Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Is it your cup of tea?
Yes 281 58.18%
No 202 41.82%
Voters: 483. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 3rd November 2020, 16:21   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Would you daily-drive an unconventional car like the Thar / V-Cross / Gurkha?

Been there, Done that, Will Do again.

Owned the Gurkha (old model) for many years.

Then moved to sedate vehicles for a while because I promised myself not to buy a Diesel.

Will pick up the Thar Petrol next year or the Jimny if it at all arrives by then.

Won't even consider the V-Cross though, inspite of the excellent vehicle that it is, because of it's unwieldy dimensions for the city or narrow trails!

Last edited by roy_libran : 3rd November 2020 at 16:49.
roy_libran is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2020, 16:36   #17
BHPian

Re: Would you daily-drive an unconventional car like the Thar / V-Cross / Gurkha?

Yes.

Caveat:
I still find my i20 more comfortable to drive vs. the 2019 Creta I have. Somehow these high perched cars cause a back ache. I had driven a Thar for 5-7 mins (test drive from a fellow member here), and it was a fun ride. One is so high, but the jerks and bumps transfer straight 'up' if you know what I mean.

Am not a gizmo freak, and I find this new age gadgetry quite distracting inside the car cabin. Though going daily to office in a 4x4 would be such a thrill. Closest one can get to: mounting a stallion, grabbing a jousting pole, and lowering the visor.

We ride to victory!
Old 3rd November 2020, 17:31   #18
Senior - BHPian

With due respect, the fundamental premise of the thread is flawed as seen by the YES responses.
This is like shooting fish in a barrel - take India's most enthusiastic community and ask them if some of them would take minor pains for a car they bought out of LOVE! People do so much for love - whether it is spouse, canine, feline, automotive, coffee, artistic etc! The etymological roots of the word love refer to sacrifice!

How hard is it to commute in a slightly painful car? Not as much frankly

Of course, you will get yes-es all around mostly!

On a side perspective - if you take along enough tenure - even the Thar of 2020 is as comfortable as cars of early 2000s. Ditto V-cross. Pain to park but once you reconcile that - it is just another SUV / innova like LONG vehicle (as my neighbor who owns it says).
phamilyman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2020, 17:38   #19
Senior - BHPian

Voted "Yes"
For I loved the Jeep Wrangler on road & if there's something like LWB-4Door That or Gurkha (with palatable interiors & nearby service center) I would rush to buy one for daily runs. It helps as I have 2 cars & 4 cars covered parking.
Old 3rd November 2020, 18:57   #20
Senior - BHPian

Voted No.
These are lifestyle vehicles (at least the Thar is) and not meant to be daily driven. The Thar is made for off-roading so it is best to leave it do what it does best ie climb, crawl, careen on unpaved paths. Yup one could live with them if one were to be crazy about them to own just one set off wheels but I am sure the Thar would be most people's second car.
Old 3rd November 2020, 18:58   #21
BHPian

Yes!!!

(I've surprised myself here because I always thought I'd vote No!)

I currently drive an Estilo or an Aria. The new Thar in its Diesel AT hardtop avatar can easily work as well as the Estilo when I am driving alone (which is most of the time, post COVID) or have at best one co passenger. For a full family outing it will be the Aria.

The Thar's driving position is awesome, and it's leaps and bounds ahead of the old Thar in fit and finish and interior comfort. I'll wait for a pre-owned one though.
Old 3rd November 2020, 19:05   #22
Team-BHP Support

Would you daily drive a Thar/DMax? Simple question. Answer would be yes. That's an easy question IMHO. I don't see why an enthusiast wouldn't!

Would it be your only drive and daily? That's where most of us get stuck.

Owning two or three additional cars in the garage and using the Thar or DMax as a daily isn't a big deal at all, especially for enthusiasts. It is still the second or third car of your garage! BUT - As an only car and forced to use as a daily - now that's a totally different ballgame.

Taking the DMax to congested city streets or tight mall parking lots, taking the Thar soft top to crime infested streets or for taking your ageing parents to hospital? Now that's a real daily! Would it be your cup of tea?

As much as I would like to vote 'yes' here - I fall in the latter category, and it still doesn't make sense as a daily and only car.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 3rd November 2020 at 19:09.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2020, 19:23   #23
Senior - BHPian

One of the few threads in which I have voted with the confidence that my answer won't change in the future

Voted No. When my daily driving does not demand anything that these vehicles are capable of off-road, I guess it would be insane of me to consider them as my daily driver. I am too used to the creature comforts and on-road manners of mainstream cars, which also fit my usage pattern better.
Old 3rd November 2020, 20:30   #24

Would you daily-drive an unconventional car like the Thar / V-Cross / Gurkha?

Yes.!!

I drive my Gypsy as daily commute since I bought brand new in Dec 2018. I added 27,500+ kms in last two years of ownership of beautiful Gypsy.

Pleasure of driving a modern classic like Gypsy is something words cannot do justice on paper.

Last edited by Dr GB : 3rd November 2020 at 20:36.
Dr GB is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2020, 20:35   #25
BHPian

Voted No.
Find it cumbersome to drive daily in a city like Bangalore + difficult second row access for family members.
Old 3rd November 2020, 20:35   #26
Senior - BHPian

Voted NO. A daily driver is one vehicle that's easy to maneuver, steer and park (MSP in short). Personally, I'd find the above mentioned vehicles a chore to MSP. It's to each his own, some may use them as daily's.
Old 3rd November 2020, 20:41   #27
Team-BHP Support

Voted yes for the Thar. It is very easy to drive in the city. It has a small footprint, the parking guys don't ask for payment for two spots when parking in congested areas and people make way for it. I would not be so sure about the V-Cross. I feel it would be a pain on a daily basis in a city. Since I live in the outskirts of Kolkata, it would still be fine for me. But I would think twice before taking it to the main city on a regular basis.
By the way, I don't think Thar is an unconventional car. For me a 2 WD SUV would be an unconventional car as it does not fulfil the purpose of an SUV
BlackPearl is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2020, 21:07   #28
BHPian

Voted Yes. I daily drive my newest acquistion, a 2008 Grand Vitara. She gives immense pleasure day in and day out.
Old 3rd November 2020, 21:10   #29
BHPian

Voted Yes! Now that it comes with reliable automatic transmission with traditional torque converter, its much easier to drive in city. Also the interior is way much better than what it previously used to be. Wife can definitely ignore other few minor points
Old 3rd November 2020, 21:40   #30
Senior - BHPian

Voted Yes. I would have already booked Thar, had it been coming with 4 doors. Sometimes it's easier to drive this kind of vehicles within city due to the road presence and people don't want to mess with it

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks