Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th November 2020, 18:50   #1261
BHPian

Re: The Damping Material and Sound Deadener Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzuki san View Post
Hi " The Great"
Woah!!! That's expensive! I was quoted 3k per door. Do you mind sharing where you got this done? Job certainly looks neat and professional.
Cheers.
I have done only 4 doors as of now since I did not install a woofer.
The work was done at Vig Auto Accessories Vashi.
The Great is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th November 2020, 11:35   #1262
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great View Post
I have done only 4 doors as of now since I did not install a woofer.
The work was done at Vig Auto Accessories Vashi.
I had seen this guy's videos on youtube, seems pretty decent. Hardly replies on whatsapp though

I also have an audio upgrade scheduled on coming Saturday and I was wondering:

1. Did you get the door panels damped with 3 layer damping with different damping for plastic parts?
2. Why go for Vibromax? dealers here are scaring me that damp mat, CTK, etc are made for euro climate and won't last a chance in scorching North Indian summers
3. Are the doors heavy after the installation? would damping take a toll on the door hinges?

Cheers!
Old 18th November 2020, 11:57   #1263
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drive_angry View Post
I had seen this guy's videos on Youtube, seems pretty decent. Hardly replies on whatsapp though

I also have an audio upgrade scheduled on coming Saturday and I was wondering:

1. Did you get the door panels damped with 3 layer damping with different damping for plastic parts?
2. Why go for Vibromax? dealers here are scaring me that damp mat, CTK, etc are made for euro climate and won't last a chance in scorching North Indian summers
3. Are the doors heavy after the installation? would damping take a toll on the door hinges?

Cheers!
I got featured in one of his videos

Yes he acts like that on phone but once I visited him he gave me his full attention. Once the discussion about my requirements were settled, I was sent to a malls parking basement area where they install these accessories. Apparently they have taken 5 parkings on rent.

1. Same sheets were used for doors and plastic. I had to insist on the plastic parts.

2. Vibromax is different from Vibrofilter and infact Dampmat is an Indian brand in my knowledge so that shouldn't be a problem here. I can only comment after summer about the holding part since I am from Mumbai.

3. The doors surely feel bassy and on closing the 'thud' felt solid. But these sheets are not that heavy to put the hinges into any kind of toll.

Last edited by The Great : 18th November 2020 at 11:58.
The Great is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th November 2020, 19:34   #1264
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
though I am not a materials man, my understanding is that there is something called "softening point" for polymers - a temperature beyond which the material loses it's elasticity and beings to "become gooey". That temperature is higher for butyl rubber, compared to bitumen/asphalt/tar - the two kinds of materials used to make damping sheets, the latter being the cheaper one. I don't think good reputable brands make bitumen based damping sheets anymore - all will invariably be based on butyl rubber. Hence, my doubts whether the dealer is taking you for a ride
venkyhere is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th November 2020, 09:56   #1265
Senior - BHPian

Hi, in the UAE, in this 60Degree heat, we use Dampmats. Go for it. They're world-class. It's not from Europe (I was told). from Canada, rather. Door hinges can take a lot more weight than just the doors, so dont worry. In fact, you get a beautiful 'thump', on closing
Quote:
dealers here are scaring me that damp mat, CTK, etc are made for euro climate and won't last a chance in scorching North Indian summers

Last edited by Sebring : 19th November 2020 at 09:58.
Sebring is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th November 2020, 13:01   #1266
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
Hi, in the UAE, in this 60Degree heat, we use Dampmats. Go for it. They're world-class. It's not from Europe (I was told). from Canada, rather. Door hinges can take a lot more weight than just the doors, so dont worry. In fact, you get a beautiful 'thump', on closing
Dampmat is from India, Punjab. You could be confusing with Dynamat.

I have had Dampmat in my Punto since 2015 Feb. Though it doesn't get as hot as in UAE, Gurgaon does reach quite high and with car often parked in open, there has been no issues in the adhesiveness of the sheets
kunwar.g is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th November 2020, 13:15   #1267
Senior - BHPian

Oh yes. Similar sounding names, to confuse perhaps. Thanks for pointing that out
Quote:
Originally Posted by kunwar.g View Post
I have had Dampmat in my Punto since 2015 Feb. Though it doesn't get as hot as in UAE, Gurgaon does reach quite high and with car often parked in open, there has been no issues in the adhesiveness of the sheets
Old 19th November 2020, 20:08   #1268
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Dynamat is the world leader and most significant "first mover" in automobile sound deadening space. However, check out a company called "NOICO" (US based) which was formed purely to disrupt Dynamat's market domination by offering the same product at a much cheaper rate. Google for "top 10" or "best auto sound deadeners" and though Dynamat will most often lead the ratings, NOICO will be there somewhere in the leaderboard.
venkyhere is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2020, 21:34   #1269
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kunwar.g View Post
Dampmat is from India, Punjab. You could be confusing with Dynamat.

+ 1. Know quite a lot of dampmat customers in Chennai who did not have any problem with the adhesiveness.

One question to Gurus here: What is the typical # of years a damping material remains effective? Someone who uses punk audios damping sheet states for his customers stated that it is effective for upto 3 years max.
Old 24th November 2020, 01:22   #1270
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sridhar K View Post
One question to Gurus here: What is the typical # of years a damping material remains effective?
Why would it become ineffective... ever?
Thad E Ginathom is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 24th November 2020, 11:02   #1271
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by viXit View Post
Dear members,

I recently took a small ride in a BMW X7 30d and was awestruck by how quiet and refined everything sounded. The engine had noticeable diesel clatter on the outside(albeit very less) but on the inside it was dead quiet! I really want to know how they have achieved this.

I opened the door and closed it again and again a couple of times to see what all the hype about the german car "thunk" was.
I didn't find it to be a very bassy or heavy thud. I feel that I am assessing this relatively and the door didn't impress me much because my Safari's front doors are hella heavy and have a sheet of sound deadening in it.

But the ambience of the cabin and the SMOOTH power delivery was something out of this world.
My question is as follows.

Will dampening my roof, floor doors firewall etc. ever be able to reach the low noise levels of a luxury car like a BMW? Would like to hear the opinions of people who have ridden in both luxury cars and sound deadened cars which aren't as expensive.

I'm really blown away by the ambience of the car. Maybe it had active noise cancellation, I'm not sure. But it was beautiful.
I don't' think any aftermarket fitment can reach the level of NVH standards provided by OEMs, especially that of luxury cars. May be tuners like Brabus can get it done with their extensive R&D and meticulous work.

From technical point of view, there are many aspects which adds to the silent cabin of luxury cars like BMW X7, GLS, S-Class, Maybach etc.

One among those begins at the BiW production stage of the vehicles. The structure borne excitations/noises are dampened using elastomeric foams between the roof bows and roof panel. There are also ultra-lightweight expandable foams, injected into A & B-pillar as well.
Moreover, sound-insulating and sound-absorbing elements made of various foam and fibre materials are installed throughout the vehicle.

Next one is the underbody coating, which dampens any noise arising from the road & other foreign elements.

Above all, as you mentioned, there is active noise cancellation (with Engine order cancellation) which makes a huge difference.

If better damping materials are used in doors, firewall areas, roof, wheel arches, floor you can bring considerable difference to the NVH. But, I am not sure of the costing point of it.
redbaron91 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th December 2020, 16:30   #1272
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi Guys,

Has anyone heard of and/or used "Vibromax" damping sheets. 2.00 mm thick. Made in Russia. Dealer says they are NOT waterproof but he has never had any complaints.

And another one : RSR Auto Vision. Chinese made but made to a dealer's spec.

Any advice on these 2 brands would be a great help.

The quote is about 15K for 5 doors incl. labour. In Bombay.

Regards,
SS
That's an absolute rip off! They're available here for 7.5k for 10 sheets (Vibromax). I can help you if you already haven't bought them. I will mostly be going for them myself too in a few days.

Also, no damping is waterproof as such.

Last edited by straight6 : 13th December 2020 at 16:31.
Old 14th December 2020, 14:30   #1273
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by straight6 View Post
That's an absolute rip off! They're available here for 7.5k for 10 sheets (Vibromax). I can help you if you already haven't bought them. I will mostly be going for them myself too in a few days.

Also, no damping is waterproof as such.
Hi Straight6,

Thanks for the offer.
No, I found the cost was just too high for what was being offered.
Please let me know where you will be fitting the same. If you can DM me that would be great. Also, if you don't mind, I would like to wait till you are done, see if you are happy with the results and then go ahead. Hope you don't mind.

Cheers,
SS
Old 22nd December 2020, 18:44   #1274
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
No, I found the cost was just too high for what was being offered.
It's available online for Rs. 7490.

https://www.motorogue.in/vibromax.html

I am happy with this product. I didn't get it online though, had used 12 sheets for 4 doors in my S-Cross, paid around 12k which includes labour.

The Damping Material and Sound Deadener Thread-img_20201207_164823.jpg

The Damping Material and Sound Deadener Thread-img_20201207_190303.jpg

The Damping Material and Sound Deadener Thread-img_20201207_204557.jpg
Dr.Naren is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2020, 23:24   #1275
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Why would it become ineffective... ever?
I have been given to understand by a senior installer of damping sheets that none of the damping sheets are waterproof. If any water enters the interior door areas from the window weather strips, this could destroy the adhesive and cause the damping sheet to fall off. The only repair is to replace!!

Regards,
SS
suzuki san is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks