Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 25th August 2020, 14:48   #16
BHPian

Re: A Close Look : MG Hector Plus

More reason to discourage my friends and family considering chinese product.

What is the USP of MG-Hector Plus ? None in my view
- It's a big car, but can seat 4 adults only!
- Forget carrying any reasonable luggage for 4 + 2. Maybe thrown in 2-3 backpacks at the most.

Ofcourse, it's not as expensive as Innova, however Innova offers bullet proof reliability and multiple seating configuration.

With strong anti-china sentiment prevailing, it's an uphill task for MG to rake any big numbers.
harishpr is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th August 2020, 15:20   #17
BHPian

This might be a good option for the chauffeur driven considering the D-segment sedan barely exists anymore (Only the Elantra survives). The rear captain's chairs in cars at that price point or even in the Crysta are rarely as well bolstered as the front seats but these look surprisingly good! The tan interiors do make it a lot more inviting and really suits that blue paint.

The regular Hector still makes more sense if it's going to be the only car for a family of 4 with kids in their late teens, unless you plan to drive yourself on those days. A 5+2 would have tempted certain Ertiga/Innova GX grade customers to cross shop and found more favour in the market IMO.

Hope that MG have done their market study carefully for their own good because it looks like they have invested in new tooling for the bumpers, lights and the boot lid.

Also, not sure if they were too lazy to devise a tumble or slide system for entry into the 3rd row. Even if it's meant for kids, I've not seen any other 3-row vehicle without it. Walking through is never a very elegant solution once you're past a certain height.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omkar View Post
This feature worked like a charm every time in the MG. Interestingly, swipe your foot again (once you've loaded your cargo) and the tailgate closes on its own! Not sure what's the purpose of this, but it's there if you don't want to touch the close button on the tailgate:
It's definitely a huge boon if you've just picked up shopping bags from the boot with both hands, especially in this COVID era where you want to touch as few surfaces as possible (To keep your hands clean or to keep the surface clean). We use it all the time in our Kodiaq

Last edited by saur95 : 25th August 2020 at 15:21.
Old 25th August 2020, 17:46   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Super-detailed report, Omkar! Thanks for sharing .

This Plus variant has more differentiators than I would have thought. MG has put in reasonable effort. But if I liked the Hector, I would probably stick with the regular variant only. Reason = Spacious backseat that can comfortably seat 3 people. Also, the last row in the Plus variant is really unusable by anyone other than obedient children.
@GTO, i liked the way you stressed on "obedient" children, implying not even young children will sit there for long voluntarily.
vennarbank is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th August 2020, 18:29   #19
Senior - BHPian

MG has been honest with its marketing. They're marketing it as a car for 4 adults and 2 children. The same was reiterated during the launch event by the MD himself. So points for that.

It doesn't make sense over the Hector. But the cleaner design might make some Hector buyers to switch to the Plus.

I don't see genuine Innova prospective customers flocking it this. More like, it adds a new dimension to the Hector portfolio by giving the buyer more options. And it just might increase their numbers.

MG is already leading the segment by a big margin and I can only see them consolidating their lead.
Old 25th August 2020, 20:25   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Interestingly, swipe your foot again (once you've loaded your cargo) and the tailgate closes on its own! Not sure what's the purpose of this, but it's there if you don't want to touch the close button on the tailgate
The purpose is that you might have your hands full after unloading the boot. So you use your feet to close the boot and walk away.
McLaren Rulez is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 26th August 2020, 00:59   #21
BHPian

My personal opinion on the looks of this car - add/subtract as much bling as you want but it still looks very plain jane. The Hexa, Innova, etc have more character and feel more solid. This one just looks like a well rounded brick. Unknowingly my bias against chinese products might be influencing my mind - not just due to recent sentiment but an age old belief that their products are not made to last.

This MG and Seltos launched at the same time, but Seltos looked better anyday.

Last edited by Arjun Bharadwaj : 26th August 2020 at 01:14. Reason: Remembered another point which I missed
Arjun Bharadwaj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th August 2020, 16:01   #22
BHPian

I like the MGs idea and thought process of having captain seats for luxurious and comfortable travel. For a family of 2 + 2 kids and occasionally accommodating guests for short journeys, this seems the best option. With good feature set and space to offer at this price is USP of the car.

Also, that red strip removal from back is very very welcoming step, good work MG

The only missing option in this car is the lack of Diesel automatic.

Having said this, do I really go and buy this car if I have to shop? Not sure how relevant it is but with ongoing anti-China sentiments I may not. Will avoid having guilt of ignoring the issues of LoAC.

Regards
SE
Old 27th August 2020, 08:59   #23
BHPian

Quote:

Another welcome change is smartphone compatibility. Android Auto and Apple CarPlay are now displayed fullscreen unlike in the Hector, which displayed only in the middle portion of the screen (reference image):

Can't this be fixed through a software update on Hector? IMO, it should be possible and MG should fix this. Owners may confirm whether MG is doing this please.
Old 27th August 2020, 10:37   #24
Senior - BHPian

MG Hector Plus gets a price hike of up to Rs. 46,000

Prices of the MG Hector Plus have been increased by up to Rs. 46,000. The SUV is now priced from Rs. 13.74 lakh (ex-showroom).

Here's a close look at the MG Hector Plus (A Close Look : MG Hector Plus)

A Close Look : MG Hector Plus-2020mghectorplus02.jpg

The Hector Plus petrol sees a price hike ranging from Rs. 5,000 for the Super variant to Rs. 25,000 for the Style variant. Prices of the Sharp Hybrid and Sharp DCT variants have been hiked by Rs. 10,000 and Rs. 15,000 respectively.

A Close Look : MG Hector Plus-2020mghectorplus14.jpg

MG Hector Plus Petrol prices:

• Style - Rs. 13.74 lakh
  • Smart DCT - Rs. 16.70 lakh
  • Sharp Hybrid - Rs. 17.39 lakh
  • Sharp DCT - Rs. 18.36 lakh

A Close Look : MG Hector Plus-2020mghectorplus12.jpg

The Style diesel variant sees the highest hike of Rs. 46,000, while the prices of the Super and Smart variants have gone up by Rs. 5,000 each. The Sharp diesel trim now costs Rs. 15,000 more.

MG Hector Plus Diesel prices:

• Style - Rs. 14.90 lakh
  • Super - Rs. 15.70 lakh
  • Smart - Rs. 17.20 lakh
  • Sharp - Rs. 18.69 lakh

A Close Look : MG Hector Plus-2020mghectorplus01.jpg

The MG Hector Plus was launched in July this year. Until now, the SUV was offered at an introductory price. It based on the regular Hector, but comes with 3 rows of seats and captain seats in the second row.

The SUV is available with three engine options. These include a 2.0-litre diesel engine that makes 168 BHP and 350 Nm, which is paired with a 6-speed manual transmission, a 1.5-litre, turbo-petrol engine producing 141 BHP and 250 Nm mated to 6-speed DCT as well as a 1.5-litre mild-hybrid powertrain that is available with a 6-speed manual gearbox.
TusharK is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th September 2020, 08:56   #25
BHPian

Any reason the Mahindra Marazzo was left off of the comparo? (Genuinely asking) As an MUV, i feel it could have been included in it. Or, is it because even though it is priced closely, it caters to a different segment of buyer?
Old 28th October 2020, 20:55   #26
Team-BHP Support

I saw and test drove the car today and I must say i found the Plus quite an attractive proposition for some.

My family has 3 adults (my mum basically) and my 8 yo son but it is very rare that we all (i.e. my mum) travel together with a driver. So the captain's chairs actually are quite a compelling proposition. Its enough seating 90% of the time and if we all do travel together my son can always be plonked in that back seat.

The rear captains chair makes a fantastic option to be chauffeur driven in and the pano sunroof is a sweetener to relax and enjoy.

A strong diesel AT engine is really a big missing link but it is definitely an interesting alternative to the Creta / Seltos petrols. On paper the petrol AT engine seems to have superior figures but not sure how it plays out in real life.

All in all, if I was in the market for a second car in the 20L price range, the Hector plus in petrol AT guise definitely makes it to my list.
Axe77 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 30th October 2020, 19:10   #27
Senior - BHPian

MG Hector Plus Style variant is not on sale due to no demand for it. MG word is that the firm will reintroduce the model if customers ask for the variant. The diesel manual Super trim is now the entry level variant.

https://www.motorbeam.com/mg-hector-...sed-on-demand/

Last edited by Venkatesh : 30th October 2020 at 19:11.
Old 18th December 2020, 13:49   #28
Senior - BHPian

MG Motor India confirms that it will launch the 7-seater version of the Hector Plus in January 2021. 7-seater version will have a bench seat in the middle.

A Close Look : MG Hector Plus-smartselect_20201218134643_chrome.jpg

Source
Old 25th December 2020, 09:02   #29
Senior - BHPian

MG Hector Plus Savvy variant to be launched in India soon.

A Close Look : MG Hector Plus-smartselect_20201225090130_chrome.jpg

It will be positioned above the Sharp variant, this variant features the 4x4 capability and Advance Driver Assistance Systems (ADAS), the latter of which made its debut in the MG Gloster.

Source
Old 25th December 2020, 13:52   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkatesh View Post
MG Hector Plus Savvy variant to be launched in India soon.

Attachment 2097002

It will be positioned above the Sharp variant, this variant features the 4x4 capability and Advance Driver Assistance Systems (ADAS), the latter of which made its debut in the MG Gloster.

Source
If they indeed launch a variant with 4x4 in this segment, that would be a game changer. I am doubtful about this though. Does the Bajoun 530 platform even support 4x4 ? Does a 4x4 version of MG Hector/Captiva/Almaz/Bajoun530 exist in any of the international markets ? This may just be a typical carwale clickbait.

Most Viewed