Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment

Search this Thread
Old 17th May 2007, 14:55   #226
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
The easiest (but messy) way to make a panel stiff is to use resin bonded fiberglass mat.
hi navinji,

i need a little help regarding resin bonded fibre glass.

can you please post a how to guide for the above. i dont know what quantity to use(resin etc). let me make this simple.

i want to build fibre glass stuff for my car but dont know a thing about it. it would be great if you or anyone could give details on how to build fibre glass step by step.

if possibe also explain how to make FG enclosures. if there is anything on the net please let me know. :-)

thanks
Navin
Old 17th May 2007, 15:25   #227
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clipto333 View Post
hi navinji,

i need a little help regarding resin bonded fibre glass.

can you please post a how to guide for the above. i dont know what quantity to use(resin etc). let me make this simple.

i want to build fibre glass stuff for my car but dont know a thing about it. it would be great if you or anyone could give details on how to build fibre glass step by step.

if possibe also explain how to make FG enclosures. if there is anything on the net please let me know. :-)

thanks
Navin
whats wrong with you kid? you are using someone else's name. please dont make such mistakes. lol

clip
Old 18th May 2007, 00:19   #228
Team-BHP Support

Clip this is a car forum. If you want to know about Resin Bonded Fiberglass (FRP) the internet would be a better to start. It would be seriously OT on this forum. Be warned it is messy and the learning curve if you are not handy can be stiff.
Old 18th May 2007, 03:21   #229
elf
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
Clip this is a car forum. If you want to know about Resin Bonded Fiberglass (FRP) the internet would be a better to start. It would be seriously OT on this forum. Be warned it is messy and the learning curve if you are not handy can be stiff.
Don't mean to be antagonistic or anything, navin G, but fibreglass installation could very much pertain to automobiles, both as a sound insulator, a stiffener, as well as a rust inhibitor, and hence, would contribute greatly to the available knowlege on the forum.

Relevance to this thread too would not be in question, though another thread could be started. Although it could be a VFM damper.

At least in my humble opinion.
Old 18th May 2007, 04:58   #230
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by elf View Post
Don't mean to be antagonistic or anything, navin G, but fibreglass installation could very much pertain to automobiles, both as a sound insulator, a stiffener, as well as a rust inhibitor, and hence, would contribute greatly to the available knowlege on the forum.

Relevance to this thread too would not be in question, though another thread could be started. Although it could be a VFM damper.

At least in my humble opinion.
my earlier post - i want to build fibre glass stuff for my car but dont know a thing about it. it would be great if you or anyone could give details on how to build fibre glass step by step.

hi,

yes sir FG fabrication i asked about was for car use. i wanted to try out sub enclosure after that door panels etc etc. damping as well. i think it would be better if i start a new thread in DIY section. i might get into professional installation and it would be very helpful to hav experience before hand.

navinji i just asked you because you have experience on your side and you could better explain than googling. never mind there are tons of info on FG. but an indian can explain much better. you know the indian name for the materials(im assuming) used.

thanks
clip

Last edited by clipto333 : 18th May 2007 at 05:00.
Old 18th May 2007, 09:23   #231
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by elf View Post
Don't mean to be antagonistic or anything, navin G, but fibreglass installation could very much pertain to automobiles, both as a sound insulator, a stiffener, as well as a rust inhibitor, and hence, would contribute greatly to the available knowlege on the forum...At least in my humble opinion.
Elfie what you said is true. Fiberglas has variety of uses but in different forms.

As a insluator it is used in 1/2" or 3/4" or even 1-2" thick mat. I even suggest covering that mat with a fine cotton cloth to prevent the fibers from getting too loose.

As a stiffener it would need to be mixed with Resin. What I do is use woven fiberglas mat (not the unwoven kind) this mat has a weave that looks like a basket weave (if you know what i mean) and once I spread this mat over the area I want to sitffen I pour a resin I get from Dr. Beck's. I forget the exact model number of this resin but if you remind me again after tuesday I can find it and get back.

As a rust inhibhitor fiberglass is best uses as pre fab panels replacing exisitng steel sheet. Fiberglass does not rust! For a good finish one needs a mould and needs to sand and paint the panel after it is installed.
Old 18th May 2007, 12:57   #232
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrivz View Post
Update:

I'm finally done with one door.. The finishing touches took a lot of time.. It was a timeconsuming process to listen intently and identify where and what is rattling. Finally discovered that the chrome strip on the Baleno's door was rattling, so putin a layer of rubber and the rattle went.. There's still one very minor rattle, havent been able to identify it yet..

forgot to take pics this time, will take pics and post when im doing the next door, thats hopefully on sunday.

The door's vibration is now neligible even at high volumes as compared to earlier, theres a big difference between both doors. This material has surely worked for me.. I'd say its total paisa vasool...

this is one happy DIYer signing off..

cheersss!
hey bro can you please the pics of the damping install? or atleast of the material used?in my car there had been cases of front door rattles due to the midbass components installed.as suggested by ice gods in the forum,i did remove tht plastic covers.it really did hell of difference but still at times when i increase the volume the rattles come back.also the bass from the woofer of the components is not tight.
Old 18th May 2007, 19:19   #233
Senior - BHPian

How good is brand Alfasony for damping?
Old 19th May 2007, 10:49   #234
Team-BHP Support

Stick with the topic here guys! Don't do an "ICE Forum" on this thread as well. Even though it is in the ICE forum!
Old 19th May 2007, 11:01   #235
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rtech View Post
Stick with the topic here guys! Don't do an "ICE Forum" on this thread as well. Even though it is in the ICE forum!
Navin Ji can you make a new thread for the subwoofer under the front dash so that it will help those who are interested and we leave this thread dedicated for damping purpose only.....
Old 22nd May 2007, 12:48   #236
Distinguished - BHPian

Have received 36 rolls of AD damping in my office today. Am handing over 24 rolls to Navin.
Old 22nd May 2007, 13:40   #237
Team-BHP Support

Here is some VFM damping product which was nice and thick. Say about 7 mm thick and nicely composed. I compared it with a piece of Dynamat extreme lying in the corner of the same room where I saw this and found this to be better. Only downside was it is not self adhesive:

B&T can you shed more light on this product please?
Old 22nd May 2007, 13:48   #238
Senior - BHPian

err kiran from what I have read so far, isnt this too thick ??
Old 22nd May 2007, 13:50   #239
Senior - BHPian

7mm is way to thick. Ideally 2mm is enough.
Old 22nd May 2007, 13:54   #240
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
err kiran from what I have read so far, isnt this too thick ??
Quote:
Originally Posted by BUSA View Post
7mm is way to thick. Ideally 2mm is enough.
I am not sure about the thickness. 7 mm is just an estimate. It could be less. Sorry for causing confusion.

Most Viewed