Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th May 2007, 10:31   #271
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUSA View Post
I got my Swift damped today with Dynamat Extreme, quite nice indeed but not at all cheap.
How much did it cost you? Care to explain the number of sheets/rolls required and the areas that you damped? Some pics would help too
Old 30th May 2007, 18:31   #272
elf
BANNED

How're you performing, Shrivz?

And how's the damping?
Old 31st May 2007, 00:00   #273
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by d.kiran View Post
When you mean that AD is not good for isolation, you mean it is not good at blocking road/wind noise?
just road noise. I dont think any damping material can help with wind noise.
Old 31st May 2007, 01:16   #274
elf
BANNED

Yep. With wind noise, you'd have to first isolate the source. Then probably redesign/reengineer the part. Not really DIY. Unless you're navin.

And for the thick ones out there, that's a compliment.
Old 31st May 2007, 09:56   #275
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by elf View Post
Yep. With wind noise, you'd have to first isolate the source. Then probably redesign/reengineer the part. Not really DIY. Unless you're navin..
Actually Mercedes benz (dual glazed glass) has managed to do this quite well. I am sure others have too but I have not expereinced other cars in this class (Lexus, Audi, etc..).
Old 31st May 2007, 10:07   #276
BHPian

Its been sometime now since i've installed the sandwitch..

I'm really happy with it and there is a noticable reduction in road noise and those components sound much much better...

now honestly, I really wouldnt be able to compare the sandwitch with other materials since I havent heard a baleno with the same setup which is damped by another material. But from what is noticable, all rattles from the door panels have vanished. I'm getting better vocals and smoother mid-bass.

overall, its a successful DIY install... and just to confirm, the car does not smell of butyl rubber since I was worried about this. It did give a slight smell for about a day, but it then vanished..

cheers!
Old 31st May 2007, 11:00   #277
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
Actually Mercedes benz (dual glazed glass) has managed to do this quite well. I am sure others have too but I have not expereinced other cars in this class (Lexus, Audi, etc..).
Ya they are two glass sandwich with a liitle air inside them...this helps in both sound and heat control also....
Old 31st May 2007, 11:45   #278
elf
BANNED

navin, dual glazed windows might not be the solution to wind noise - it simply eliminates the symptom of one sensing the noise whilst riding in the vehicle. It doesn't eliminate the source of the noise itself.

Besides, I tried to see if I could create dual glazed windows for my car a few years back when I read about the technology on the then new S Class - one needs to create a vaccuum between the glazing, wider door channels all around for the now thicker profile of the glass, a more powerful window winder motor, & lotsa luck with alignment.

Not something that can be done easily at your local garage by either Ramprasad or Shafique.
Old 31st May 2007, 12:21   #279
Senior - BHPian

the normal windows are generally 1/8 of the inch or near but the merc window are thick as much as 1/2 inch due to dual glass ....with this thick glass there is bound to have better insulation of heat, sound (because of insulation between them).......so replicating this type of stuff will be a little difficult task but if one manage to do it the result will be quite good....
Old 3rd June 2007, 03:54   #280
BHPian

Quote:
it gets complicated right? Now you know why i dont talk about what I use. Few care, and fewer understand and a few even think of me as the ultimate scavenger/cheapskate.
Some posts are better left unread by new comers. And not a Cheapskate, I would rather call you as ultimate DIY guy.

Last edited by austere_sly : 3rd June 2007 at 03:58.
Old 3rd June 2007, 10:06   #281
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by elf View Post
Not something that can be done easily at your local garage by either Ramprasad or Shafique.
just to confirm I talked to Ram Prasad and he had not even heard of double glased glass. I did offer me a glazed donut though.

SO I called up Shafique who BTW now prefers to call himself SHA(fi)Q-Ue as in "SHAQ-U". He said he could do this mod but it would cost an arm and a leg and it would be cheaper to just buy a car that has this standard esp since one can then get heated seats, aircon, an engine, a chassis etc.. all for free. I asked hi why so he talked about polishing the guides to a N7 finish and using high torque motors with servo control and all that engine-vengine stuff.
Old 3rd June 2007, 11:11   #282
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The best car that we have experienced in this regard is the Presidents MB Limousine. The bulletproof double sandwich glass is almost 2" thick! You can stand next to the car and shout the choicest expletives at the occupants but they're not gonna hear a word.

There are more engineering marvels in that car but I guess Its better left unsaid.

Quote:
and using high torque motors with servo control
Actually, you will need hydraulic actuators.

Last edited by gunbir : 3rd June 2007 at 11:13.
Old 3rd August 2007, 16:02   #283
BHPian

Sound Factor in Bangalore has Pyle and Scosche brand of damping sheets. Anyone has any feedback on those brands ?
Old 3rd August 2007, 16:22   #284
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmbabu View Post
Sound Factor in Bangalore has Pyle and Scosche brand of damping sheets. Anyone has any feedback on those brands ?
What is the cost of these about stated brands...
Old 3rd August 2007, 16:25   #285
BHPian

LBM,

Approximately 1500/- for 2 sheets.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks