Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment

Search this Thread
Old 12th July 2019, 10:00   #1216
BHPian

I need a suggestion,

There is a black carpet like thin material that is installed on the hood of the vehicle. It reduces the noise from the engine.

In the last to last service, the Hyundai ASS people managed to misplace it. After a little drama, they promised to have one fit during the next service.

And viola! When I went to the ASS centre, all employees are new not a single old employee.

Anyways, I am in search of this product. I am not sure where to find it. I am only interested in noise reduction from the engine. The hood heats up due to the engine running and I personally want to stay away from heat insulation for the hood.

A plain simple product that can be installed under the hood to reduce sound. Has anyone purchased this before or does anyone know a place in Bangalore where I can pick it up from, please do let me know. (yes, JC Road is the place to go, but a recommended shop would be appreciated. Over the years a lot of new shops have sprung up and not all of them do a decent job)

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo Head View Post
Hey everyone, I have an Octavia 1.8 TSi, being petrol its comparatively silent but road noises irritates me. Can you please suggest which sheet/sound deadening material to use, how much quantity will be needed and how much budget should I take to make it super silent ?

Please note, I have no such inclination for ICE, basic idea is sound proofing.

Sorry for OT, though tyres (OEM Goodyear) have done just 20k, but I want to change the same for above-mentioned reason, So suggestions will be really appreciated.
If I'm not wrong, Octavia comes with factory fit sound deadening material. I would suggest the following:-

1. Go for dynamat/alternatives for the floor of your car. The product will look like a thick rubber carpet.

2. For the door panels, additional sound absorbing material would be needed.

3. The back of the rear seats, which faces the boot, you can add a layer of sound deadening material. Try driving with the last row folded. You will shocked to see the noise entering the cabin from the boot.

4. If the road noise is noticed at higher speeds only then a tyre change would be needed

5. Check the door seal strips. Replace them with thicker ones or aftermarket ones. They seem to do a much better job in terms of acoustic insulation. I had done the same for my Scorpio and there was a noticeable difference.

Hope this helps

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 12th July 2019 at 20:08. Reason: Merging back to back posts. Typos corrected
Shashwat B is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 12th July 2019, 19:04   #1217
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)
Re: The Damping Material and Sound Deadener Thread

Has anyone tried installing damping mats / damping paint(spray) in the wheel wells (between the body shell and the plastic cladding) in any car ? Want to explore this.
Old 12th July 2019, 20:13   #1218
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shashwat B View Post
I am only interested in noise reduction from the engine. The hood heats up due to the engine running and I personally want to stay away from heat insulation for the hood.
Had installed damping sheet under the hood of my car, though even I was a bit skeptical about the heating aspect - seems to be holding perfectly well after about 3 years and 52k kms. Bought the material and got it installed at High Definition Cars, Jayanagar (Haven't visited the place recently though).

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-...ml#post4067387
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th July 2019, 10:19   #1219
BHPian

Has anybody tried using CTK damping sheets. It is a new product from Ukraine and lot of Delhi installers seeem to be using it. Any reviews on its performance by Audio gurus. Thanks
Old 20th October 2019, 19:07   #1220
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by venkyhere View Post
Has anyone tried installing damping mats / damping paint(spray) in the wheel wells (between the body shell and the plastic cladding) in any car ? Want to explore this.
I've thought about this too, but decided against it.

What tends to happen is - moisture tends to get trapped between the hardened spray and the metal wheel well. This causes rusting over time, and the worst part is you won't be able to see it.
KaranP is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 27th January 2020, 22:48   #1221
BHPian

Has anyone had experience on installing noise damping material in Etios Petrol especially with respect to doors?
Old 30th January 2020, 01:53   #1222
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgoyle View Post
Has anyone had experience on installing noise damping material in Etios Petrol especially with respect to doors?
While I have never owned an Etios, I have got door damping and underbody coating done in 3 of my cars, Civic, Figo and Tiago and the results have been positive in terms of improved cabin silence, reduced road noise, better sound quality from the car audio and heavy sounding doors.
civic-dk is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 31st January 2020, 14:15   #1223
BHPian

Thanks, Could you share details of material used for the door.
Old 31st January 2020, 19:57   #1224
BHPian

Don't remember, got it done at my trusted accessories shop in Banjara Hills, Hyderabad. Its called Twisters.
Old 31st January 2020, 22:40   #1225
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by civic-dk View Post
Don't remember, got it done at my trusted accessories shop in Banjara Hills, Hyderabad. Its called Twisters.
If you don't mind, can you please let me know which damping material was used and can you post any pictures of the work done?!
Old 1st February 2020, 01:27   #1226
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
If you don't mind, can you please let me know which damping material was used and can you post any pictures of the work done?!
Sorry, I can't recollect, it was something like dampmat. Don't have any photos either.
Old 24th February 2020, 17:34   #1227
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdmainroad View Post
Go for the thickest and heaviest material you can find that fits your budget.
I beg your pardon,
this is not the correct way to go.

Heavier is not better.

Heavy sheets tend to leak when subjected to harsh hot climate (Delhi NCR),
There are 3 qualities available with "Good" installers.
Silver, Gold, and black.
Silver being the cheapest & black being the most expensive along with the best sound deadening materials inside.
You can lift it with just 2 fingers.
Nitish.arnold is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th May 2020, 10:28   #1228
BANNED

Please see the YOUTUBE link above. This guy used Yoga mats and sheets, which are colloquially known as "Heatlon sheet" for sound damping. Really ingenious I must say and logically should work if adhering to the sheet metal properly.
Has any one here on this forum tried this technique?
Does it actually work.?
Also, has any one taken readings of a car cabin ambient sound using a DECIBEL meter for accurately confirming, if there is indeed any drop in ambient sound inside the car cabin as compared to before installation of the damping material. (At same speed and engine RPM of course)
In India, it can be mostly seen that damping of the doors and tail gate/boot lid are done, nothing on roof or floor of the car. That too the job is done by mostly, (not all), by semi or unskilled workers and car accessory shop owners with questionable knowledge of acoustics. Hence I am skeptical of the ambient sound/noise reduction with just pasting sound damping materials to reasonable accessible parts.

Grateful if members here, who have applied sound damping materials (branded or home made like yoga mats and all) to their cars, can share their experience, long term results of the applied product and if there is any actual, measurable sound/noise reduction inside the car cabin.

Thank you.

Last edited by norhog : 11th May 2020 at 10:45. Reason: Addition of some sentences.
Old 11th May 2020, 17:21   #1229
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by norhog View Post
Has any one here on this forum tried this technique?
Does it actually work.?
Also, has any one taken readings of a car cabin ambient sound using a DECIBEL meter for accurately confirming, if there is indeed any drop in ambient sound inside the car cabin as compared to before installation of the damping material. (At same speed and engine RPM of course)
I think there is a bhpian who has tried this out perhaps few pages earlier from a couple of years back. I am not sure if using a decibel meter can actually confirm its sound damping characteristics. I believe there is a difference when it comes to sound damping that enhances acoustics and provides cleaner sound vs sound damping for silence.

I would also be greatly appreciative if any experts could shed some light on the same as I am soon going to be renting an apartment for myself and would like to do some diy soundproofing of the place.
IshaanIan is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 12th May 2020, 18:43   #1230
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
I think there is a bhpian who has tried this out perhaps few pages earlier from a couple of years back. I am not sure if using a decibel meter can actually confirm its sound damping characteristics. I believe there is a difference when it comes to sound damping that enhances acoustics and provides cleaner sound vs sound damping for silence.

I would also be greatly appreciative if any experts could shed some light on the same as I am soon going to be renting an apartment for myself and would like to do some diy soundproofing of the place.
I'm no expert, but what you have said is true.
1> The damping material not only absorbs sounds from outside the car [reducing the road noise], but
2> it will also reduce the flex [how the plastic or metal panels of the surfaces they are stuck on] of the panels inside the car, which will improve sound quality, and
3> can reduce rattles brought on by loose components.
4> [This is complete conjecture] They also significantly lower the resonant frequency of the panels.

Last edited by Sprucegoose : 12th May 2020 at 18:44.
Sprucegoose is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed