Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th August 2007, 16:50   #301
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
In fact the metal panels of the NHC were so resonant I found that the Verna was better. Then I compared the Elantra to the Civic and found the Elantra was better. I hence feel that Hyundai seems to be doing a better job with damping. Anyone has other observations?
hi navin,

from what i remeber, honda's ARE tinny. but it was the favorite cause no other car could match its peformance at the time.

i have had 3 ohc's. the type1 was good. i bought it as soon it was launched.(1.5l) the car felt solid. it went upto 1.5l kms and there were no rattles. then i got a black OHC type 2. it wasnt as good as the type1. i replaced it with an octy after driving 35k kms(it started rattling alot). still had another type2 ohc(all 3 1500cc) it was sold after 60k kms. this was the worst.

from my experience with the hondas, i can safely say these cars were difficult to ice. the front speakers would get as loud outside as it was in the car.

Next up was palio. amazing build quality. i used to only drive this car because the ICE used to sound really nice with no noise outside(no vaibrating boot lid etc)

now i drive a Hyundai Accent crdi. it doesn't rattle at all. no vibes from the boot, doors. even before damping the boot there were little vibes from the license plate. it has a decent build quality(better than honda IMHO)

This is my opinon so some one else' might differ. the ICE system was shifted from one car to another and the equipment through out was almost the same.

cheers
clip
Old 5th August 2007, 17:34   #302
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by low_bass_makker View Post
sir what is the size of the sheets. is it 12 x 12 inches.
It should arrive in a day or two. Will tell you then. The catalogue has confused me.
Old 5th August 2007, 20:27   #303
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by nura View Post
How many sheets of Fonomat should I be looking at for damping my Santro?
I would assume the Santro would need as much as my mom NHC.

I used 8 sheets on the NHC, 6 on the Sail, 8 on the Octy (in addition to 2 sheets of Extreme but it a much larger car) and now I am actually thinking of redoing the NHC's front doors with more damping. The sheets we had we larger than 12" x 12".
Old 5th August 2007, 22:40   #304
BHPian

Quote:

I used 8 sheets on the NHC, 6 on the Sail, 8 on the Octy (in addition to 2 sheets of Extreme but it a much larger car) and now I am actually thinking of redoing the NHC's front doors with more damping. The sheets we had we larger than 12" x 12".
Does the thickness of the sheet also matter?
Old 6th August 2007, 09:13   #305
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by nura View Post
Does the thickness of the sheet also matter?
not really but it's damping ability does. Sometimes thickness is related to damping ability.
Old 6th August 2007, 12:13   #306
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Navin, from the photos posted by Sam, those AD sheets you have used looked like 1m x 1m (app. 3' x 3'). How much did the AD sheets cost you per sheet effectively?

Hot Tracks quoted (on phone) 1400/- per AD sheet, so the effective cost would be 155/sq.ft. Economical enough, @LBM?

I have been procrastinating for long damping my Safari (isn't too bad, but the FRP panels act up sometimes). Any idea how many sheets (3x3) would that take?

@B&T, how many sq.ft app. did you use in the Sierra?

IMHO, the panel resonance in cars also depends on the area without discontinuities, such as troughs and promininent fold lines. E.g. Santro and OHC doors are large plain panels, whereas Accent and Elantra doors have both troughs (for the door protection strip) and folds.
Old 6th August 2007, 12:30   #307
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
Hot Tracks quoted (on phone) 1400/- per AD sheet, so the effective cost would be 155/sq.ft. Economical enough, @LBM?
Yes sir it is ....but first check which area vibrate then damp it. no need to fill the car with damping in the first go. But the front doors are very necessary.
Old 6th August 2007, 12:49   #308
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
@B&T, how many sq.ft app. did you use in the Sierra?
Not much in the Sierra. Never had anything exotic in the car so didnt bother. All the damping has gone into the company Palio and a little bit in the Wagon R.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte
IMHO, the panel resonance in cars also depends on the area without discontinuities, such as troughs and promininent fold lines. E.g. Santro and OHC doors are large plain panels, whereas Accent and Elantra doors have both troughs (for the door protection strip) and folds.
Larger the continuous panel without any support, frame, fold etc, lower the resonant frequency and the potential displacement. Thats why when someone is on a budget, I recommend to use patches of damping to reduce the effective panel size.

For most cars, you need about 10-15 sq. ft per door to really toughen it up. Inner skin + door frame + door panel.
Old 6th August 2007, 13:36   #309
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
How much did the AD sheets cost you per sheet effectively?

Hot Tracks quoted (on phone) 1400/- per AD sheet, so the effective cost would be 155/sq.ft. Economical enough, @LBM?.
I think those numbers look right. I asked Sam (who was getting some for himself) to get me 24 sheets (4 boxes of 6).

BTW the NHC was the only car out of the 3 I damped that resonated so much that I may be forced to damp even the rear doors. I have a sft corner for the CVT tranny (for reasons that can be discssed on another part of this forum) but the car really needs better interiors and paneling. If Hyundai can do it why not Honda?
Old 6th August 2007, 22:17   #310
BHPian

6x1400=8400. Doesn't sound too bad. Does it add a lot of weight to the car?

@navin, can you tell me how many sheets you used and where in the NHC? I have no idea about damping and you know what they say about imitation being the best form of flattery.

When you damp the trunk, is it only the under carpet area or the entire area including the sides and underneath the lid?
Old 7th August 2007, 00:37   #311
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by d.kiran View Post
6x1400=8400. Doesn't sound too bad. Does it add a lot of weight to the car?

@navin, can you tell me how many sheets you used and where in the NHC? I have no idea about damping and you know what they say about imitation being the best form of flattery.

When you damp the trunk, is it only the under carpet area or the entire area including the sides and underneath the lid?
No it will not add too much weight..

when the boot is damped First I will go with the boot lid , second the side walls and lastly the under carpet area.
Old 22nd August 2007, 17:22   #312
Senior - BHPian

Dampening Mat !!!

Guys I need dampening mat for mah getz.. Please tell give me details of the person in delhi who sells them..
Thanks
Chiragh

Note from the Support Staff: Thread merged with existing. Please continue discussion here.

Last edited by aah78 : 22nd August 2007 at 20:28. Reason: threads merged. note put up.
Old 22nd August 2007, 17:25   #313
BANNED

Whats a dampening mat?
Old 22nd August 2007, 17:29   #314
Senior - BHPian

these mats helps decreasing the un wanted vibrations caused by speakers or woofers
Old 22nd August 2007, 17:31   #315
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiragh_bir View Post
Guys I need dampening mat for mah getz.. Please tell give me details of the person in delhi who sells them..
Thanks
Chiragh
you can contact LBM/Gunbir for that.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks