Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Is it your cup of tea?
Yes 281 58.18%
No 202 41.82%
Voters: 483. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 6th November 2020, 10:44   #61

Re: Would you daily-drive an unconventional car like the Thar / V-Cross / Gurkha?

Yes, have been driving a v cross for 3+ years now, have other cars in the garage(Passat, Polo GTI) The isuzu has been daily because others road users don’t bully you, with acceptable road comfort
Attached Thumbnails
Would you daily-drive an unconventional car like the Thar / V-Cross / Gurkha?-50c45babaa7d4be6a4bfee2d1ea22439.jpeg  

nishant is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 6th November 2020, 11:05   #62
BHPian

Re: Would you daily-drive an unconventional car like the Thar / V-Cross / Gurkha?

Voted for Yes

I drive daily my V Cross to the office in Goregaon, its fun to drive and has got good road presence. To be frank I don't have any difficulty driving in a busy traffic. People gives way to me looking at the huge truck. People look at the car in the traffic junction and has seen some of them clicking pics of my truck. Had a nice feeling.

Although driving this truck had to take care as the bikes and rickshaws are driving recklessly. Otherwise its a nice and comfortable to drive on even in city traffic.

Last edited by Sheel : 7th November 2020 at 08:25. Reason: Please proof read prior to submission and use spell-checkers. Thanks.
Max63 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 6th November 2020, 11:28   #63
BHPian

I would not.

My first car was the Ritz and I used it to commute to office everyday. Once I upgraded to a XUV, I stopped driving to work. The XUV is easy to drive in the city, has enough torque in the lower gears and offers decent fuel efficiency. But all that is beside the point. A 7 seater occupies so much more space on the road compared to a smaller hatchback. It does seem quite wasteful to drive around in a big SUV as the sole occupant.

The XUV is now used mainly for highway runs and the occasional commute within the city with the family. For everything else, it is my Himalayan or my wife's Dio.

Last edited by satishv1987 : 6th November 2020 at 11:29. Reason: Grammar
satishv1987 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th November 2020, 11:29   #64
BHPian

Here's my experience so far..
1) There will be at-least one motorcyclist rear-ending every week in traffic, with the accessory steel bumper installed wont have to get down to see if something is broken.
2) The 4wd hub will save from the taxis & autos trying to cut corners in half way of overtaking.
3) Did not notice a pot hole or speed bump, no worries.
4) Piled up sand, rock, high man hole caps and even elevated non-usable foot path can become parking space.
4) Two foot water on the road will become your private driveway, the only other vehicle moving along with you will be a government bus.
5) Break a side view mirror in parking? Just 200 INR dent in pocket compared to 1800 for my Figo.
6) Moving furniture or home appliance? flip the back seat and load'em up.
7) Coming back from home town, fill the vehicle with the elders love affection along with at least 3 months of rice, lentils and other grains and groceries not forgetting the home grown veggies and coconuts. The more you load the cozier the ride will be.
8) With or without load does not influence much on fuel efficiency or power. its always 10 to 12 kms and take pretty much the same 20 seconds to hit 100.

After 20 years of driving commander 750Dp. Thar felt comfortable. What i liked the most in Thar is the usability in city. I am not sure how much of these conveniences can be enjoyed in the new Thar.

How ever both the vehicles took toll on my health,
Off late my left knee cap is wearing faster than the clutch,
Stiff suspension gave vertigo, losing body balance every now & then and worsened my 3 layers of slipped disc.
Despite all this Thar is still my daily driver.
Family however cannot travel more than an hour, both wife and daughter get nausea so Figo drives them around.

No the other hand vCross length is not so advantageous in city traffic, had a chance to drive one.

Last edited by Living2Drive : 6th November 2020 at 11:36.
Living2Drive is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th November 2020, 11:30   #65
BHPian

What is so different in driving these cars / trucks. Once you start driving them daily, you get used to them, and then nothing else will feel as good as these vehicles.
No other vehicle will give the pleasure which they offer.

I drive my Safari daily, it is my go-to vehicle. I drive it for grocery shopping, mall, gym runs, travel. We have 3 cars in family.
Safari, Nexon and Beat, and despite having small cars available, my daily drive is the Safari.
Surely it is big, and parking is a problem sometimes, read again sometimes, but the feel and respect you get while seated in a SUV, no other car can offer that.

And yes, I'm planning about one of the trucks listed here. Thar or the V-Cross, I like both, and I'm actually waiting for the new V-Cross, and will then decide, what to get.

My Safari has completed 1.5L kms in 7 years, with 2020 seeing just 5-6k kms.
v_safari is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th November 2020, 11:42   #66
BHPian

Has anyone on the forum managed to haul a bike on their V-Cross? I feel like this is the best application of the vehicle in urban scenarios.
Old 6th November 2020, 11:43   #67
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max63 View Post
Voted for Yes

I drive daily my V Cross to the office in Goregaon, its fun to drive and has got good road presence. To be frank I don't have any difficluty driving in a busy traffic. People gives way to me looking at the huge truck. People look at the car in the traffic junction and has seen some of them clicking pics of my truck. Had a nice feeling.

Althouigh driving this truck had to take care as the biles and rickshaws are driving recklessly. Otherwise its a nice and comfortable to drive on even in city traffic
Would you daily-drive an unconventional car like the Thar / V-Cross / Gurkha?-img_20190218_183734.jpg

Would you daily-drive an unconventional car like the Thar / V-Cross / Gurkha?-img_20190218_183743.jpg

Would you daily-drive an unconventional car like the Thar / V-Cross / Gurkha?-img_20190218_183815.jpg

Would you daily-drive an unconventional car like the Thar / V-Cross / Gurkha?-inkedimg_20190218_183802_li.jpg

Would you daily-drive an unconventional car like the Thar / V-Cross / Gurkha?-inkedimg_20190218_183837_li.jpg

Last edited by Max63 : 6th November 2020 at 11:47.
Max63 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 6th November 2020, 12:18   #68
Senior - BHPian

Voted Yes.

My current ride is XUV5oo, I use it for my 30+ kms daily commute in Delhi-NCR, so living with a relatively large vehicle in urbanscape is somthing I am already used to. Apart from this I have an affinity towards large vehicles.

I would eventually pick a Vcross SCab Hi-ride for my daily commute.
BANDHAV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th November 2020, 12:30   #69
BHPian

Voted YES, I always like dailying quirky vehicles. I think I would choose either the V-Cross or Gurkha based on my budget. Both these have really nice ride quality. Experienced the V-Cross first hand and after reading Trojan's wonderful thread seems like the gurkha does too.

I would avoid the Thar as a daily only because of its poor (read:bumpy) ride as seen in every review of it.

While it's nice and cool once in a while it will be a pain to do it every day, trust me I know! I drive a a very stiff and bumpy car as a daily already.

My next car would definitely have to ride well and also have the perfect seating position. Two things I took for granted and will be on top priority the next time around.

Note: while I absolutely love stiff cars and sharp handlers, they are not practical daily's and that is something I only realized after owning and dailying one!
Turrrb0 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th November 2020, 12:47   #70
BHPian

I have been driving my Xenon XT 4X4 since 2011 and drove Gypsy MG410 from 2007 to 2011. Lived with Gypsy without AC in Hyderabad's two summers. Both have been my only car whether for my corporate job commute or for my wildlife research work taking me where there are no roads. Replaced the Gypsy with the Xenon XT in 2011 when I moved back to Bangalore from Hyderabad.

As GTO says these cars/trucks are not for everyone and especially for those who care's for a "Societal image". If you ignore some of the pains like finding parking and few electronic features then they are real work horses. Driving in city is never a problem and people make way for you sometimes even the bus drivers. Auto guys will not even dare to bully you. I do use my wife's Nano for short shopping trips, but each time a cycle buy or auto guy bullies me I end up using Xenon next time.

Have loaded it upto a ton on few occasions during few of my cousin's wedding.
Have accommodated almost 10 people with camping supplies for remote field work.

The new Thar has improved leaps and bounds on all fronts and can definitely be used a daily commute. The V-Cross had most of the creature comfort and electronics that a Xenon XT does not have.

Wish Tata's came up with a refreshed Xenon and I would be ready to upgrade.
Pardus is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th November 2020, 12:57   #71
BHPian

Voted No because :

1. Why walk like a drunkard? when you can go in a straight line
2. Driving in city requires good all round visibility, can't say about VCROSS but the new Thar has a significant challenge when it comes to rear view visibility. Sedan owners should avoid following a Thar.
3. Maneuverability, Parking in tight spaces would be a big challenge with these vehicles
4. I sometimes use a motorcycle for commute. I know how it feels to have a big SUV driver bullying you from the rear end. At least I wouldn't want to scare people off the road. It's neither safe nor civic.

That said, short distances (upto 50 kms) will not be so uncomfortable in a Thar. It is the highway miles that will get really uncomfortable. Even if one manages to hold the head straight, fatigue will slow you down.

Last edited by Rajiv0909 : 6th November 2020 at 13:00.
Old 6th November 2020, 13:22   #72
BHPian

Voted: YES

I have been driving frequently all of the Isuzu models, right from MU-7 and V-Cross, upto D-Max.

In fact, in 2012-13, I used to drive MU-7 every week day through Pune city roads, from Karve road via ABC to Pune station, and then Pimpri-Chinchwad, I did not find it difficult to drive, except for a U Turn.

I love the way they drive, and the power they all have. The V-Cross looks awesome even in stock condition.

The only accessory that is a must, is the boot lining and lockable cover. That's it.

I have driven Gypsy King for few days in Pune city but due to lack of power steering and bumpy ride, I don't prefer it.

I have not driven any Mahindra yet. Will surely like to get a feel some day.

As on today: Will be happy to drive V-Cross or S-Cab any day.
JitendraK78 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th November 2020, 14:07   #73
BHPian

[quote=Max63;4925107]

Hi, OT, but could you let me know where you got the roof bars and carrier and how much it cost you?

I was looking for something that fits entirely on the rails.
Old 6th November 2020, 16:12   #74
BHPian

All major cities are going to get more cars be big or small and the pandemic will pressurise all middle class families to upgrade to cars from bikes(public transport is still off in a few places, lower number of buses etc)
If the town infrastructure(almost all cities are quiet packed now) does not get a major over haul it's going to be a headace to drive an unconventional vehicle, given the form requires more attention to drive it and attention to scratches and dents etc is another pain
Prefer a cheaper vehicle which the Pune population can scratch on while I remain at ease that repairs and replacements come cheap.
Old 6th November 2020, 17:54   #75

Yes.

I own a 2017 Mahindra Thar that has done about 37,000 kms to date.

Changed the soft top to a custom made hard top which is the only major modification I have done, Engine, Tires and Suspension are all stock.

Cars that I used prior to this had power windows, power side view mirrors, a comfortable arm rest and of course a much smoother ride, but still I cant even imagine driving anything else for another 7 years - which is how long I am hoping to use the Thar.
Attached Thumbnails
Would you daily-drive an unconventional car like the Thar / V-Cross / Gurkha?-73784769b0c44970a0ddbaa45e1bc89d.jpg  

Mathyou is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks