Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th May 2007, 22:14   #91
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Trouble View Post
8mm thick damping??
Oh ho.....I forgot to read the thickness.....I think it will be quite a trouble to fix it.....
Old 6th May 2007, 22:23   #92
Senior - BHPian

First, You got to find a door that fits 8mm of damping sheets.
Old 7th May 2007, 01:43   #93
elf
BANNED

If it's Wurth anything, I like what you're doing shrivz. Lemme know how it goes. Maybe I'll join you in our mutual quest for non-96-thousand buck damping.

I agree it's probably not the most effective solution. But it should take care of a fair bit of road noise at a damn, damn good price.
At least in my dehaati opinion.

Dunno if the ICEr boys'll agree.
Old 7th May 2007, 01:47   #94
elf
BANNED

shrivz, any brand name or something? And any idea where I can get 2 rolls of the double side adhesive butyl rubber stuff for my car in Bombay?
Old 7th May 2007, 10:18   #95
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by elf View Post
shrivz, any brand name or something? And any idea where I can get 2 rolls of the double side adhesive butyl rubber stuff for my car in Bombay?
I like that rubber (from the pics) but not the foam. The foam will deteriorate over time and then the foam powder will get into everything.

I would take the rubber and see if one can get some cheap 0.5mm or less aluminum or SS sheets. It does not need to be reflector grade aluminum (which is all I could find besides the relfector grade was very expensive) and stick this metal (Al or SS) sheet to the rubber sheets.

Elf, I would also consider the sheet Sam used for his Verna. It would cost you about 10-12K per car (front doors, undercarpet and trunk). I also recd one sample from Delhi. The sheet was thin but when stuck on a sample sheet (300mm x 600mm) of 18GA MS it did reduce resonace quite a bit. It is 50% more expensive than Sam's stuff though.
Old 7th May 2007, 12:20   #96
BHPian

Quote:
Maybe I'll join you in our mutual quest for non-96-thousand buck damping.

I agree it's probably not the most effective solution. But it should take care of a fair bit of road noise at a damn, damn good price.
Yeah shrivz, I will definitely join in too - bank balance has me on a tight leash these days .. and I gotta get my ICE install done. So, while I'm at it, I might as well get the damping done .. and when it's this cheap ..
shrivz, any review on the material ? Damping completed ? Made a difference ?
Send me a PM as to when I can come over to take a look. If you have time, we can also pay a visit to Bhagat for my ICE install that same evening. Just let me know.
Old 7th May 2007, 13:38   #97
elf
BANNED

navin or anybody else: Any idea where I can find 0.5mm SS or Aluminium sheets? At 0.5mm, I'm thinking I'll need to look for 'varak' suppliers - the kind one finds on mithai or paan.

And why would I need to have the SS/Al foil stuck on the other side? I believe the butyl rubber sheets that shrivz has sourced comes with adhesive on both sides, with a peel off layer. Wouldn't sticking the sheet on one side & leaving the peel off layer intact also suit the purpose?

Also, could normal flex be used instead of the SS/Al sheet? That stuff's quite cheap, & because it's a plastic compound, should'nt deteriorate as fast as foam would.

Or am I missing something?

Last edited by elf : 7th May 2007 at 13:41.
Old 7th May 2007, 14:49   #98
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
navin or anybody else: Any idea where I can find 0.5mm SS or Aluminium sheets? At 0.5mm, I'm thinking I'll need to look for 'varak' suppliers - the kind one finds on mithai or paan.

Or am I missing something?
I'm not sure as to why you need metal on one side elf.

But to answer your first question.

Varak is made of edible noble metals, either pure silver (common) or pure gold. Both these metals are edible in miniscule quantities. Not Al or SS for sure.

This is precisely why varak is a few microns thick. 0.5 mm is elephantine in comparison. Varak is delicate and must use butter paper to keep it in one piece.

Lastly, SS (Fe alloy) or Al are NOWHERE near as malleable as Au or Ag. Varak suppliers wouldnt touch either of these two with a 10 foot pole.
Old 7th May 2007, 15:01   #99
elf
BANNED

Err, Sam, I was kidding about the varak.
Old 7th May 2007, 15:06   #100
Distinguished - BHPian

Oh sorry. We don't kid much in the ICE section, so I took you seriously.
Old 7th May 2007, 17:16   #101
BHPian

You two have some good chemistry going there!!
Old 7th May 2007, 20:28   #102
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post

So here's the roll when it arrived in me office. I recd 3 rolls today. So much for American Acoustics lol, it turned out to be american dynamic!! hehehe. I'm very bad with names.

Took it outside and opened it up. Looks alright. Feels like any other damping material. It's heavy and a bit soft. Good.

It's a big sheet, but I want to do some serious damping. Have decided to use all 3 sheets on front doors. A double layer pf damping, on the inner wall and outer wall.

Warming it up a bit, made it more supple and will cause the glue to catch on tighter and harder. The installer shows us that there's more than one use for a professional hair dryer lol. (PS he should have had an industrial hot air gun)

Finished the inside, now for the outside. For a car like the verna, 3 sheets in minimum for the front 2 doors. It's a bit kanjoos actually. You need about 3.5 sheets.
For a car like a skoda, you would definitely need 4 sheets. But for small and mid sized cars, 3 sheets for the front doors.

It's still not complete, the entire outer panel will be covered too.

Now to phone Anil and ask him to send 3 more rolls. I have to do the boot and the rear parcel shelf.
Now to complete the photo report of the Verna Damping:

The boot lid

The 2 front doors and the upper part of the lid of the boot was achieved with 3 sheets. I need another 3, to do the rear doors and the parcel shelf.

I am loving this material... a true deadener, the front doors feel thunkier and heavier. Even the external tap tap tap test makes me feel better about this. Full marks to the material.

For your collective information, I am ordering 27 sheets of this material. 24 are for navin (dont ask me why, ask him). 3 are for my verna. We're saving on the freight from Bangalore to Mumbai. If anyone else wants, PM me now, or hold your silence forever.

Last edited by Sam Kapasi : 7th May 2007 at 20:30.
Old 7th May 2007, 20:31   #103
Team-BHP Support

Do hot tracks have a ready supply of this or is it till stocks last? As in will he be getting more if his stock gets over.
Old 7th May 2007, 20:39   #104
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639 View Post
Do hot tracks have a ready supply of this or is it till stocks last? As in will he be getting more if his stock gets over.
I don't know. Hot Tracks has had this stock for a long while now, but haven't bothered much with marketing it. I have already booked 30 rolls, so that should lower the stock a bit, but I think they have more.

I do not know if Anil will import more, depends on the demand for it I guess.
Old 8th May 2007, 02:05   #105
elf
BANNED

Guys, what do you think about the Bardahl Ultra Coat?
HOEC BARDAHL INDIA LTD.
" Underbody Coating
Ideal protection of vehicle under body, under bonnet, door internals, boot internals, wings, wheel arches, etc. against corrosion, rust and abrasives from moisture, stone chips and road salt. Also deadens droaning noise & reduces vibrations. Enhances body life & resale value. "

Since it's a liquid, it should be easier to apply in nooks & crannies as well.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks