Team-BHP - Would you daily-drive an unconventional car like the Thar / V-Cross / Gurkha?
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   Would you daily-drive an unconventional car like the Thar / V-Cross / Gurkha? (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/229076-would-you-daily-drive-unconventional-car-like-thar-v-cross-gurkha-4.html)

I would totally daily-drive an unconventional car, especially the Mahindra Thar!

My first daily-drive car was an MM540 4x4 with a trusty Peugeot mill. That jeep used to be my grandpa's estate truck until he sold the estate off and the vehicle was just standing around. So I got to use it for close to a year to commute to ... college!!! :)

Would you daily-drive an unconventional car like the Thar / V-Cross / Gurkha?-good_cond_4wd_mm_540_for_sale_7600131421809889647.jpg
Image for representation purposes only. Ours was a 1991 model in a lighter shade of blue with an older lights setup.

The jeep was sold off to make space for a family sedan, and I was given a Kinetic Honda to commute. What a downgrade in retrospect! :Frustrati

Daily-driving an unconventional car is not a problem. The problem is when the unconventional car cannot be your all-purpose primary car, due to cash limitations or space limitations or both. That said, I am looking to get myself a Thar 2020 with a hardtop once the "Beta testing" phase is done.

Well, YES you can always use it as a daily driver - BUT - You should be having a second proper car in the Garage.

Voted a resounding yes. Mainly because, this is my current daily driver:

Would you daily-drive an unconventional car like the Thar / V-Cross / Gurkha?-vcross.jpg

Quote:

Originally Posted by blackwasp (Post 4923008)
there are some enthusiasts who daily drive the Isuzu V-Cross. The truck is MASSIVE in size, which gives it incredible street presence. The size could also make it cumbersome to drive & park. One must remember that carrying luggage in this truck is a problem as it has an open loading bay and not a boot. Do invest in a lockable lid for the loading bay. And you'll have to contend with neighbours thinking you've entered the construction / delivery business.

Honestly, I think this vehicle as easy to drive and park as any other as long as there is enough space. You're spot on with having a lockable storage option. There are many available. From tri-fold covers all the way upto full size canopies like what I have.

As for the construction, delivery business. My neighbours are convinced I'm with the mafia. :uncontrol

Voted No.

Small is beautiful for city commutes.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tassem (Post 4923606)
....Mainly because, this is my current daily driver:

IIRC , Seen your vehicle near MG Road junction. I was wondering who would even think of riding such a beast. :thumbs up

Voted No.

As a part of the community where I owned a 1982 Mercedes W123 for few years and currently a V-cross, I would not have them as my daily drive.

For old classic cars I would hate if a tail light or side mirror is broken during unruly city commutes or if hubcaps are stolen. Its a pain to source them.

For cars like V-cross its a truck (HUGE) although it does more kms compared to my other city car, it can never be my daily commute. V-cross is strictly for highway drives and weekend adventures.

A Thar as a replacement for my city commute is not possible due to 2 doors and school duty.

Regarding performance cars like Ferrari, have never had one so cannot comment.

Voted YES. In this scenario its a typical case of heart winning over mind. I'll put it this way. I get bored of wearing formals to work everyday. So on Friday's I sneak into my Jeans and T's and Canvas Shoes. The Thar would complete the drive to work. Carefree Attitude!

I voted yes and instantly regretted. :-)

Having driven a jeep 4x4 for good part of the decade in snowy parts of the US, I know these *can* be daily commute vehicles. Buying a new bookshelf at IKEA on the way home? done! A foot of snow? no need to shovel! Drive to a campsite on gravel? Done!

Bangalore, however is a different beast.
1. I cannot make U turns in a V Cross
2. I cannot clear speed bumps in a low slung sports car.
3. I cannot leave the top open in a convertible

The Thar seems to address all of these concerns. Or not. It cannot seat 4 persons comfortably. It cannot carry a bicycle or bunch of potted plants, bookshelf.
My ideal car would be a V Cross with that is bit shorter and with a shorter turning radius/more driver assist.

Voted YES. In this scenario its a typical case of heart winning over mind. I'll put it this way. I get bored of wearing formals to work everyday. So on Friday's I sneak into my Jeans and T's and Canvas Shoes. The Thar would complete the drive to work. Carefree Attitude!

Voted No

I prefer comfort and being juggled around 100% of the time is not something I intend to do. Vcross maybe still fine, but definitely not a Thar or Gurkha. These are good as a second or preferably 3rd or 4th car in the house, but primary daily driver, absolutely NO.

Also as a long distance tourer, reaching the destination is equally important for me than what the car is capable of after I have reached there. No use reaching the destination tires and in pain. 99% of the time the car will be on the road. Last year when I was in the market for a 4WD so that I can go to places where a 2WD cant or will struggle, I considered all of them. But the on-road manners were a put off. Thar was torture for me. Great for novelty factor or show off for some, but practicality near zero as a daily runner in my opinion. Hence bought one of the last remaining Duster 4WD RXZs since the new one was already out with less features.

Voted Yes! I`m done with driving boring vehicles.

It is \ was my daily drive when office was open. No Stereo, soft top - Its just you and the Jeep...and all the traffic noise around you while you make your way through all the important landmarks in Bangalore to reach workplace.

That ~50km round trip everyday was therapeutic, waiting for office to open.

Yes!
Honestly with the basic safety kit in place, AC & power steering - I can live with the Thar as a daily driver more than I can with my lowered 3 series stupid:

Most of the driving is with 2 people on board - 3rd is generally the driver if he's there in which case I'd choose something more comfortable and park myself in the back.

My commute won't see me going above 80-100kmph so high speed manners, or rather lack off can be lived with.

As for ride quality - It is liveable if I am driving, but not sure if as a passenger I would say the same. But then again this is a daily driver thread and not a daily rider thread.

That being said, while it can be a daily driver, it cannot be the only car in the garage - I want something more powerful for fun drives and something a little more accomodating for a family / chauffeur driven duties.

I would be interested to see the age group behind this poll.
IMO once the initial excitement dies these cars become can become a chore as daily driver, unless your parking is sorted.

My answer is a "YES" only for THAR Automatic ( Provided my company pays for fuel stupid: )

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tassem (Post 4923606)
Voted a resounding yes. Mainly because, this is my current daily

That's a monster truck. Can you share more photos for our viewing pleasure ?

Votes Yes, have driven Safari from 2011 as a daily drive till I got Endeavour. I assume the new Thar and other mentioned cars will fare much better than the Dicor specially in automatic avatar.

Yes, I do, have been driving a v cross for 3+ years, have other cars in my garage ( Passat, Polo GTI) but the Isuzu is my daily and most used, for the reason other road users don’t bully us and acceptable comfort