Team-BHP - The day that cars are banned ?
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   The day that cars are banned ? (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/22733-day-cars-banned.html)

While people are talking about conserving fuel,natural resources and looking at ways to tackle it there is another problem.

A sad but possible condition is that we will have certain streets/areas in our cities that will not allow any more private vehicles because the streets can take no more[or even ban private vehicles altogether].Everyday number of vehicles on the road is just rising exponentially whereas there is hardly any infrastructure development or if at all there is any it is moving along at a snail's pace.

A good public transport system can help,but still that too has its limitations.Anyway with our politicians,bureaucracy can we expect such miracles.They seem to be of the opinion that just increasing parking charges will help solve the problem.But apart from filling a few pockets it does not seem a very bright idea.Flyovers are just a short term solution.Wonder how much of a success the metro rail system would be?

So is there anything else that can be done or should we make hay while the sun shines.

It has to be a combination of strong infrastructure development and public transport.

Delhi is a perfect example.... we have too many cars - big wide roads... metro rail is coming up ... but still traffic is a mess. Parking is a big problem even when the MCD is charging hourly.

I don't think there is any short cut to the parking problem.. they need to build multi storied parkings... and give them off at reasonable rates. (otherwise they go vacant all throughout)

I think Delhi is one city where the infrastructure developers are at least doing something. but again not fast enough.... and probably its not even possible to match the pace of increasing traffic.

Public transport is the only way out.... people don't drive to office for fun.... they do b'coz despite the traffic jams and the driving tension its better than using the public transport. The bloody population is so much that people don't get to sit when using the public transport.

When we talk of actually reducing cars from the road then the metro is the solution IF it can be more than just an air-conditioned local bus.

Anyways in Delhi's case there is a quick fix.... its called traffic management. If they take care of the following things (just for example) most of the traffic problems can be over come.... If only the above are taken care of.... I'll reach office in half time.

Forget the city roads even our highways are not able to keep up with the influx of vehicles,fortunately however in case of our highways the central government did realize the problems and atleast some initiative is being taken.

But with regards to city roads everybody just keeps passing the buck,the local corporation blames the state ,the state government blames the central government,and the central government blames the state and so on.

Would things get better if we had a central authority to look after our city roads,something like the National Highways Authority of India[NHAI].

Delhi seems to be getting attention from the central government too and that explains the better condition there compared to the other cities.

Zermatt in Switzerland is following the car-less mantra from kingdom come without any problem or pollution.
Zermatt is a town situated at the foot of the famous Matterhorn mountains in Switzerland and is a wonderful green world without cars. Electric-cars and horse-drawn sleighs and carriages are the only mode transport allowed in this town.
Why, even our own Matheran is an example. Maybe in every city there should be a pre designated pedestrian plaza which should be car and even bicycle or skates free

Quote:

Maybe in every city there should be a pre designated pedestrian plaza which should be car and even bicycle or skates free
In pune we do have one such place,On sundays vehicles are not allowed on MG Road and it is converted into a walking plaza[please correct me if I am wrong pune members]

One main issue is parking. Govt has to implement Parking under some pvt partnership.
Another issue I see is that most of the cars driven by chauffers are parked under no parking zone or in extremely obstructing areas. Atleast the owners should have some sense in asking where their cars should be parked.

These days, quite a few of the roads have improved in Bangalore, the situation still remains the same because the width of the roads in which one can drive is very narrow. Most of them used by parking/autos/buses etc....

Like others said, quite a few problems can be solved by implementing certain strict regulations.

There is a plan to put toll on vehicles entering the city center ( like London)....lets see where we are heading !!

All I can say is I'll start walking!

Like the toll fee for expressways, the city administration may soon start collecting hefty toll fee for entry into the city roads.

The benefits ...
1. This will indirectly encourage the people to use the public transport system, which need to be improved to meet the demands.

2. The increased revenue due to the toll may be used to further improve the infrastructure.

Quote:

The increased revenue due to the toll may be used to further improve the infrastructure.
Nothings gonna happen. Politicians and ministers will just eat them up. Remember by just calculating the current toll rates and by estimating the number of cars paying toll through the same route i can say that not all money is being implemented and a proper example is out Vashi Toll Naka which charges Rs. 25/- and look at the road conditions.

if only we had....
1.reliable and safe public transport
2.good conduct and civic sense amongst people
3.regulation of new vehicle registrations
4.multi level parkings
5.disciplined drivers
6.mandatory three lane roads
7.de-centralization of metros

....but then some pipe dreams just remain.

Quote:

Originally Posted by rahul_intlad (Post 402924)
In pune we do have one such place,On sundays vehicles are not allowed on MG Road and it is converted into a walking plaza[please correct me if I am wrong pune members]

yes , you got that right rahul ... really does wonders to the place ... its a mess on weekdays

Quote:

Originally Posted by rahul_intlad (Post 402597)
Everyday number of vehicles on the road is just rising exponentially whereas there is hardly any infrastructure development or if at all there is any it is moving along at a snail's pace.

couldn't agree with you more ... especially pune ... its really really sad ... Something really needs to be one about those potholes infested roads .Public transport is bad ... and sub-standard ... Traffic conjestion is so high (esp no of bikes) that the increased risk to life and limb in everyday life is astonishing ..

Quote:

Originally Posted by rahul_intlad (Post 402924)

The Bangalore Traffic Police experimented with this a while back - Saturday and Sunday evenings, Brigade road was pedestrian-only. Seemed like a good idea given the anarchy that usually descends every weekend. Not sure why they discontinued it though.

Not exactly a ban but think BBMP/BMRDA [bangalore] is planning on introducing a congestion charge for vehicles which enter main roads during peak hours [just like the london model].Also parking charges would be increased on these roads[don't exactly have an idea which roads or the charges]

Similarly mumbai,new delhi too could implement the scheme suggested by The Government Of India.

My suggestion to the authorities is please try not using your official vehicles so much first.Set an example for us to follow come to work by Bus atleast.

if only we had....
1.reliable and safe public transport
2.good conduct and civic sense amongst people
3.regulation of new vehicle registrations
4.multi level parkings
5.disciplined drivers
6.mandatory three lane roads
7.de-centralization of metros

....but then some pipe dreams just remain.

If we can have these, I don't think we need anything else.