Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th January 2014, 18:18   #1021
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post

Glass wool ('fiber glass') was used earlier, but now one uses 'Poly-fill' or synthetic wool - a variety of which is used to fill cushions and pillows. It is wool (as in raw thin fibers, not spun) made from a polymer.
I'm even more confused now! The glass wool that I remember resembled cotton candy. How can one stuff that directly into the door innards? Won't it hamper the controls? Also, what prevents gravity from acting on it?

Quote:

In that budget…
You misunderstood. I was talking about the material cost of neoprene rubber, foam and glue that I require for my fix. Not my target spend.
Old 9th January 2014, 21:09   #1022
BHPian

Re: The Damping Material and Sound Deadener Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by schakravarthy View Post
Agreed Sir. But don't you feel what I said is similar?
Method is same, but the density and mass of the material are different. The neoprene rubber sheet which I am aware of is very less dense and mass than the other materials mentioned.

Quote:
Btw, what's the size and weight of the sheet?
It comes in rolls and I bought a 20mtr x 4ft roll
It weighs ~100gms (1.5mm thick) per sqft

Quote:
I felt that the rubber will take care of the higher frequencies and the 2 layers of foam will filter the lower frequencies.
If you are looking for sound absorption for the speakers, then its only a myth.

Quote:
Can you please share more details of 'Synth wool'? It sounds interesting.
http://www.anutone.com/panelling/synth
It composition is different than the polyform used in upholstery. It has an NRC of ~.6 to .7 (for a 600gsm and 1.5" thick)
I used the left over from my HT room

Quote:
Rs.3.5k max
I spent ~1200/- for the bitumen sheet full roll (for the front doors I might have spent ~600/-), fevicol SR : 150/-, DIY effort, altogether ~750-800/- for the front doors and the result is far better damping than the commercial ones.

Last edited by ::CMS:: : 9th January 2014 at 21:22.
Old 9th January 2014, 21:27   #1023
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ::CMS:: View Post

If you are looking for sound absorption for the speakers, then its only a myth.
Its not about the ICE. The aim is to make the cabin silent. Main area of concern is the engine noise.
Old 9th January 2014, 21:46   #1024
BHPian

Quote:
Main area of concern is the engine noise.
It can create issues during rainy season or during washing, water will get collected. Also excessive heat will degrade the foam in long run.
Old 9th January 2014, 21:54   #1025
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ::CMS:: View Post
It can create issues during rainy season or during washing, water will get collected. Also excessive heat will degrade the foam in long run.
They are water resistant, that much I know for sure. The local upholsterer, from whom I'm buying the material, says he uses these sheets regularly in Jeep engine bays. He swears they are heat resistant. He calls them thermo-foam. I'm not sure how accurate the name is though. Anyone know its proper industrial name?
Old 9th January 2014, 21:55   #1026
Senior - BHPian

To reduce engine noise ingress, you will have to apply sound absorption/deadening material to the firewall and in case it is a Diesel engine or a European petrol engine then the inner side of the bonnet too.

That however will not take care of the road and tire noise intruding in to the cabin. For this the floor pan, kick panels, parcel tray, area beneath the rear seat, the boot lid, boot floor and the rear number plate in addition to the door panels will need to be covered. Ciao

Quote:
Its not about the ICE. The aim is to make the cabin silent. Main area of concern is the engine noise.
Old 9th January 2014, 22:10   #1027
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
To reduce engine noise ingress, you will have to apply sound absorption/deadening material to the firewall and in case it is a Diesel engine or a European petrol engine then the inner side of the bonnet too.

That however will not take care of the road and tire noise intruding in to the cabin. For this the floor pan, kick panels, parcel tray, area beneath the rear seat, the boot lid, boot floor and the rear number plate in addition to the door panels will need to be covered. Ciao
Firewall is definitely in my to-do list. I'm trying to figure out if it can be a DIY, or if I need to bribe a Fiat technician for a Sunday 'consultation'.

Road and tyre noises are not a major concern for me. The cabin is pretty silent even now, it's just the diesel rattle that's driving me to opt for such measures. Plus, if I choose to reinforce the floor area, I'll have to tear apart the floor mat that I have.
So, its just the 5 doors, spare wheel well, firewall and as you pointed out, inner side of the bonnet.
Old 9th January 2014, 22:31   #1028
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Firewall is definitely in my to-do list. I'm trying to figure out if it can be a DIY, or if I need to bribe a Fiat technician for a Sunday 'consultation'.

Road and tyre noises are not a major concern for me. The cabin is pretty silent even now, it's just the diesel rattle that's driving me to opt for such measures. Plus, if I choose to reinforce the floor area, I'll have to tear apart the floor mat that I have.
So, its just the 5 doors, spare wheel well, firewall and as you pointed out, inner side of the bonnet.
Its actually the opposite regarding the firewall and floor.

I had taken off my dashboard for AC Servicing and thought I'd paste these sheets everywhere on the firewall for additional soundproofing. It turns out that the mats behind the dash is fiarly complex shaped and very easy to tear off. Plus there was already lot of soundproofing material so left it as-is.

Floor mats can be removed and put back without tearing though.
SunnyBoi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th January 2014, 22:33   #1029
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyBoi View Post
Its actually the opposite regarding the firewall and floor.

I had taken off my dashboard for AC Servicing.
Now I know where to come for dashboard removal!
Old 9th January 2014, 22:34   #1030
Senior - BHPian

I see you have a Punto, which is generally very silent and infact has less road noise ingress compared to say my TJet.

I would very strongly recommend against removing the Punto's dashboard. I have seen a Linea with it's dash removed and the area behind is occupied by a nearly 3" dia anti collision beam/bar. This also acts as a support for mounting the dash. Rest of the area is full of various wire harnesses, air conditioning channels and control module for the MID etc. Punto would be similar, so you will not be able to insulate that area at all.

It is best to damp the area beneath the dash, this will be simpler and the carpet in the Fiat is easily remove able. For the bonnet' sinner side you can obtain the damping material that comes with the Emotion and Sports variant from Fiat itself.

Quote:

Old 9th January 2014, 22:44   #1031
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
For the bonnet' sinner side you can obtain the damping material that comes with the Emotion and Sports variant from Fiat itself.
I thought it was the same across all variants. Mine is a '09 model MJD Emotion (not 'Pack'). Will mine be different from the current spec?
Old 10th January 2014, 01:11   #1032
Senior - BHPian

I don't think it will be any different from the current models. As for the variants, i did not know that all of them came with damping.

Quote:
I thought it was the same across all variants. Mine is a '09 model MJD Emotion (not 'Pack'). Will mine be different from the current spec?
Old 10th January 2014, 17:08   #1033
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I'm even more confused now! The glass wool that I remember resembled cotton candy. How can one stuff that directly into the door innards? Won't it hamper the controls? Also, what prevents gravity from acting on it? ...
Gravity does act on it, but not enough to bring down the very light, loosely interwoven fibers, especially when glued on as a thick lamina.

Perhaps @::CMS:: can post a few pics of his door innards for a better understanding?

Quote:
... You misunderstood. I was talking about the material cost of neoprene rubber, foam and glue that I require for my fix. Not my target spend.
Did I?

Quote:
They are water resistant, that much I know for sure. The local upholsterer, from whom I'm buying the material, says he uses these sheets regularly in Jeep engine bays. He swears they are heat resistant. He calls them thermo-foam. I'm not sure how accurate the name is though. Anyone know its proper industrial name?
There is a similar material used for thermal insulation in HVAC installations. It is a dense foam similar to Yoga mats. I think it is rated to high enough a temperature that it will not melt in the engine compartment (which sees local temperatures upto 60-65C).

IIRC there is a reference to this material either earlier in this thread, or in a thread in the DIY section.
Old 10th January 2014, 19:49   #1034
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
...very light, loosely interwoven fibers, especially when glued on as a thick lamina.
Is this that?

Name:  ForumRunner_20140110_194800.png
Views: 3214
Size:  885.6 KB
Old 22nd January 2014, 18:48   #1035
BANNED

Greetings
I got a lovely Chinese made material for stitching a new soft top for my Gyspy. But it is too thin by a few mm than the original factory soft top. Got a rubberized coating on the inside. I am thinking of pasting a damping material all along on the inside to make it thicker and also add some sound proofing.

What material do you recommend? Since it will be my inside roof anything shiny silver metallic finish cannot be used.

Ideally I would like to paste it on the inside completely and the soft top material cut and stitched after that. But if thats not possible, I will just stick it on the inside after it has been cut and stitched to shape. Of course I'll depend on the soft top tailor to do it. I just need some 1x1 feet samples to show him first and get his opinion on what is feasible.

Thanks for any suggestions.

--R

Last edited by Ragul : 22nd January 2014 at 18:50.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks