Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th March 2007, 22:54   #16
Senior - BHPian

if LHD is the problem then one solution might be to sell your car and get an RHD mustang from Canada.
Old 26th March 2007, 22:57   #17

Thanks guys for your suggestions...!

if LHD is problem i can convert it to RHD , there is an work shop in Missourie which converts LHD cars to RHD .
Home Page - RIGHTHANDDRIVEAMERICA.COM

if i convert , will i be able to ship the car.

This was my dream car , so can't leave it behind in USA .

Please suggest.

Thanks again for helping me ..........

-Vamshi
Old 26th March 2007, 23:16   #18
Senior - BHPian

A guy from ram's office has imported a LHD ML320 a few months ago.
Old 26th March 2007, 23:23   #19
Senior - BHPian

when you want to get a car under TR how long do you need to be staying in that country ? also if your going to coll out ther can you still bring a car under TR.im guessing you cant.
Old 27th March 2007, 02:22   #20
Senior - BHPian

You need to have owned that car and stayed abroad for 3 years, AFAIK. So the Canada option is out, ananth. But yes, you can get it converted to RHD. Though I suggest you read the rules carefully, because you don't want to spend all that money and then not be allowed.
Old 27th March 2007, 02:30   #21
BHPian

cars in Canada are LHD as in the US.
Old 27th March 2007, 04:44   #22
BHPian

The conversion costs are around 12000 dollars. LHD through TR is a definite No. If you do convert to RHD, you will not be able to register in the US
Old 27th March 2007, 08:08   #23
Senior - BHPian

Moreover, Its unsafe to drive an LHD car in India. So its better to convert it to RHD and get it here.
Old 27th March 2007, 19:47   #24
BHPian

Hmm... FORD MUSTANG: $6K, RHD conversion: $12K, shipping: $ 3K. Customs dooty: @ 105%

Stuck in B2B traffic on a potholed road: PRICELESS

Seriously, man! Are you serious?
DileepKS is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th March 2007, 20:04   #25
BHPian

Importing

You should be able to convert it into a RHD and then import it. LHDs are a definite no-no unless under a couple of specific conditions which you most probably will not be eleigible under.

You should have been a NRI for two years from the date of shipping your vehicle and you should have owned the said vehicle for a minimum of one year from the date of shipping.

The current price is immaterial - they will look up the original price from KBB as on the date of manufacturing, apply a depreciation factor for every quarter since then upto a max depreciation of 70%. On this they will add shipping, handling, insurace charges and charge about 105+% as duty. In all probability your shipping agent will also state that the customs officers involved has asked for a certain % though you will not know whether it is the customs officer or the handling agent.

Do calculate your Total Cost of Ownership before you embark. Cheers.
Old 27th March 2007, 20:15   #26

Thanks GUys.

I own this mustang from past 2 years.

conversion guys said they will take $4000, which is a local service station in Delaware USA.

I stay in Hyderabad in INDIA, can i ship it to some other remote shipping port where i can avoid more taxes and other stuff ...

i got an shipping agent he says , he will ship to vizag in INDIA.

Are there any agents in INDIA who can help me handling this...

Regards
Vamshi
Old 27th March 2007, 20:16   #27
BHPian

dont mean to hijack this tread but what are the complications involved in importing of engines.
Old 27th March 2007, 23:48   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpanicker View Post
You should be able to convert it into a RHD and then import it. LHDs are a definite no-no unless under a couple of specific conditions which you most probably will not be eleigible under.

You should have been a NRI for two years from the date of shipping your vehicle and you should have owned the said vehicle for a minimum of one year from the date of shipping.

The current price is immaterial - they will look up the original price from KBB as on the date of manufacturing, apply a depreciation factor for every quarter since then upto a max depreciation of 70%. On this they will add shipping, handling, insurace charges and charge about 105+% as duty. In all probability your shipping agent will also state that the customs officers involved has asked for a certain % though you will not know whether it is the customs officer or the handling agent.

Do calculate your Total Cost of Ownership before you embark. Cheers.
This is the exact scenario involved in importing a second hand car to India, cant get more right than this except for the fact that the duty is 157% om depreciated value. Import the car in any port import duty will be the same as everything is on Computer and no individual can change that, let it be any customs officer or clearing agent.
Old 28th March 2007, 00:23   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawan View Post
dont mean to hijack this tread but what are the complications involved in importing of engines.
Too many to talk about here. Start a separate thread.
Old 28th March 2007, 00:37   #30
Senior - BHPian

And also consider the cost of the upkeep of this vehicle in India when you have to import each & every component that needs to be replaced. I'd say it is not worth the trouble unless you have something really special about this machine.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks