Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th May 2007, 18:43   #181
BHPian

[img=http://img149.imageshack.us/img149/6954/dsc0500modow8.th.jpg]
The sound deadening pads from Wurth selling for 4.5K are different from those depicted in LBM's photos. Hence the confusion. The 4.5K ones come 6 in a pack & measure 22" x 10" (550mm x 250mm). This works out to Rs500 per sq ft. LBM's came 4 in a pack & measured 36" x 18". Both are bitumen (asphalt) & not butyl based. Not sure what the AD ones are. No info available on pic posted by Sam or on web. Perhaps Sam or Navin can tell us.
Old 9th May 2007, 18:47   #182
Senior - BHPian

nura which one you are recommending any pics.....
Old 9th May 2007, 20:17   #183
elf
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
you and sam can vye for most humorous guys on this forum. ...
Sam's more humerus. His arms are longer than mine.

I still have lovely feet though.

Getting back to topic, any update shrivz? Were you able to soak & see?
Old 9th May 2007, 21:56   #184
BHPian

@ LBM - prashantk007's link leads one to believe that Second Skin's Damplifier Pro is better & cheaper than Dynamat Extreme. Prices vary from USD 3.50 to 4.50/ sq ft depending upon the quantity you buy. No idea at all if it's available in India though. For more info & pics, you can visit SSA
Old 10th May 2007, 09:16   #185
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by elf View Post
Getting back to topic, any update shrivz? Were you able to soak & see?
I met Shrivz day before yesterday and he showed me the damping material. Felt and looked quite neat. He performed a soak test for about an hour and the material did not absorb water. Congratulations Shrivz and keep us updated.
Old 10th May 2007, 09:34   #186
BHPian

ok guys.. installing the sandwitch today.. lets see how it works..
will update you guys today evening..

This is what i've decided..

Bottom layer: Rubber sheets ~ 2mm thick
Top Layer: Crosslink foam ~ 3mm thick

the previous post had wrond figures about the thickness,

total thickness is ~ 5mm

cheers!!
Old 10th May 2007, 09:42   #187
Distinguished - BHPian

Why are you putting the crosslink foam?? I have not understood this part.
Old 10th May 2007, 10:31   #188
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
Why are you putting the crosslink foam?? I have not understood this part.
Ya why are you putting the foam there.....it will hardly make any difference....
Old 10th May 2007, 11:52   #189
Team-BHP Support

Shrivz,

the foam from the pics looked like closed cell foam and might not absorb water but my experience with most foams are that they cannot handle the heat and humidity of mumbai and soon deteriorate. when they do they become small pieces or worse still powder and you dont what that powder getting into your door mechanisim or voice coils.
Old 10th May 2007, 12:37   #190
BHPian

this foam is used by automotive manufacturers as OE damping material in the pillars, roof etc.
actually this particular one is denser than what the OEMs use.

My theory is that the rubber will act as a stiffening material and the foam will to some extent absorb sound.

anyways, its a DIY, so what the heck, if I fail, I'll rip it apart and just use the rubber.. moreover its the learning that is more important to me.

Update1:
I've already installed it in the front right door (only the innermost part as of now) and there's a lot of difference.. switched the balance to the right and boy! all the minor rattles are gone, the mid-bass sounds much sweeter. Its too hot right now, will finish the door in the evening.

I also did the knock test on the doors and boy very similar results as i had observed on Sam's verna.

Overall, I'm really satisfied with the material. Now only time will tell whether the foam was a good idea or not.

cheers!
Old 10th May 2007, 12:49   #191
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrivz View Post
I also did the knock test on the doors and boy very similar results as i had observed on Sam's verna.
Sam, please call me next time. I also want to see how the knocks test is performed.
Old 10th May 2007, 12:52   #192
Distinguished - BHPian

And this is what the DIY spirit is all about.

Navin I suggest we remove all of Shrivz's and related posts from this thread and create a DIY damping thread, in the DIY section.
Old 10th May 2007, 13:02   #193
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrivz View Post
this foam is used by automotive manufacturers as OE damping material in the pillars, roof etc.
actually this particular one is denser than what the OEMs use.

My theory is that the rubber will act as a stiffening material and the foam will to some extent absorb sound.
Yes your theory is correct but the foam will absorb the high end of the music spread not the low end one.....so putting the foam in the door is of no use....only the rubber sheet is enough....I would say put a dual layer of the rubber sheet it will yield better result than a single foam and rubber sheet combination......

Last edited by low_bass_makker : 10th May 2007 at 13:04.
Old 10th May 2007, 13:30   #194
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by low_bass_makker View Post
Yes your theory is correct but the foam will absorb the high end of the music spread not the low end one.....so putting the foam in the door is of no use....only the rubber sheet is enough....I would say put a dual layer of the rubber sheet it will yield better result than a single foam and rubber sheet combination......
Thanks for the explanation LBM, i'll keep that in mind, but i still somehow feel that the foam is necessary, moreover, the rubber smells, so i'd be better off with using just the required amount, otherwise i'll have smelly door panels..

anyways.. I really appreciate everyone's explanations and encouragement.. namely EVO6 (his off the forum advice), Sam, navin, LBM and the others..

cheerss!!

Last edited by shrivz : 10th May 2007 at 13:44.
Old 10th May 2007, 17:19   #195
BHPian

Update:

I'm finally done with one door.. The finishing touches took a lot of time.. It was a timeconsuming process to listen intently and identify where and what is rattling. Finally discovered that the chrome strip on the Baleno's door was rattling, so putin a layer of rubber and the rattle went.. There's still one very minor rattle, havent been able to identify it yet..

forgot to take pics this time, will take pics and post when im doing the next door, thats hopefully on sunday.

The door's vibration is now neligible even at high volumes as compared to earlier, theres a big difference between both doors. This material has surely worked for me.. I'd say its total paisa vasool...

this is one happy DIYer signing off..

cheersss!

Last edited by shrivz : 10th May 2007 at 17:22.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks