Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Would you buy a used Toyota Innova Crysta today?
Yes 248 76.07%
No 78 23.93%
Voters: 326. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 28th December 2020, 12:20   #16
BHPian

Re: Pre-worshipped car of the week : Buying a Used Toyota Innova Crysta

Voted YES

If I am looking for a MPV which shall be with a new family till they grow old enough to drive. It can easily be passed on to the next generation if taken good care. Never owned a Toyota however have heard so many happy owners regarding their service very highly.

However, it will not be a value for money purchase. Pre owned Innovas correct their prices with the ever increasing prices of new ones. I know of a friend who bought an Innova at 10 L almost a decade ago and cannot think of exchanging it with a new one for the price it carries today.
Old 28th December 2020, 12:53   #17
BHPian

Need advise on buying old Innova.

I'm looking for an used MPV specific for highway usage. For city usage, I have an Alto which serves the purpose.Budget is around 5 Lakhs only.

I have been looking for used innovas from 2005,2006 in that budget with high miles of about 1.2 Lakh Kms on the ODO.

I'm aware of Innova's reliability. Since the usage is going to be less and exclusive on highways, Is it advisable to go with older model innovas with those high miles.
ash22 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th December 2020, 17:09   #18
BHPian

Votes 'NO', doesn't make sense because of the high resale value.

Either cars are too old ( but still has good amount of life left, before scrap) or young cars are already seen its peak runs and mostly abused too.
Old 28th December 2020, 18:02   #19
BHPian

Voted yes because have been using the previous Innova for over 95k kms now and it's the most reliable car I've ever owned. So if someone is in the market for a second hand 7 seater then Innova is the perfect choice specially when people are not sure about the mechanical condition of a second hand car. Personally for me, I'd rather buy a new Crysta than second hand because the price difference won't be much. I think the old Innova makes more sense in the second hand market.
Old 28th December 2020, 18:58   #20
BHPian

Voted Yes and have BOUGHT ONE TOO

I recently picked up a used 2017 Crysta AT.

My Crysta details link (The "USED" Car Price Check Thread)

With the money saved I also installed a pretty decent ICE, did some interior upgrades too spending about 1.8L and still feel that I saved a lot as compared to buying a brand new one. Thanks to the lateral upgrading thread.

ICE Upgrade on my Crysta (The Damping Material and Sound Deadener Thread)

I also got featured in the Youtube channel by the accessories vendor

The car has zero vibrations and I have ever since been a happy owner of this one.

Last edited by The Great : 28th December 2020 at 18:59.
The Great is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th December 2020, 21:20   #21
Senior - BHPian

If Innova or Fortuner, buying new one makes more sense. A 3 year one with 1lac on ODO won't come any cheap. If you are looking for sparingly used one's, it is like mining bitcoin. That said even with 1Lac KM, car is reliable with all features working as expected. After paying a premium there won't be much depreciation either. If you can find a good copy, it's a safe bet.
PrideRed is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th December 2020, 03:12   #22
BHPian

Voting YES

Reliability is the main reason why I'm voting YES to this poll. However' it's very difficult to find the right one, as they don't stay longer in used car dealer's inventory.

Few years back I was helping my brother in law to find used Innova, we could find very few with private sellers, and most sellers won't negotiate much as they know the resale value.

If you plan to keep this vehicle for longer duration, It makes sense to buy a new as the price difference between used Vs it's price when it was new is not much.
Old 29th December 2020, 05:51   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

Voted NO. A friend is getting ₹4.5 l for his 10 year old, 250 k run MT Innova. For something that holds value like that, it makes no sense to buy second hand.

We will be in the market for a new car post February, and a new Innova will be on the consideration set.
Hayek is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 29th December 2020, 10:29   #24
BHPian

Voted a No.
I am owner of etios and it's all a wonderful experience so far including my recent family trip of 1200 kms round about.
If I have 25L as the budget, straight away the innova will be my choice seeing the way it has got improved over years.
But if half of 25L or just above half of it is the budget, and for family in mind, I feel instead of going for a used innova, I will go with a new XL6 which when I saw almost will be able to cater what a family wants.
Given maruti Suzuki's presence, its going to be easy to maintain considering a used car which would have completed its warranty time. I am particular about warranty here because the engine alone is not the car.
Old 29th December 2020, 11:31   #25
BHPian

Voted No!

1. They are insanely overpriced in the resale market. Even the ones not maintained well demand crazy money and are not good value. I was offered a 70k run Touring edition Innova for 24L last year. The owner mentioned that the car would run for another 1-2 lakh kms without a problem. But the problem was that I had no intention of spending the next 6-7 years driving an Innova. They are boring as hell!
2. There are just too many of them on the road. The rebel in me will never buy one.
Old 29th December 2020, 11:51   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

As many others have pointed out, considering the high resale prices of the Innova, I would just go with a new one out of the showroom, and exactly did that, even though I very much know that the car itself is overpriced to a good extent. And good luck finding a good example of a used Crysta. I see ads stating a typical use of 1L kms at the time of sale. The good examples get swallowed within contacts and dealer friends since who would not want to keep one.

A used Innova Crysta makes sense if one has high usage, and of course then it makes sense since the typical lifetime of the car is pretty long and even if the usage is high, it will still last and make the purchase worth it. But if its for something like 10-15k kms a year, then I would just buy a brand new XL6 or Ertiga and enjoy the new car experience as well as a trouble free use of at least 80k kms or five years. I keep this figure in mind since thats when we will have to spend a little bit on clutch, suspension components etc, but thats it. Having my SX4 for 10 years and 70k kms, I can vouch for its fuss free ownership and minimal maintenance requirements.

The Innova crysta on the other hand will defintely make sense if one wants to tour a bit and cover a good amount of distance on their cars. A Bhpian friend of mine has done 95k kms in the last four years of ownership and I think he has hardly replaced a brake pad and two sets of tyres on his Crysta and not much apart from that. And if you see his car you will never recognize the amount of distance it has covered.

As for the alternatives like a Marazzo or a lodgy, at least I havent seen examples of a high-kms run Mahindra still not showing age and free of issues. No offense to owners, but there is a huge difference between a 1L kms run Mahindra and a 1L kms run Toyota and to a great extent a Maruti. Or maybe I have only seen the bad examples, would love to see a good example.

Speaking of bottoming out, my car has footsteps at the side and this thing touches large speedbreakers if I dont drive slowly over them. And the rear suspension when fully loaded bottoms out when going over speed breakers faster than 10kph. Apart from this, there are no other issues with the ground clearance.

Last edited by audioholic : 29th December 2020 at 12:00.
audioholic is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th December 2020, 11:57   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidban85 View Post
How is the ground clearance in the Crysta? With 5 or 6 people onboard, will it be able to handle say Bangalore to Mysore, Bandipur, Ooty runs? Herad that the soft suspension bottoms out. Any feedback on that? Marazzo seems to have better ground clearance on paper.
Just came back driving on NH67 and stretch between Hubli to Hampi has many diversions and also big speed breakers. With 4 on board and rest of the space packed with luggage had no issues with ground clearance.
silverknight is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th December 2020, 12:08   #28
BHPian

Thanks, Voted a YES. I have been mulling over this thought for a while. Then the only thing that kicks me about owing a preowned Innova Crysta is the resale price. Its a double whammy for a guy like me, as spending a few more lakhs over the price of a second hand crysta would get me this brand new, and after 7 years of usage I can sell it for roughly in the same ballpark. So should I bite the bullet or not
Old 29th December 2020, 13:15   #29
BHPian

Let me provide a first-hand account of buying a used Crysta in Bangalore.

Since I wanted an 8 seater automatic, I had no option but to go with GX At as 8 seater in only available in this trim. I brought a 2016 43K done 2.8 GX AT at exactly 16 lakhs on road from Toyota U-Trust.
I checked the old prices and the on-road price of Crysta GX AT in 2016 was 20.6 lakhs. So the depreciation is just 20% if you take the old value but the current onroad price is 24.5 lakhs. The dealers and owners compare the current price when they sell and that makes it very difficult to get a good deal.

For someone planning to buy a used GX trim, I would recommend them to go for a recent model as there were quite a few important additions made over the years.
A few major changes:
  • Seat height adjust, rear center armrest were added in 2017
  • Cruise control, Steering mounted controls, OEM music system, speed-sensing door lock, electrically adjustable wing mirrors with the retractable feature, welcome lamps, and immobilizer with siren were included in 2018+ AT models
  • Vehicle stability control and hill start assist were added in 2020 BS6 AT variant

But the irony is that the above list hardly matters in the second-hand market and only the current on-road price of the model is taken for determining the value.

However, the car after 4+ years is still rock solid and feels almost new. The discontinued 2.8 is a gem. The peak torque is spread very wide i.e. 1200-3400. So just a tap of the accelerator and the engine pulls like a truck. The heavy hydraulic steering is a huge letdown, especially during parking. Also, I found that ZX variants were better priced compared to other variants.
sunilg33 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th December 2020, 13:44   #30
BHPian

A Big YES, but, finding a good used one is near to impossible. Also the cost of the top end (INR 20L plus mostly in Chennai) doesn't make sense as a brand new GX or VX would be a good proposition.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks