Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Is it your cup of tea?
Yes 281 58.18%
No 202 41.82%
Voters: 483. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 3rd November 2020, 21:41   #31
BHPian

Re: Would you daily-drive an unconventional car like the Thar / V-Cross / Gurkha?

Voted No.
I dont see myself doing daily commute in any of the mentioned vehicles. I do have huge admiration for the new THAR though, I might rent one while on vacation as well.
Old 3rd November 2020, 22:04   #32
BHPian

Re: Would you daily-drive an unconventional car like the Thar / V-Cross / Gurkha?

Been there done that, few years ago when last Gen DMX was launched, I used it as my daily driver for few months, but definitely it wasn't an easy life. I could recognize every bump and imperfections in roads in my area. though at the same time i enjoyed it lot on smoother roads (I was doing Delhi Agra expressway on daily basis those days and this was my vehicle of choice). But as others said it would be hard to live as ONLY daily driver. But a daily driver on a smooth road, and on a usual Gurgaon road are two totally different things.
Old 3rd November 2020, 22:47   #33
BANNED

I have driven a 99 Zen without power steering with 99's refinement levels extensively till 2017 (for 18 years). You can call it unconventional for 2017. Since 2017, been driving a 5m long Endeavour in Gurgaon on daily basis. So, as long a you love cars, who cares whether it conventional or unconventional.
chaudh2s is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2020, 23:30   #34
BHPian

No (to Thar, V-Cross, Gurkha) because I live in Delhi, where the roads are generally good and well suited to cars that perform well on asphalt. If on the other hand the unconventional car is a 2 door sports car or a luxury 4x4 that actually rides well on the road (G Wagon etc.), sure why not.
Old 3rd November 2020, 23:33   #35
Senior - BHPian

Assuming this thread is about daily driver and not about only car in the house - I'd ask why not? The Thar will do just fine for solo commute in cities. There are a few members for whom the 'commute' means frequent intercity travel where the Thar may not be suitable.

Advantages of the Thar:
1. Can easily tackle bad roads & little bit of water logging thanks to the extra GC
2. Right of way guaranteed in the Indian context
3. Great visibility due to high seating
4. Easy parking due to small footprint
5. Automatic transmission options

Disadvantages of the Thar:
1. Big car fuel efficiency despite small car footprint (FE will be comparable to Crysta/Fortuner)
2. Can't be used for carpooling/group outings
3. Bumpy ride may not be accepted by some (a compromise to live with)
4. Vandalism - expect missing lights/badges if you park on the street (mischievous kids/opportunists)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaudh2s View Post
I have driven a 99 Zen without power steering with 99's refinement levels extensively till 2017 (for 18 years)
ZEN=Zero Engine Noise was the marketing speak of some Maruti showrooms back then

Last edited by landcruiser123 : 3rd November 2020 at 23:34.
landcruiser123 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2020, 23:38   #36
BHPian

Voted a big 'YES'

I always like to be different from the regular car commuters. IMHO if the vehicles offer practicality and purpose why not use them as your daily drive
Old 4th November 2020, 00:07   #37
BHPian

While my current answer is No, my real answer would depend heavily on the city I live in. Where I live now, I doubt anyone can daily drive something other than a small hatchback. In my hometown, the best car you can drive is Alto.

The city I've lived most of my life in is a place where I can daily drive an Isuzu truck and would have no qualms with doing it, if I can afford it. So it all depends on the space available on the roads.
Old 4th November 2020, 00:57   #38
BHPian

My daily drive - Yes.
Only car in the garage - No

If I had to limit myself to one car - i'd have to pick one that accommodates at least 4 adults (including 2 senior citizens). Most of the cars on this list don't meet that criteria.

Regards
M
Mar21 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th November 2020, 02:27   #39
BHPian

Many of us have drifted from "Unconventional" to "Offroad vehicals (Thar/Gurkha)".

An unconventional vehicle might be a Lamborghini as well.

From a practical stand point, I believe it has more to do with where you reside and the geographical conditions around.

For example

1 . Remote place with non-existant roads - Yes I would love to drive around in Thar/Gurkha. A humble hatchback or sedan will not be as practical as a Thar, especially during rains/snow and slushy conditions.

2 . Metro City (eg : Mumbai/Pune etc) - Prefer to sit back in my small Hatch which will let me fit in the crowded parking lot and markets at ease.
Swift/I10/ Baleno - Yes Please.
Thar/Lamborghini/Ferrari - No Sire!

3 . Some European Country Side - Dammi le chiavi della mia Ferrari... (Give me the keys to my Ferrari)

Well I reside in Mumbai, so if the question was - Can You? Yes I can, but its Would You? No, I would not.
iamahunter is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 4th November 2020, 07:53   #40
BHPian

Voted Yes!

Have driven the Scorpio for 79k kms, Endeavour for 57k kms and both of them still going strong.

Usage of both of these have reduced in the last year since I picked up the Z900. It has been my daily driver since the day I took delivery on the 17th of October, 2019, and as of Sunday, I have gone past the 10k kms mark.

The trucks only get taken out if I am travelling with family or on work related travel that involves transporting more than one person or equipment.

My 2 cents.
krishsreedharan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th November 2020, 09:25   #41
BHPian

Quite frankly, I was skeptical about the idea. The Thar for example, was too bare bones and agricultural to drive on a daily basis. The soft top would also flap like crazy if you increase speeds. As for the V Cross, it has huge road presence but its just too massive to drive and park in the congested roads of cities like Bangalore. However, I've seen a few enthusiasts still driving these machines on a daily basis. I used to see a couple of Thars and V Crosses in my office parking lot regularly.

But the new Thar has tipped the scales big time. Its evolved in many aspects and I do not foresee making many compromises if I have to drive one on a daily basis. Its good enough for small families or for single use like bachelors. Not practical if you have elderly at home, in which case it can't be the only car.
anshu1101 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th November 2020, 09:47   #42
Senior - BHPian

Definitely Yes
Although I do not stay in India anymore, I have retained these two in my Garage since 2016 (That is when i moved to Melbourne).
I am currently in India, and these are my daily drives
Attached Thumbnails
Would you daily-drive an unconventional car like the Thar / V-Cross / Gurkha?-42368345_1474664445967345_5192107361937915904_o.jpg  

akshay4587 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 4th November 2020, 09:56   #43
BHPian

I voted yes.

I used to own a Thar DI earlier and loved driving it daily.
Just that my frequent intercity runs made me part with it and go for the Ciaz.
Had my need been only city driving, I would definitely go for an unconventional car with character.
jassi_jeeper is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th November 2020, 10:01   #44
BHPian

Voted Yes.

I drove a Mahindra Classic for nearly 8 years as my only drive and the one word to describe that is, "It is Fun". M&M Classic was a very bare bone vehicle when compared to the new generation of similar vehicles. I believe unless you have a personal bonding with the vehicle you cannot use it as a daily driver!!
Old 4th November 2020, 10:12   #45
BHPian

Thar, Gurkha- yes, liveable cars even with the soft top. In fact, few years back used to move around in a Thar for city use. I found it brilliant to drive as none of the rixa drivers used to come close to the car.

V Cross- NO that's too big for daily use

If I ever own a Porsche, yes provided I am confident of finding safe parking.
If it's SL - NO too rare to drop it off somewhere without attracting malicious attention

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks