Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th April 2007, 12:40   #1
Senior - BHPian

Question to the ad guys - "Comparative" advertising ?

We have a lot of cases where manufacturers compare their products to those of the competition. Case in point being the Hyundai ad campaigns targeting Maruti etc. My question is how exactly are the ads for these campaigns designed? The manufacturer gives the brief and the agency executes. That should be logical. But is there a case for the agency to go out of its way and get performance parameters and compare products?
Old 4th April 2007, 13:20   #2
Senior - BHPian

Hi TypO, I don't think they do anything more than comparing the broucheres...(its given at the bottom of the ad)
Old 4th April 2007, 17:15   #3
Senior - BHPian

Yeah. But who decides which car to compare against which? For example, lets say you are Hyundai. You have the specs for the Esteem and the Baleno. Who decides which car the Verna, for instance goes against?
Old 4th April 2007, 17:21   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by typeOnegative View Post
Yeah. But who decides which car to compare against which? For example, lets say you are Hyundai. You have the specs for the Esteem and the Baleno. Who decides which car the Verna, for instance goes against?

i think when a manufacturere want to compare his car with a competitors in terms of specs, the pricing would be the deciding factor...

That is he would like to say " YOu pay the same, or almost the same for my car as well as the competitions, but with mine you also get so and so benifit.."

So in the example youve asked about, if you HAd to choose between the Esteem and the Baleno as a comparison witht he Verna, they would choose to compare against the baleno (Isn't the Baleno a lot cheaper though??)

Suhail
Old 4th April 2007, 18:35   #5
BHPian

Quote:
We have a lot of cases where manufacturers compare their products to those of the competition. Case in point being the Hyundai ad campaigns targeting Maruti etc. My question is how exactly are the ads for these campaigns designed? The manufacturer gives the brief and the agency executes. That should be logical. But is there a case for the agency to go out of its way and get performance parameters and compare products?
Hey TypeO,

A lot of work and follow ups are required in terms of deciding , making and executing an Ad campaign for the Automobile manufacturers, or i should say for all the Clients.

Generally the homework is done by the manufacturer in terms of providing the sufficient information to the agency for the creatives. Like specs of the car, performance, comparison etc etc. Then a creative team from the manufacturers and the agency decide upon the tag lines for the campaign to promote the product.

A set of images and taglines and required information is then passed on to the desgin team for the execution, until the final Ad is ready (for Print media). The ad is then sent to the creative team of both the client and the agency to review for the necessary changes. During the making of the ad it is expected that a member of the creative team is rattling his brains too during the designing, and giving feedbacks.

After Effects: if the ad is not upto the mark according to the client then it goes for a toss in other words new design to be layed out by the designer so there is more work on the same.If approved then, as usual, printed in Magazines and news papers and hoardings, again with the help of the media planner and media buyer. Different creatives are made for different mode of advertising( Monthly Magazines, news paper, hoardings) to get the maximum mileage and reach. At times its just one creative used for all the means to get it registered in the buyers head.

Coming Back to your Question type0? Now if the creative team or the design team (agency) is really a big car enthusiast he will definately do his homework to give his best shot. (i am sure he will also be on TEAM-BHP ) . Usualy the agency guys and the design team do their set of work in terms of comparison and performance parameters in order to service the client at its best, and come up with more innovative and catchy creatives, to keep the client tied to them. If not upto the mark then the client starts looking for a different agency in terms of creatives. Again its one big sea where the best of creatives by different agencies are presented to the client so that they vouch for their agency.

I hope this answers your question, I am not really good at it but did try to answer your question according to my opinion towards it. Please correct me if i am wrong at any statement or information that i have provided, i would love to learn more on advertising and how it works, so any information would be more than just a Help. Afterall everybody is learning.

PS: I am not an from any Agency or a creative team.
Old 6th April 2007, 08:40   #6
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
My question is how exactly are the ads for these campaigns designed? The manufacturer gives the brief and the agency executes. That should be logical.
It is logical. Manufacturer (read client) gives a brief to the agency. Agency develops a brief based on manufacturer’s brief for it’s creative team. In the case of comparative advertising, one element is given, that’s that comparison chart.

These are generally small ads (60 to 100cc). CC here is column centimeter and not Cubic Capacity. Cost of these ads are often shared by the manufacturer and dealers.
These ads happen due to two factors:
A. Dealers having stock and it’s not moving.
B. Competition’s car is selling better.

Comparison is always between two cars within the same price bracket (+/-). You will never see any comparative ad on 7 lakh-17lakh range.
Quote:
But is there a case for the agency to go out of its way and get performance parameters and compare products?
Not for ads like these, but often for new product launch. This is more to experience the car and give a creative expression.
Quote:
Originally Posted by amtak
Hi TypO, I don't think they do anything more than comparing the broucheres...(its given at the bottom of the ad)
They don’t compare brochures unless they’re told to. Comparison chart comes from client. It’s safe for both the sides.
Quote:
Originally Posted by typeOnegative
As I mentioned before, it will be only within the same price range.
Quote:
Originally Posted by swale84
i think when a manufacturere want to compare his car with a competitors in terms of specs, the pricing would be the deciding factor...
That is he would like to say " YOu pay the same, or almost the same for my car as well as the competitions, but with mine you also get so and so benifit.."
You’re right. That’s the whole idea or desired response they’re looking for.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SohailPistawala
Generally the homework is done by the manufacturer in terms of providing the sufficient information to the agency for the creatives. Like specs of the car, performance, comparison etc etc.
Correct.
Quote:
Then a creative team from the manufacturers and the agency decide upon the tag lines for the campaign to promote the product.
There’s no creative team from the manufacturer and there’s no tag line in isolation. Tag line is part of the whole concept. An ad carries few more elements apart from tag line.
Quote:
A set of images and taglines and required information is then passed on to the desgin team for the execution, until the final Ad is ready (for Print media). The ad is then sent to the creative team of both the client and the agency to review for the necessary changes. During the making of the ad it is expected that a member of the creative team is rattling his brains too during the designing, and giving feedbacks.

After Effects: if the ad is not upto the mark according to the client then it goes for a toss in other words new design to be layed out by the designer so there is more work on the same.If approved then, as usual, printed in Magazines and news papers and hoardings, again with the help of the media planner and media buyer. Different creatives are made for different mode of advertising(Monthly Magazines, news paper, hoardings) to get the maximum mileage and reach. At times its just one creative used for all the means to get it registered in the buyers head.
Once the campaign is ready, (in form known as layout) agency/ manufacturer meeting (presentation) takes place. There could be different set of the same campaign having different expressions (known as routes). This is to check which expression works better. After manufacturer (client) agrees on creative and route/s, it may go for research amongst potential buyers. This happens during a new product launch and such. Not to check efficacy for comparative ads.
Quote:
Coming Back to your Question type0? Now if the creative team or the design team (agency) is really a big car enthusiast he will definately do his homework to give his best shot. (i am sure he will also be on TEAM-BHP). Usualy the agency guys and the design team do their set of work in terms of comparison and performance parameters in order to service the client at its best, and come up with more innovative and catchy creatives, to keep the client tied to them.
In today’s context an agency is the brand custodian. They’re the part of client’s marketing team. Agency has to track the market in terms of sales/competition/trend. Give continues feedback to client and be ready to tackle every probable situation. Otherwise…
Quote:
If not upto the mark then the client starts looking for a different agency in terms of creatives. Again its one big sea where the best of creatives by different agencies are presented to the client so that they vouch for their agency.
..There you go.
Old 6th April 2007, 09:55   #7
Senior - BHPian

Thanks all. Sorry I could not post earlier as I was traveling. I have learned a lot from this. Have some more doubts buzzing around in my head. Will get them on post soon.
Old 6th April 2007, 16:31   #8
BHPian

Hey Rudra thank you very much for clearing the doubts too, i too had a lot of things clear in terms of agency and client relation towards building the campaign.

Hey TypeO anytime dude, will love to answer more questions for the same.

Thanx once again for the thorough explanation Rudra

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks