Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th August 2020, 22:51   #1
Senior - BHPian

Rumour: Details of VW, Skoda, Audi & Porsche India's engine plans

It has been reported that as part of the India 2.0 strategy, the Volkswagen Group will no longer offer diesel engine options in its cars. We have now received full details of the range of petrol engines that will be available in India.

Rumour: Details of VW, Skoda, Audi & Porsche India's engine plans-2020skodarapidtsi02.jpg

Starting with the smallest engine in the range, the upcoming VW SUV and sedan will be powered by a 1.0-litre engine producing 114 BHP. This engine will be offered with a 6-speed manual and 6-speed torque converter automatic transmission.

Rumour: Details of VW, Skoda, Audi & Porsche India's engine plans-download-1.jpg

Skoda's upcoming SUV and sedan will be offered with a 1.5-litre engine with an output of 147 BHP. It will be paired with a 6-speed manual and 7-speed dual-clutch automatic transmission. In the Octavia and Kodiaq, Skoda will offer a 2.0-litre turbo-petrol engine tuned to produce 188 BHP and will be mated to a 7-speed dual-clutch automatic transmission.

Rumour: Details of VW, Skoda, Audi & Porsche India's engine plans-download-2.jpg

Moving to the premium segment, the Audi A4 facelift will get a 2.0-litre engine paired with a 7-speed DSG. This engine will have an output of 249 BHP. The Porsche Cayenne and Cayenne Coupe will get a 3.0-litre engine with 340 BHP and an 8-speed automatic gearbox.

Rumour: Details of VW, Skoda, Audi & Porsche India's engine plans-audi_a4limo.jpg

Last week, the Seat Arona was spotted testing near Pune. The car is reportedly a decoy testing components for the Skoda Kamiq.

Thanks to the Team-BHP fan (he prefers to remain anonymous) who sent this information in. Heartfelt gratitude for sharing it with other enthusiasts via this page!

Last edited by TusharK : 16th August 2020 at 22:53.
TusharK is offline   (36) Thanks
Old 16th August 2020, 22:54   #2
BHPian

re: Rumour: Details of VW, Skoda, Audi & Porsche India's engine plans

Skoda Octavia’s 2.0 L TSI with 189 BHP ought to be the non-vRS! That should light up the segment. Interesting 2021 indeed.
TokyoDrifter is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 16th August 2020, 23:33   #3
Team-BHP Support

Four brands - four major engines.

Thankfully all competent, modern, turbo-petrols which will power equally capable cars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TusharK View Post
Starting with the smallest engine in the range, the upcoming VW SUV and sedan will be powered by a 1.0-litre engine producing 114 BHP.

Skoda's upcoming SUV and sedan will be offered with a 1.5-litre engine with an output of 147 BHP.
Looks like the 1.0 MPI that does duty in the Polo will be phased out with the car then. It's too weak for the future portfolio.

Also, VW will be using the 1.0 TSi for it's upcoming SUV whereas Skoda will be using the 1.5 for theirs? If we are discussing the Taigun/Vision IN cars here - looks like Skoda is taking the upper hand over VW after taking control of India operations. Believe earlier rumours said both cars will have the 1.5 TSi for the top-end variants.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 16th August 2020 at 23:43.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 16th August 2020, 23:41   #4
GBX
BHPian

In other news, when asked about their upcoming engine strategy, Honda executives pointed to multiple innovations in the 2020 City including "DOHC", "Fuel Injection" and "Pistons".
Experts in the industry are divided on whether the market will accept such radical ideas.

(Tongue firmly in cheek of course )
GBX is offline   (38) Thanks
Old 17th August 2020, 00:19   #5

Quote:
Starting with the smallest engine in the range, the upcoming VW SUV and sedan will be powered by a 1.0-litre engine producing 114 BHP. This engine will be offered with a 6-speed manual and 6-speed torque converter automatic transmission.
It breaks my heart to learn that the 1.5L mill may not be offered on Taigun. Hope the top end variant does have it. Can the informant please confirm this?
loudpops is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th August 2020, 09:04   #6
BHPian

I hope Skoda will offer Octavia 2.0Tsi with a manual as well. There are some people who don't want to risk DSG and manual will be fun too. Since they'll no longer have diesel, atleast they should offer both transmission option. Manual will also help to keep the starting price low.
Old 17th August 2020, 09:48   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
--

--
VW's website has Taigun being offered in the 7 speed DSG configuration. Is this with the 1.0L TSI engine, I guess not?

Rumour: Details of VW, Skoda, Audi & Porsche India's engine plans-ta.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by loudpops View Post
It breaks my heart to learn that the 1.5L mill may not be offered on Taigun. Hope the top end variant does have it. Can the informant please confirm this?
Old 17th August 2020, 10:58   #8
Team-BHP Support

This is good informative news but I have my doubts and will reserve my final thought when I see it on paper concretely.

All the plans look plausible and very much in line with expectations except for one, which is the Octavia.

The news says the Octavia will get a 2L TSI engine. This I will believe when I see it internationally.

As it stands Skoda have not launched the new Octavia with the 2L TSI engine on the sedan body shape. The 2L TSI is going to be available in the future on the Estate and will only be offered with an AWD system (for towing). The only 2L TSI sedan variant is the vRS recently unveiled.

Also given the fact that the Superb Sportline is available at 29.99L and the Karoq with 1.5L TSI is 24.99L, I don't see how Skoda are going to get a 2L TSI Octavia so close to the Superb.

Skoda has always gotten the Octavia, Superb and Kodiaq as SKD (Karoq as CBU). These have all been from EU countries with what different specs but from what is made at the factory. There has never been a custom engine/gearbox config built for India.

I do not see this changing and am pretty sure that India will get a well priced Octavia with the 1.5L TSI and a year or 2 later the vRS with 2L TSI.
Vid6639 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 17th August 2020, 11:29   #9
Senior - BHPian

Great news if all these plans come good!

Quote:
Skoda's upcoming SUV and sedan will be offered with a 1.5-litre engine with an output of 147 BHP. It will be paired with a 6-speed manual and 7-speed dual-clutch automatic transmission.
Wow! Which sedan is this? Any hope of this being a C segment sedan?? Or even C and a half? Asking since Octavia is called out separately with the 2L.

There is a proverb in Malayalam which goes something like this - 'Give elephant, but don't give hope'.
deetjohn is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th August 2020, 12:02   #10
Team-BHP Support

Re: Rumour: Details of VW, Skoda, Audi & Porsche India's engine plans

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetjohn View Post
Great news if all these plans come good!

Wow! Which sedan is this? Any hope of this being a C segment sedan?? Or even C and a half? Asking since Octavia is called out separately with the 2L.

There is a proverb in Malayalam which goes something like this - 'Give elephant, but don't give hope'.
Rapid replacement, the all new generation.
Vid6639 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th August 2020, 08:08   #11
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Rumour: Details of VW, Skoda, Audi & Porsche India's engine plans

Just a note, guys. These kind of leaks should always be considered as "indicative" rather than "definitive". That's the nature of scoops. Plus, it could be that the company has planned something today, but will change the decision based on market sentiments / logistics / competition in 2021.
GTO is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 19th August 2020, 17:12   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
All the plans look plausible and very much in line with expectations except for one, which is the Octavia.

The news says the Octavia will get a 2L TSI engine. This I will believe when I see it internationally.

Also given the fact that the Superb Sportline is available at 29.99L and the Karoq with 1.5L TSI is 24.99L, I don't see how Skoda are going to get a 2L TSI Octavia so close to the Superb.

I do not see this changing and am pretty sure that India will get a well priced Octavia with the 1.5L TSI and a year or 2 later the vRS with 2L TSI.
The Octavia is the one that really "made" the Skoda brand in India primarily due to its focus, on being completely "a drivers (driving enthusiast's) car." The price difference between an Octavia & Superb hasn't been much anyway. The 2019 Octavia L&K 1.8 Tsi was priced @ 23.6L & the 2019 Superb 1.8 Tsi AT Style @27.79L & the Corporate edition of the same but with manual transmission @23.99 L.

Both the cars appeal and cater to a different target audience, so if the 2.0L Octavia's pricing is close to the Superb Sportline, it won't really matter much. We are talking of 2021 model car and it really is not that difficult for Skoda to offer the 2.0L engine in the sedan version of the car globally by then. Also considering the covid situation in India and its impact across all industries and the terrible state of our economy, one feels that the Octavia will get delayed further to June or July 2021. I really don't see the company not offering the 2.0 L, 190 Bhp version in India.

With regards to the Vrs, thats too niche a product with the market in India being barely at < 100 cars a year. Its just to spice things up and create some excitement & news and it may just be an overpriced CBU for the real enthusiasts. So we will have to just wait and see what Skoda brings our way, but there should be a 2.0L sedan version launched within a few months of the 1.5L one (if launched by Feb. 2021) or even the two getting launched together by June/July 21

Ah ! just after writing the above post, I came across this feature article, that the Octavia will get delayed further and not launch in Feb. 2021.....

https://www.motorbeam.com/2021-skoda...ch-next-month/

Last edited by Vid6639 : 19th August 2020 at 18:18. Reason: Merging back to back posts.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks