Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th May 2007, 11:39   #256
Senior - BHPian

Hmm this one Navin Ji...
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/366626-post57.html

but we cannot see the rear speakers only the subs....and there is a Alpine amp also...

No no atleast I dont think like that ......we all know that you love DIY and we really appreciate it...also stuff in your car will be one of the kind....would love to hear your car and see the custom made crossovers when ever I drop by in mumbai in coming times...

Last edited by low_bass_makker : 24th May 2007 at 11:43.
Old 24th May 2007, 11:43   #257
Distinguished - BHPian

I think Ragu, a.k.a. LBM is a cheapskate and doesn't spend enough money on his car audio.
Old 24th May 2007, 11:59   #258
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
I think Ragu, a.k.a. LBM is a cheapskate and doesn't spend enough money on his car audio.
Hmm...what...when...how...so now I think I have to buy 6000gti to make Sam Bhai feel that I am not a cheapstake........and spend a little on audio....
Old 24th May 2007, 12:00   #259
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by low_bass_makker View Post
Hmm this one Navin Ji...
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/366626-post57.html

but we cannot see the rear speakers only the subs....and there is a Alpine amp also......
Yes that is the sub. There is also the Alpine 340 and Blau 275 in the pics. But if you look closely you will see the tweeter cover above the woofer, the rear end of the vifa woofer covered in yellow foam, and my son's necvox DVD/VCD changer.
Old 24th May 2007, 12:03   #260
Team-BHP Support

...and there goes the thread again!
Old 24th May 2007, 12:08   #261
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rtech View Post
...and there goes the thread again!
Gentlemen, our beloved moderator Rtech visits this thread as he has an interest in Damping. Please note that the damping is not to improve his ICE, he is merely piggybacking on our hard work to make his car "thunkier" and reduce road noise.

However, this thread will be visited by a non-ice moderator who is loved by all, so it is requested to keep it slightly less chaotic for his benefit.

I thank you kindly for this co-operation from the bottom of my bowels.
Old 24th May 2007, 12:09   #262
Team-BHP Support

True Rtech, guys we have been warned!
Old 24th May 2007, 12:11   #263
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
...he is merely piggybacking on our hard work to make his car "thunkier" and reduce road noise..
Sam, reducing road noise also leads to better enjoyment of ICE so there...
Old 24th May 2007, 12:16   #264
Team-BHP Support

hehe. As Sam says, any benefit to ICE is simply a byproduct, and not the real reason behind it for me!

***runs outa the ICE forum***
Old 24th May 2007, 12:25   #265
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rtech View Post
hehe. As Sam says, any benefit to ICE is simply a byproduct, and not the real reason behind it for me!

***runs outa the ICE forum***
Someday Rtech will be back here lookig for us to ICE his bike. Just wait. Patience is a virtue.
Old 25th May 2007, 20:18   #266
Team-BHP Support

Ok I got 24 rolls of American Dynamics.

I sent 12 to my ICE-lady and also my wife's car. She used 5 rolls for the Corsa Sail.

1 on each door, one under the front carpet (each side) and one on the rear deck (which was already reinforced with resin bonded fiberglass). The doors dont rattle as much (I think they need 2 more sheets), the sound isolation (from road noise) has been the most noticeable change and the rear deck still needs a bit more work. On Monday I will give her my car and while she is doing that (I expect the Octy to consume 8 sheets) I will spend some time in my wife's car. Then my wife's car goes back for final damping while I listen to the Octy.

Damping and Isolation in a car is not a very exact science. I dont want to use too much or too little.

By the time both cars are done, compoents for my mom's car should arrive and we will ICE and damp that car.
Old 28th May 2007, 17:29   #267
BHPian

Are American Dynamics available in Chennai?
Can anyone point me to a dealer here who does a good damping job?
Old 29th May 2007, 19:27   #268
Senior - BHPian

I got my Swift damped today with Dynamat Extreme, quite nice indeed but not at all cheap.
Old 29th May 2007, 22:08   #269
Team-BHP Support

Ok after damping 2 cars with AD this is what i noticed.

a) AD is not in the league of Extreme but is far better VFM.
b) AD does a good job with resonance damping but is not that great with isolation. I have used 5 sheets in my wife's sail and 7 in my Octavia (I also have 2 sheets of Extreme in my Octy).

I believe that a second layer of AD might be required for AD to meet Extreme's damping abilities. Still AD would work out cheaper.

For isolation alternate materials would be needed. I have sent my wife's sail for underbody damping using Wurth (courtesy Viper). Lets see what that does.

I also took 3 small sections of 18 GA steel and on one I stuck some damping material that I looks similar to what LBM uses (the red stuff that Gunbir sells) on another I stuck a similar section of AD and I left the third as a reference.

Then I hung each section from a wire (like a gong) and tapped each with a hammer. On the damping the AD performed better than the Red stuff. But that may well be becuase AD is heavier and would drop resonance to below my threashold of hearing. This after wall was NOT a scientific test.
Old 29th May 2007, 22:59   #270
BHPian

Navin,

I am new at this so please bear with me.

When you mean that AD is not good for isolation, you mean it is not good at blocking road/wind noise? But it is good for absorbing the back waves?

I can see from the forums that AD is around 1400 per sheet, but I could not find the Dynamat prices. How much would the difference be if I damped my car (Trunk, Under the carpets, C Pillars) between the two.

Also, the wind noise in City is extremely high (as opposed to road noise), would this help in reducing the wind noise as well? Do I need to damp any other areas to reduce the wind noise?

I seem to be absorbing the knowledge here without contributing anything back :-(. Thanks for the help.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks