Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Is it your cup of tea?
Yes 281 58.18%
No 202 41.82%
Voters: 483. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 4th November 2020, 10:26   #46
BHPian

Re: Would you daily-drive an unconventional car like the Thar / V-Cross / Gurkha?

I would totally daily-drive an unconventional car, especially the Mahindra Thar!

My first daily-drive car was an MM540 4x4 with a trusty Peugeot mill. That jeep used to be my grandpa's estate truck until he sold the estate off and the vehicle was just standing around. So I got to use it for close to a year to commute to ... college!!!

Would you daily-drive an unconventional car like the Thar / V-Cross / Gurkha?-good_cond_4wd_mm_540_for_sale_7600131421809889647.jpg
Image for representation purposes only. Ours was a 1991 model in a lighter shade of blue with an older lights setup.

The jeep was sold off to make space for a family sedan, and I was given a Kinetic Honda to commute. What a downgrade in retrospect!

Daily-driving an unconventional car is not a problem. The problem is when the unconventional car cannot be your all-purpose primary car, due to cash limitations or space limitations or both. That said, I am looking to get myself a Thar 2020 with a hardtop once the "Beta testing" phase is done.

Last edited by Miel : 4th November 2020 at 10:26. Reason: Grammar error
Miel is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 4th November 2020, 10:37   #47
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Would you daily-drive an unconventional car like the Thar / V-Cross / Gurkha?

Well, YES you can always use it as a daily driver - BUT - You should be having a second proper car in the Garage.
dhanushs is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th November 2020, 11:05   #48
BHPian

Voted a resounding yes. Mainly because, this is my current daily driver:

Would you daily-drive an unconventional car like the Thar / V-Cross / Gurkha?-vcross.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwasp View Post
there are some enthusiasts who daily drive the Isuzu V-Cross. The truck is MASSIVE in size, which gives it incredible street presence. The size could also make it cumbersome to drive & park. One must remember that carrying luggage in this truck is a problem as it has an open loading bay and not a boot. Do invest in a lockable lid for the loading bay. And you'll have to contend with neighbours thinking you've entered the construction / delivery business.
Honestly, I think this vehicle as easy to drive and park as any other as long as there is enough space. You're spot on with having a lockable storage option. There are many available. From tri-fold covers all the way upto full size canopies like what I have.

As for the construction, delivery business. My neighbours are convinced I'm with the mafia.
Tassem is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 4th November 2020, 11:17   #49
BHPian

Voted No.

Small is beautiful for city commutes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tassem View Post
....Mainly because, this is my current daily driver:
IIRC , Seen your vehicle near MG Road junction. I was wondering who would even think of riding such a beast.
srini1785 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th November 2020, 11:40   #50
BHPian

Voted No.

As a part of the community where I owned a 1982 Mercedes W123 for few years and currently a V-cross, I would not have them as my daily drive.

For old classic cars I would hate if a tail light or side mirror is broken during unruly city commutes or if hubcaps are stolen. Its a pain to source them.

For cars like V-cross its a truck (HUGE) although it does more kms compared to my other city car, it can never be my daily commute. V-cross is strictly for highway drives and weekend adventures.

A Thar as a replacement for my city commute is not possible due to 2 doors and school duty.

Regarding performance cars like Ferrari, have never had one so cannot comment.
tazmaan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th November 2020, 12:16   #51
BHPian

Voted YES. In this scenario its a typical case of heart winning over mind. I'll put it this way. I get bored of wearing formals to work everyday. So on Friday's I sneak into my Jeans and T's and Canvas Shoes. The Thar would complete the drive to work. Carefree Attitude!
Old 4th November 2020, 12:20   #52
BHPian

I voted yes and instantly regretted. :-)

Having driven a jeep 4x4 for good part of the decade in snowy parts of the US, I know these *can* be daily commute vehicles. Buying a new bookshelf at IKEA on the way home? done! A foot of snow? no need to shovel! Drive to a campsite on gravel? Done!

Bangalore, however is a different beast.
1. I cannot make U turns in a V Cross
2. I cannot clear speed bumps in a low slung sports car.
3. I cannot leave the top open in a convertible

The Thar seems to address all of these concerns. Or not. It cannot seat 4 persons comfortably. It cannot carry a bicycle or bunch of potted plants, bookshelf.
My ideal car would be a V Cross with that is bit shorter and with a shorter turning radius/more driver assist.
sramanat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th November 2020, 12:24   #53
BHPian

Voted YES. In this scenario its a typical case of heart winning over mind. I'll put it this way. I get bored of wearing formals to work everyday. So on Friday's I sneak into my Jeans and T's and Canvas Shoes. The Thar would complete the drive to work. Carefree Attitude!
Old 4th November 2020, 12:40   #54
Senior - BHPian

Voted No

I prefer comfort and being juggled around 100% of the time is not something I intend to do. Vcross maybe still fine, but definitely not a Thar or Gurkha. These are good as a second or preferably 3rd or 4th car in the house, but primary daily driver, absolutely NO.

Also as a long distance tourer, reaching the destination is equally important for me than what the car is capable of after I have reached there. No use reaching the destination tires and in pain. 99% of the time the car will be on the road. Last year when I was in the market for a 4WD so that I can go to places where a 2WD cant or will struggle, I considered all of them. But the on-road manners were a put off. Thar was torture for me. Great for novelty factor or show off for some, but practicality near zero as a daily runner in my opinion. Hence bought one of the last remaining Duster 4WD RXZs since the new one was already out with less features.
Altocumulus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th November 2020, 13:37   #55
Distinguished - BHPian

Voted Yes! I`m done with driving boring vehicles.

It is \ was my daily drive when office was open. No Stereo, soft top - Its just you and the Jeep...and all the traffic noise around you while you make your way through all the important landmarks in Bangalore to reach workplace.

That ~50km round trip everyday was therapeutic, waiting for office to open.
Kosfactor is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 4th November 2020, 13:41   #56
Distinguished - BHPian

Yes!
Honestly with the basic safety kit in place, AC & power steering - I can live with the Thar as a daily driver more than I can with my lowered 3 series

Most of the driving is with 2 people on board - 3rd is generally the driver if he's there in which case I'd choose something more comfortable and park myself in the back.

My commute won't see me going above 80-100kmph so high speed manners, or rather lack off can be lived with.

As for ride quality - It is liveable if I am driving, but not sure if as a passenger I would say the same. But then again this is a daily driver thread and not a daily rider thread.

That being said, while it can be a daily driver, it cannot be the only car in the garage - I want something more powerful for fun drives and something a little more accomodating for a family / chauffeur driven duties.
lamborghini is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th November 2020, 13:57   #57
Senior - BHPian

I would be interested to see the age group behind this poll.
IMO once the initial excitement dies these cars become can become a chore as daily driver, unless your parking is sorted.

My answer is a "YES" only for THAR Automatic ( Provided my company pays for fuel )
silverado is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th November 2020, 20:58   #58
KPR
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tassem View Post
Voted a resounding yes. Mainly because, this is my current daily
That's a monster truck. Can you share more photos for our viewing pleasure ?
Old 4th November 2020, 22:05   #59
BHPian

Votes Yes, have driven Safari from 2011 as a daily drive till I got Endeavour. I assume the new Thar and other mentioned cars will fare much better than the Dicor specially in automatic avatar.
roby_dk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th November 2020, 10:33   #60

Yes, I do, have been driving a v cross for 3+ years, have other cars in my garage ( Passat, Polo GTI) but the Isuzu is my daily and most used, for the reason other road users don’t bully us and acceptable comfort

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks