Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th January 2012, 02:51   #901
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Damping Material and Sound Deadener Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by glidealong View Post
I got response from Wurth dealer in Kerala and they had provided me the catalog of there products.

Does anyone know which is the best solution for the under-body coating to reduce noise and vibration?
Wurth under body seal is not for sound dampening. Its a highly effective under body spray which works very well to protect the under body from rain water and other muck that sticks to the under body and damages it or leads to rust.

I have been using Wurth products from a very long time and they are very very good for the use they are meant for. I seriously have my doubts if these spray ons would help much in sound deadening and reduction in the nvh. Maybe 5-10% but i have my doubts. Using a dampening sheet would surely be more effective.

Wurth does not sell in the open market. You have to contact the company and they will promptly send you a representative. Bargain with them and get a good discount. Thgey sell a 6 pcs dampening pad set for roughly around 3000 (mrp 3500/-) but you could bargain for more. I have used the under body seal for the entire under body of my MM550 recently and used the SKS stone chip guard as a bedliner on the insides and the floor pan of the entire Jeep. I will be getting their sound deadening pads to put in the bonnet and the firewall and will report here with pics. If it can make a MM550 any quieter, it will be suitable for most sedan applications.

They will gladly send an expert person who comes with the spray gun and finishes your job quite professionally. You pay a nominal charge for labour, directly to the applicator (around Rs. 250/-). I paid my guy Rs. 500/- and he really took great care when doing the job and also made sure the product was not diluted. Said use it directly and it will work wonders. He also sanded the floor of my Jeep of the superficial rust it had gathered before spraying the entire interior of the Jeep.

I would go for Wurth anyday.
Old 25th January 2012, 09:29   #902
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Navin & DerAlte,
How long should the damping sheets last, before it starts peeling off ?

I was expecting the piece that was stuck in the factory during manufacturing, to last much more than the 3 years it has (the car is 3 yrs old now). If this one does not last long, then how long can a aftermarket damping sheet last ? Do we have to keep doing the damping every 3 years or so ?
No the damping sheets I applied on my car in 2003 and 2004 are still stuck. I assume they did not preheat the metal panel enough. This is common with factory stuck sheets.
navin is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th January 2012, 10:51   #903
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by k2max6 View Post
Can you share the price for a can ? the bitumen based.
He didn't give me the price for a can, but the cost for applying the underbody seal(stoneguard black,Synthetic rubber+Plastic), for swift. Its' INR3.5K including installation charges.
Old 25th January 2012, 11:42   #904
BHPian

Any idea as to how many sqft would be required for damping all 4 doors and the boot for Punto , got hold of a dealer in Mumbai who is ready to courier noisekill to me @120 psqft .

Regards
Abhishek
Old 25th January 2012, 11:56   #905
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
... How long should the damping sheets last, before it starts peeling off ? ... small piece is stuck in the middle of the outer panel /sheet of the door, and is already peeling. ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
... I assume they did not preheat the metal panel enough ...
That, and surface preparation before sticking on the OE damping.

In this case, it looks like the primer oxidized below the glue of the sheet. @condor, first use emery paper (wet) to scrub the surface, then when dry, clean lightly with spirit/acetone-soaked banian-waste and allow to dry. Use a hot-air gun to stick the sheet back. Press with a roller or block of wood while sticking back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
Wurth under body seal is not for sound dampening. ...
Not the blue or black rubber / plastic one that most underbody coating guys spray on - doesn't damp enough. The older tar-based one (the Wuerth 'Underseal' is just that) that was used earlier has decent damping properties to damp the underside of the chassis. Yes, of course the almost-solid damping sheets are better, but this one is an acceptable alternative to reduce the rumbling noise that comes through the suspension.
DerAlte is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th January 2012, 12:03   #906
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
That, and surface preparation before sticking on the OE damping.

@condor, first use emery paper (wet) to scrub the surface, then when dry, clean lightly with spirit/acetone-soaked banian-waste and allow to dry. Use a hot-air gun to stick the sheet back. Press with a roller or block of wood while sticking back.
Looks like I've jumped the gun by quite a bit. Have been cleaning the painted surface with a moist cloth + cleaning spray + moist cloth before I stuck the damping sheets (not this one that I showed in the pic). Will just have to wait & see how long will the sheets last now.
Old 25th January 2012, 15:07   #907
Senior - BHPian

Evo in Bangalore offers various types of sound damping, it might be worthwhile to get in touch with them.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/bangal...bangalore.html

EVO - All About Sound , In Car Entertainment and More !

Quote:
Originally Posted by ego4evr View Post
Any idea as to how many sqft would be required for damping all 4 doors and the boot for Punto , got hold of a dealer in Mumbai who is ready to courier noisekill to me @120 psqft .

Regards
Abhishek
Old 25th January 2012, 15:37   #908
BHPian

Quote:
Looks like that. Ask him specifically for the bitumen-based Underseal product.
Yes, and this is the response i got

Under seal costs nearly 2600.00 , it is purely bitumen based product , it will also serve your purpose , but the differnce in stone guard is it is a mixure of plastic resins and bitumin , therefor after application it will be 100% dryed within 20 minutes , and it can be over paintable . In undreseal after application it will not be in a 100% dryed condition .

Quote:
Wurth under body seal is not for sound dampening.

I seriously have my doubts if these spray ons would help much in sound deadening and reduction in the nvh. Maybe 5-10% but i have my doubts. Using a dampening sheet would surely be more effective.

Quote:
I have used the under body seal for the entire under body of my MM550 recently and used the SKS stone chip guard as a bedliner on the insides and the floor pan of the entire Jeep.

They will gladly send an expert person who comes with the spray gun and finishes your job quite professionally. You pay a nominal charge for labour, directly to the applicator (around Rs. 250/-). I paid my guy Rs. 500/- and he really took great care when doing the job and also made sure the product was not diluted.

I would go for Wurth anyday.
Ok, they have quoted me 2600/-, will give another 400 to the guy and that makes it 3K. Won't they do it for the whole underbody, or is it just the wheel wells?

Quote:
Originally Posted by k2max6 View Post
Can you share the price for a can ? the bitumen based.
They didnt give me the price per can, but INR3.5K for Underbody seal(Synthetic) and INR2.6 for Underseal(Bitumen). One of my colleagues mentioned that he got the 1 liter can for Underbody seal(Synthetic aka Stoneguard black) for 900/- (Mar/April 2011) and used up 2 cans. Including labor and service center charges, it cost him 2.5K.

Quote:

Not the blue or black rubber / plastic one that most underbody coating guys spray on - doesn't damp enough. The older tar-based one (the Wuerth 'Underseal' is just that) that was used earlier has decent damping properties to damp the underside of the chassis. Yes, of course the almost-solid damping sheets are better, but this one is an acceptable alternative to reduce the rumbling noise that comes through the suspension.
I dont have plans to do a full floor damping with sheets. Also being a car, this might yield better results, when compared to a Jeep. Moreover, I don't want dead silence inside the cabin, I would love to know when a bearing goes bad.

Last edited by glidealong : 25th January 2012 at 15:45.
Old 25th January 2012, 15:48   #909
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by glidealong View Post
Ok, they have quoted me 2600/-, will give another 400 to the guy and that makes it 3K. Won't they do it for the whole underbody, or is it just the wheel wells?
The whole underbody including the wheel wells which are the most rust prone areas. The guys who do it know where to avoid and where to spray.

Quote:
I dont have plans to do a full floor damping with sheets. Also being a car, this might yield better results, when compared to a Jeep. Moreover, I don't want dead silence inside the cabin, I would love to know when a bearing goes bad.
You are right. In a car you may cover it with heatlon. That will help in a way, even will help in the ac.. In a Jeep one can ony reduce the NVH to a limited level.
Dead silence is not achievable too. Not is it recommended. besides a bearing going bad you would also want to hear other drivers honking if ure going to unknowingly ram into them. This should be good enough.

I guiess the Bitumen based product is not paintable. This underbody seal and stone chip guard are. But why would you want to paint the underside of your vehicle. Maybe the wheel wells, yes but surely not the underside.
V-16 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th January 2012, 18:25   #910
BHPian

Guys, is there any solution for plastic on plastic rattling sounds?
The driver side window control panel and the door plastics on my civic are rattling at high bass :(
Old 25th January 2012, 21:52   #911
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
2. The only area you can damp is the door panels. Much of the ambient noise comes via the window jams and glass area.
Today, I damped the door of the Ikon - used damping sheet on metal sheets from inside the door, and added some Yoga mat to the door panels. Did make a small difference. This DIY took me about 2 hours per door.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjumrani View Post
Guys, is there any solution for plastic on plastic rattling sounds?
The driver side window control panel and the door plastics on my civic are rattling at high bass :(
Open the panel, use some Yoga mat. Check the threads by Riju for a good explanation (with pics).
Old 26th January 2012, 01:22   #912
BHPian

Quote:
Open the panel, use some Yoga mat. Check the threads by Riju for a good explanation (with pics).
Do not want to use Yoga Mats.
I really need someone/some shop to help me diagnose the sound first before I do anything.
Old 26th January 2012, 02:21   #913
Senior - BHPian

A patch of Dynaxorb right behind the woofers of your front components should take care of the bass reflection that is causing the door panels to vibrate. Go to 'Driven' and talk to Suhaan(he is the shop owner), make sure he gets in to your car and finds out for himself the trouble and its source ~ solution etc. There is a manager at the shop (Rana) do not settle for this guy's technical advice, he is a commercial guy with decades of experience pretending to be technically knowledgeable.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/delhi-...riven-ncr.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjumrani View Post
Do not want to use Yoga Mats.
I really need someone/some shop to help me diagnose the sound first before I do anything.
Old 26th January 2012, 04:39   #914
BHPian

^Thanks mate.
I will go on Friday and will update the thread accordingly.
Old 27th January 2012, 20:12   #915
Distinguished - BHPian

Any information / feedback about damping sheets by American Damping ? I am not able to find any information anywhere on this.

Accessories dealer says that this is available in two types - one that does not need heating (non-adhesive side is metallic color), and the other that needs heating (is black/dark color). Sheets are 1.5mm thick.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks