But later with the sleek 3rd Honda City coming in, Hyundai intelligently realised that this jellybean design would soon be outdated and it seemed like they hurriedly facelifted the cute li’l Verna to an eagle like thing. It looked like it was trying to ‘TRANSFORM’ to a ‘78 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am and had stopped midway. The sales plummeted so much that it found no takers and eventually they had to bring in a new generation worldwide the very next year.
Old 15th July 2020, 08:41   #53
BHPian

Albeit not a car, but this is one facelift that did not lift anything! The RTR 200 4V facelift is ghastly! No other word for it!

And if you compare it to its smokin' hot predecessor, you'll how far back it has gone. No offense to any owners of the facelift, but this is one visual update our eyes could do without!

What is was...

Facelifts that ruined the car’s beauty & were a step back-img_20200715_083610.jpg

V/S

What it became!

Facelifts that ruined the car’s beauty & were a step back-img_20200715_083633.jpg

*All images taken off the internet. Credits to the respective owners.
AlQuazi is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th July 2020, 17:09   #54
BHPian

This mid life facelift for the i20 elite hasn't really been all that great. It is not what I would call "ruined" but why did they have to change the beautiful rear light cluster. That was the best part of the i20 elite in my opinion. The new one isn't horrendous but definitely a step down from the original. Not much of a change at the front either. So the only significant bit they seem to have done is, spoil the rear.

Facelifts that ruined the car’s beauty & were a step back-i201.jpg
Beautiful derrier

Facelifts that ruined the car’s beauty & were a step back-i202.jpeg

meh!

Just saw earlier in thread that i20 elite has been previously mentioned.

Last edited by Amsdoc : 15th July 2020 at 17:17.
Amsdoc is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th July 2020, 18:40   #55
BHPian

The original Tata Safari was a beauty and the facelift just killed it.
Old 15th July 2020, 19:20   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramki.grandhi View Post
Dont forget the best:
This facelift tops the list of "job that went wrong!
Old 16th July 2020, 20:00   #57
BHPian

For me Its Mitsubishi Outlander. I love the looks of the car especially the smoked/transparent tail-lights and its bold front look. Although its not selling in India from a long time, Still many Mitsubishi fans love this car.

Facelifts that ruined the car’s beauty & were a step back-v-combine.jpg
Vyas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th July 2020, 20:43   #58
Senior - BHPian

The original Punto that was released in India vs. the face-lifted one (also called the Punto evo). The original one had a timeless design while the latter one lacked personality in my opinion.

Not exactly a facelift, but the cute looking Daewoo Matiz was extensively changed from outside to Chevrolet Spark when most of its innards were same. The face-lifted Spark looked even more boring.
Old 17th July 2020, 03:31   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ₹itzylove View Post
I am not sure how many of you agree with me. But to be honest Skoda ruined the classic look for Superb in 2016 with the facelift.
Superb to me should be CLASSY not so sporty or stylish like an Octavia.
In my opinion, the current generation is an improvement due to following reasons:

1. The body in the previous gen was disproportionate and limo like. It always felt like someone has used force and stretched the car and whole stretching was concentrated only in mid portion. The hood and the boot length looked like only one-fifth of the body. It looked so more so in person.The current gen looks much more proportionate.
2. The understated looks and crisp detailing in the current gen is absolute taste. Nothing stands out sorely but when you look at the whole facsia, it conveys a sense of occasion.
Old 21st July 2020, 11:18   #60
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Oddly, I feel that except for the Palio, all the cars listed looked better after the refresh. Even in case of the Safari the improvement in stability and rear door noise reduction due to wheel going below the rear justified what it lost at the Back. The new Ford Aspire too looks better. I am also not too offended by the bigger BMW grills due to other improvements, love the Skoda refresh and even the previous E-Class copy dual headlights on the Octavia.

So maybe I am biased but I do like the refreshed looks that many don't seem to like.

Last edited by ACM : 21st July 2020 at 11:20.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks