Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Is it your cup of tea?
Yes 281 58.18%
No 202 41.82%
Voters: 483. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 6th November 2020, 20:13   #76
BHPian

Re: Would you daily-drive an unconventional car like the Thar / V-Cross / Gurkha?

I don't know if this is OT, but we have 3 Tata Sierras, they were also unconventional cars like Thar (3 door SUV), but they have been daily drivers for our family for about 20 long years. We went to school, college, my parents went to work in these cars, we did countless long journeys in these cars and 3 of our Sierras together clocked about 10 lakh kms. We never had any major mechanical issues all those years, for elderly people (grand parents, we had Tata Estate). Later when we bought Qualis, Innova, Wagon R and Crysta, my parents started using them, also the reliability of Toyotas also spoiled us. Now we use Sierras very rarely, I keep them running once in a while around the block to keep mechanicals in good shape.

If I were to use a Thar or a V-Cross as a daily driver, I'd be more than happy to drive them to my work place. They look intimidating, auto drivers and bikers will stop messing around. I love both these vehicles and I drool over the pictures of Modified V-Cross', Thar's in our forum.
WhiteSierra is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 6th November 2020, 20:49   #77
BANNED

Re: Would you daily-drive an unconventional car like the Thar / V-Cross / Gurkha?

Voted yes. I don’t believe in buying anything to baby it. I buy it. I ride / drive it. Period. In fact, the appropriate summation is; I buy it, and then I flog it. If it’s a machine, it is meant to be used properly. Otherwise, my experience is that someone else will get the benefit of an almost brand new machine from me at a huge cost rebate. Why on earth should I serve as the discount factor for someone else? If the vehicle is going to depreciate, then it better deserve that depreciation. That’s my 0.02.
mohansrides is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th November 2020, 23:09   #78
BHPian

Voted Yes!

I've been driving a Bolero for close to 7 years now, though it's not really as unconventional as the Thar or Vcross, it's a pretty much bare bones SUV with a hydraulic power steering, no parking sensors or rear camera (it's fairly easy to maneuver once you get used to the dimensions), leaf springs at the rear, inadequate seating comfort, equally bone jarring ride though the ride quality excels with load and on bad roads. I thought of getting an upgrade from Bolero and bought a preloved Corolla Altis which was ultra comfortable, super spacious, good equipment level/ fit and finish, plush ride, smooth/quiet petrol engine, minimal maintenance and safety features on point, heck it made the Bolero seem like a Flintstone car. Everything was great about Corolla except it was a bland car, driving pleasure was missing, constant belly rubs from unscientific speed bumps and I couldn't take it to places where I was unsure about road conditions. So after little over a year adding 7k kms sold it with a heavy heart and retained the Bolero, it does tick almost all boxes like the Thar - 4x4 and + covered hardtop with 5 seats and decent boot space. Also if I get to own a Gypsy someday as a second car I might use it more often than the other primary car, simply coz it pulls the right chords in my heart and I might not be able to enjoy it throughout my life so I'll while I still can.

Last edited by Shanky_1002 : 6th November 2020 at 23:13.
Old 7th November 2020, 07:57   #79
BHPian

I'd definitely drive a Thar every day. Bangalore roads being what they are, my 50-60Km drive cycle being what it is, the Thar is the only interesting car that can keep a daily commute lively without spending north of 50L on a new car. It wouldn't be my primary pick for serious highway munching though. I'd have to be able to use another car for that.
imp! is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th November 2020, 10:10   #80
BHPian

[quote=Achu;4925228]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max63 View Post

Hi, OT, but could you let me know where you got the roof bars and carrier and how much it cost you?

I was looking for something that fits entirely on the rails.
Hi Max63, this was for you. Somehow did not get the quote thing right.
Old 7th November 2020, 10:23   #81
BHPian

NOPE!

And I say this as a Thar owner. Cannot daily-drive it.

Sure, I can drive it for days at end - but not as *the* everyday commuter. Several reasons:
- lack of comfort (obviously). My daily drive is about 80-120kms, and driving it is just a full-body exercise. I had to take drive it for about 10 days daily, and while it was fun, I can't handle it alongside extreme working hours.
- lack of safe storage spaces. I need to store laptop, etc. Normally I can lock it in the boot of my car - something that just isn't possible in the Thar.
- horrible fuel efficiency; extreme guilt about using so much diesel only to be stuck behind a DTC bus crawling at 5kmph.
- image issues: I'm a lawyer and just can't handle going to the Supreme Court or the High Court in the Thar because of all the looks I get.
Old 7th November 2020, 12:02   #82
Senior - BHPian

Although these huge proper SUV's look imposing and have a "do not mess with me" face, I think it would be quite difficult. What about taking quick U-turns or parking for urgent purchases ? Maybe a quick run to pick someone up could also be a pain if I have to wait in an area with restricted Road space. However these statements are applicable for me as I live in a tier-2 city. However if I were to live somewhere outside the city, then it is yes. Oh man just imagine the daily fun these beasts could deliver.

I also a sweet spot for the V-cross. That pickup is a butch, Proper vehicle for our roads except the size of it.
Old 7th November 2020, 16:55   #83
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwasp View Post
The '20 Thar has reignited interest in the 4x4 / lifestyle vehicles category and there are many buyers who started with the Thar, but are now considering the V-Cross too. Trojan's awesome Gurkha review is sure to set some phones ringing at Force showrooms.

Question is, can you daily-drive one?

I have no idea how I missed this thread!! Thank you so much @blackwasp for your kind words, hope it really does something for the Gurkha, it is an awesome vehicle and needs to be experienced to understand the true value proposition it provides.

Coming to the Poll!! An emphatic Yes!!

As an SUV lover, I have always fancied them over any other vehicle and getting them with 4wd on the go is superb.

Practically speaking for the Isuzu, one needs to have sufficient parking space for the behemoth to fit.

The Gurkha & the Thar both have relatively smaller footprints, much smaller than some sedans too and the visibility is a boon in traffic.

Larger engines and higher torque, makes it pretty much an automatic, I rarely have to move to 1st gear, the surge of torque as you release the clutch will help you sail through speed breakers and traffic, no need to do anything else.

Cheers,
Trojan
Trojan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th November 2020, 19:45   #84
BHPian

Voted No!
I believe ride quality, ease of driving and efficiency are main aspects of a daily driver.
The Thar, V-cross and Gurkha are precision instruments/lifestyle vehicles and Hats off to those people who use them everyday for office commute!
Old 7th November 2020, 22:18   #85
BHPian

No - will not drive this daily to my workplace. The 30-40 minutes I spend in the car daily is ‘me’ time and would like to spend it in creature comforts and latest of the gizmos.
Old 8th November 2020, 21:24   #86
BHPian

No.

I love the Thar and V-Cross as lifestyle choices, and I'm happy they do exist as an option in India even though they target a niche demographic, supposedly. These are the only 4x4 +AT combination available under 20 lakhs.
As a second car, if I needed a weekender, I would go for them.

But as a daily driver, I would rather drive a more practical and comfortable choice. Neither of them tick all boxes as my one car do all.

Also, the replies to this thread are a sad reflection of the dismal kind of roads and road users we are forced to live with in India, to a point where most of us have chosen Yes, just so that we could scare others away using either of these cars as a potential threat on wheels . It's true. I get it, but it's just sad that it actually works!
Old 9th November 2020, 09:26   #87
BHPian

Would I daily drive an unconventional car??

Would you daily-drive an unconventional car like the Thar / V-Cross / Gurkha?-img_20201105_233010.jpg

Hell, Yes!!
Geo_Ipe is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th November 2020, 02:18   #88
BHPian

Voted Yes. However, it would entirely depend upon the car which is the subject matter of consideration. I am not sure about V-Cross (considering its length) or the Gurkha (for lack of comfort) but the Thar, in its present avatar is definitely practicable to use as a daily drive. Even otherwise, considering the size of the Thar it was always possible to drive it as a daily workhorse. Though I have not driven an unconventional car as my daily drive, I can certainly live with a Thar for sure, hence voted Yes.
Old 12th November 2020, 05:07   #89
BHPian

Definitely No. I will go for unconventional car only if I have another car in garage for daily usage. Something like Civic or RAV4 or a Odyssey as main car while unconventional vehicle like Chevy Silverado or Wrangler or a Mustang for fun or weekend rides.
If there is no scope (space wise or financially for second car) I will go for performance version of a conventional car like Honda Civic Si or Dodge Charger.

Last edited by Bhalla : 12th November 2020 at 05:10. Reason: Added comma rather than bracket close sign
Old 12th November 2020, 06:56   #90
BHPian

I would be delighted to drive an unconventional car.

1. Bentley Continental GT

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/inter...ar-planet.html (Bentley Continental GT - The best IC engine car on the planet?)

2. Porsche 911

3. Tesla Cybertruck

I would prefer to have at least one another family car along with my cool daily-drive.

Last edited by Godzilla : 12th November 2020 at 06:58.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks