Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th December 2011, 12:31   #871
Distinguished - BHPian

Tried damping the under-side of the Ikon's bonnet. Did not help sound deadening.

Process:
* Cleaned the hood. First with water, and then with a cleaner ("Formula1 Bike Clean" spray).
* Made templates to the size of the gaps that you see in the first pic.
* Cut pieces of the damping sheet - but about 2mm bigger than the shape seen here.
* Peel the sheet that protects the adhesive side.
* Placed the cut piece into the slots. It is easy to push the extra edges into the gaps.
* Use a hair-dryer, or even a candle to heat up the peice.
* Apply presssure to get the damping sheet piece to stick to the bonnet. Use a round object that you can roll on the pieces.
* Note: work on one piece at a time.

The Damping Material and Sound Deadener Thread-ikonhoodstock1.jpg

The Damping Material and Sound Deadener Thread-ikonhooddamped1.jpg

Went out for a drive in the evening. Did not make much difference in the noise levels inside the cabin. For owners of the Ikon TDCi, I will not suggest this.

Amount of damping material used: about 75% of the sheet.
Old 12th December 2011, 12:34   #872
BHPian

Re: The Damping Material and Sound Deadener Thread

I think a thick cloth-like material would have helped.
Old 12th December 2011, 12:37   #873
Distinguished - BHPian

@Abhipuru, that was the first thing I tried - almost 3 yrs back

I would place my bets on the firewall, but it's not accessible from the engine bay. Plannning to damp the floor next.
Old 12th December 2011, 14:59   #874
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Used Focal for Damping 4 doors in the Aria.

1) Work Done with MotorSounds Mulund - Bombay.
2) Car - Aria
3) Scope - 4 Doors
4) Brand - Focal
5) Size - 4 sheets of 1' X1' in total. Used around each of the door speaker fitting and in the area right behind it.
6) Cost - Rs. 3000 - could have been negotiated to 2800 - didn't bother. (Rs. 1500 for front doors only)
7) Time 1.5 hrs.
8) Quality of work done - Very good.
9) Sound - Much better bass. Vibrations from Doors reduced.
10) Aria comes with some amount of sound Dampening in the doors from the factory itself.
11) The material is 6 mm think. One roll (box) comes in size 50 cm X 200 cm = 1 Sq mtr. MRP about 7500.

The material is three times the thickness of most other material recommended on this thread. (2mm) but it fits and works.

Also did not do the whole door as is suggested at many places in this thread. The full doors attempt would have costed me 25-30K for 4 doors. The material is more expensive than Dynamat Extreme as well.
ACM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th December 2011, 15:58   #875
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Tried damping the under-side of the Ikon's bonnet. Did not help sound deadening. ...
Arey @condor-ji, kiska joota kiska sir (किसका जूता किसका सिर)!!! The bonnet does not produce vibration noise with all that metal reinforcement on the underside - the individual resonators are too small. The culprits are usually large undamped / unreinforced (even a bend, fold, flute or weld is a reinforcement) *large* expanses of sheet metal. Apply damping to only those areas.

The firewall is damped on the footwell side, not engine side.
DerAlte is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th December 2011, 19:16   #876
Distinguished - BHPian

Sirji, trying .. trying different options.

That was a DIY. This time thinking of a proper FNG job - pull out the seats, the carpet & a full layer of damping sheets - May be a little extra towards the firewall.

The Ikon's NVH is quite bad. Hence the efforts

But thanks. Will keep that in mind when I work on the next steps.
Old 15th December 2011, 00:22   #877
Senior - BHPian

Any suggestions for a shop in Hyderabad which does damping?
Old 17th December 2011, 14:41   #878
BHPian

My wagon R has very high NVH levels, i want to make the cabin free from outside noise.
Would damping be effective in reducing the outside noise ?
If yes then how much do i require to make the cabin noise free ?
And how much cost i am looking at ?
Would noisekill do ? I guess its the budget solution , or any other options.
Not from ice perspective , want to make the cabin noise free.

Last edited by k2max6 : 17th December 2011 at 14:43.
Old 19th December 2011, 15:04   #879
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by k2max6 View Post
My wagon R has very high NVH levels, i want to make the cabin free from outside noise.
Would damping be effective in reducing the outside noise ?
If yes then how much do i require to make the cabin noise free ?
And how much cost i am looking at ?
Would noisekill do ? I guess its the budget solution , or any other options.
Not from ice perspective , want to make the cabin noise free.
1. Firstly it is not advisable to make the cabin totally free from noise from the outside. You need to hear the traffic, horns, etc becuase wihtout that peripheral information the number of accidents will increase dramatically.

2. The only area you can damp is the door panels. Much of the ambient noise comes via the window jams and glass area.

3. Damping the metal panels and underbody will reduce some of the external noise but dont expect silence. Given the above, i would expect a noise reduction of about 20%.
Old 19th December 2011, 15:51   #880
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
1. Firstly it is not advisable to make the cabin totally free from noise from the outside. You need to hear the traffic, horns, etc becuase wihtout that peripheral information the number of accidents will increase dramatically.

2. The only area you can damp is the door panels. Much of the ambient noise comes via the window jams and glass area.

3. Damping the metal panels and underbody will reduce some of the external noise but dont expect silence. Given the above, i would expect a noise reduction of about 20%.
I don't want to make the cabin totally silent.I just want to make it as noise free as an i20 or ANHC. I guess the MRF tyres also contribute a lot to noise. Engine noise is normal.
What solutions for underbody damping ?
Will changing to bridgestones make some difference ? I can swap them from my extra wagon R.
Old 19th December 2011, 16:00   #881
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by k2max6 View Post
I don't want to make the cabin totally silent.I just want to make it as noise free as an i20 or ANHC. I guess the MRF tyres also contribute a lot to noise. Engine noise is normal.
What solutions for underbody damping ?
Will changing to bridgestones make some difference ? I can swap them from my extra wagon R.
1, Damping on the fire wall will reduce the level of engine noise in the cabin.
2. Wurth makes a spray on Underbody damping coat.
3. I am told that Steel belted tyres produce more noise than Nylon belted tyres but I do not have any experience or evidence to substantiate this.
Old 19th December 2011, 16:59   #882
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post2615519

Have added detailed snaps of the damping process for that I got done for the Aria on the above link.
Old 8th January 2012, 23:36   #883
Senior - BHPian

I am planning to do dampening for my Accent. My installer in Hyderabad Indian Decars is suggesting Dynamat Extreme. He is not responsive when inquiring about cheaper alternatives like Wurth & NoiseKill.

Also these guys do not have proper knowledge of dampening. He was saying dampening the inner skin is sufficient.

Can somebody in Hyderabad suggest good place where i can get stuff like Wurth and NoiseKill and also are good at doing dampening?
Old 16th January 2012, 18:14   #884
BHPian

I have a 2011 skoda laura dsg and i get some vibrations from the rear wheels creeping into the cabin causing some odd noises when going on rough roads. I also get some noises from the trunk when going over potholes and speed brakers. I dont really have an issue with the engine noise or the tyre noise.
I really dont want to dismantle the door panels. I spoke to someone who suggested dynamat in the wheel wells and trunk floor. Would appreciate your suggestions and guidance. If there are any good retailers in chennai who i can speak with regarding this please let me know.
Old 18th January 2012, 13:04   #885
Senior - BHPian

Your installer is recommending the correct material. Noisekill is pretty much ineffective and Wurth sheets add on a lot of extra weight to the car. Dynamat is the best compromise between weight and vibration reduction, the other viable alternative is Soundkill by Stinger. The importer/distributor being in Bangalore it might be easier for your installer to source. Otherwise stick with Dynamat.

He is also correct when he says damping the inner sheet is indeed sufficient to remove vibrations. If you are looking at sound deadening then you will need BAM damping material from Focal and use this on the inside of the door pads.

I had noisekill in my car and it was worthless, tore it out and replaced with Dynamat and Focal BAM combo. The difference was/is like night and day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by satish_appasani View Post
I am planning to do dampening for my Accent. My installer in Hyderabad Indian Decars is suggesting Dynamat Extreme. He is not responsive when inquiring about cheaper alternatives like Wurth & NoiseKill.

Also these guys do not have proper knowledge of dampening. He was saying dampening the inner skin is sufficient.

Can somebody in Hyderabad suggest good place where i can get stuff like Wurth and NoiseKill and also are good at doing dampening?

@vinj14

In Chennai you could get in touch with Chandru auto stores at 104 General Patters road or "Sound Works", in Royapettah.

Last edited by khoj : 18th January 2012 at 13:19. Reason: replying to additional post
khoj is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks