Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th May 2006, 19:40   #1
Senior - BHPian

The Damping Material and Sound Deadener Thread

GUrus..

What are the various Damping materials available... and what is your order of preference ... and why...

To be used in the front door... and the boot...
kb100 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th May 2006, 20:35   #2
BHPian

By far Dynamat is the most commonly and widely used Dampening Material.. There are lot of other Companies which offer them but being in India are u gonna be able to lay your hands on them.. The other company which u can get here is AZ-AudioComp which is available thru JB and Gunbir... Havent used the products so cant give review..
Cheerssss
EVO6 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th May 2006, 20:44   #3
Senior - BHPian

JB/GUnbir...

Please enlighten why you chose to distribute AZ Comp over the others??..
Old 13th May 2006, 20:57   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kb100
JB/GUnbir...

Please enlighten why you chose to distribute AZ Comp over the others??..
Well... AudioAZcomp is owned by Elettromedia (Audison). So its part of our products bouquet. Like all other Audison products, great stuff.

For your doors and boot I recommend FonoMat or Dynamat Extreme. Fonomat is available in 10"x10" pcs while the Dynamat is available in bulk rolls.

Last edited by gunbir : 13th May 2006 at 20:58.
Old 13th May 2006, 21:00   #5
Senior - BHPian

Wurth is also good for people on a budget. There's also a Chinese brand called Dynaking, looks just like Dynamat. . . that's where the similarity stops though!
Old 13th May 2006, 21:22   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunbir
Well... AudioAZcomp is owned by Elettromedia (Audison). So its part of our products bouquet. Like all other Audison products, great stuff.
Ginbir... There was that install where you had sprayed some kind of a damping gel or something on the spacer rings... GUess my question is largely about stuff like that... Other than regular mats what else is used in Damping??

Secondly how does one create a dedicated baffle for the Mid-woofer... what would the advantages be... does this have to be done to design/volume too?..
Old 13th May 2006, 21:28   #7
BHPian

The spray type damping gel is AZ Comp Fonogel. Comes in 1L bottles. Door and panel resonances are stopped by using the damping sheets. Hard to reach areas are sprayed with damping liquids.

For damping subwoofer enclosures you can use polyfibre.

Making baffle for midwoofer is mainly for spacing. Make the baffle as big as possible and damp it well to avoid resonances. If the spacing is not a problem you can screw the driver straight to the metal, make sure the metal is well damped.

Last edited by Autophile : 13th May 2006 at 21:33.
Old 13th May 2006, 22:15   #8
Senior - BHPian

I was under the impression a "BAFFLE" was some kind of an airtight enclosure in the rear of a speaker... ... What you have mentioned JB is something like a wooden spacer ring.. right? I have seen some kind of a mat with concentric circles behind them to absorb" back waves" or something./...
Old 13th May 2006, 23:07   #9
Senior - BHPian

Simply put, baffle is what separates the front and rear waves of a speaker. What JB described is more like 'front baffle'. The door will form the rest of the baffle in your case.
Old 13th May 2006, 23:18   #10
Senior - BHPian

Can it be used on the boot of the car?? Cuz it rattles like hell causing all sorts of noises..
Old 13th May 2006, 23:24   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Trouble
Simply put, baffle is what separates the front and rear waves of a speaker. What JB described is more like 'front baffle'. The door will form the rest of the baffle in your case.
Yes... I understand that.... My original question was does the REAR BAFFLE have to be of a certain specified volume??.. how to engineer this in a door?..

The same set of Mid-basses can sound different in different doors depending on the internal volume of the door ... right??...The theory is the same I presume -...
Old 14th May 2006, 01:41   #12
Senior - BHPian

What are you upto, Sujit? You sound like one of our Ice Age members now........have you been drinking the wrong stuff?
Old 14th May 2006, 11:18   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid

What are you upto, Sujit? You sound like one of our Ice Age members now........have you been drinking the wrong stuff?
LOL... You can say that Steer.... Once I get thru with mine,(and after you have auditioned it) you can handover your DICOR to me for appropriate upgrade of the aural stimulation equipment in the vehicle!!

how goeth the "give-the-Dicor-a-sting-in-the-tail" project??..
Old 14th May 2006, 13:09   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kb100
I have seen some kind of a mat with concentric circles behind them to absorb" back waves" or something....
KB100 thats a deflex pad. It helps control the back wave of the speaker.
Old 15th May 2006, 15:49   #15
BANNED

I did some sound dampening in my ALTO last week. I used WURTH and it was worth the money I should say. I used it in my all 5 doors, roof, C pillars (it was quiet difficult here) and on the floors too.

Now, the car gives me perfect sound quality from the speakers and I drive around to simply enjoy the sound system. And the best part is there's no sound disturbance outside the car. Once the windows are closed, only some humming sounds comes out of the car. And the road noise has been cut out to an extent. These dampening job took out all the vibrations, jarrings and any unwanted leakages from my car.

Guys! if you really want to enjoy sound, then get your car dampened in all essential places. The difference will be mind blowing.
speedzak is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks