Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th January 2012, 13:28   #886
BHPian

Re: The Damping Material and Sound Deadener Thread

Guys, I am having an issue with my Civic's dampeneing.
The doors (metal only) is covered with dynamat but I am still hearing vibration noises from the doors at higher volumes. They seem to be coming from the plastic (door or window control panel or inner door handle)
Any advice?
Old 20th January 2012, 18:30   #887
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtomhk View Post
Got a grander Grand Punto again! Dynamat did the trick!
Once I have closed all the doors and rolled up the windows, it is almost like putting on my noise cancelling headphones.
I've been pondering on investing in higher end equipment all the while, but I guess it's time. No more money to be spend on electrical/electronics stuff, till I get the rattling and road noise fixed.

You got me sold to the idea.

Quote:
I did the underbody coating using Wurth Stoneguard and what a difference in the sound quality even with my humble co-axials! Roadnoise has lost its battle!
If it were not for this forum, I would be vainly trying to squeeze in more speakers/subs/amps!
So, with all the posts in the Team-bhp, I have ordered Dynamat as well. I am pretty sure I am gonna get another surprising change to my car; maybe, an in-car studio?
Can you please let me know where you did this from and the cost, in Trivandrum?

Quote:
Damping job was a DIY. Not much hassles as we think. Take off the doorpads, cut the sheet to the shape of the door and paste it using roller and a hairdryer.
I have ordered 4 sheets of

eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices

and

eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices

each, which comes to around 17sqft in total.

I plan to use the first one for the front doors and the second one for the rest, including the boot in my swift.

Would this quantity be enough to cover the 5 doors of swift?
Which other area would get help by damping, bonnet?

Please PM if we can meet up.

Last edited by glidealong : 20th January 2012 at 18:31.
Old 22nd January 2012, 18:28   #888
BHPian

Hi All

I got a quote from installer for 1600 per door for dynamat extreme , he does not have any other product apart from dyanamat , do you think 1600 is a fair price .

Any suggestions for a cheaper damping in Bangalore will be really helpful friends every shop that i have been to they are suggesting only dynamat extreme , if there is any other alternative to it i don't mind trying it out on my 90

Thanks in advance

Regards
Abhishek
Old 22nd January 2012, 19:15   #889
Senior - BHPian

Which car?

No, that is a bit too much. Usually 5K or less gets you decent damping on 4 doors + boot lid / hatch. Check with other shops - they will have competitive VFM products.
DerAlte is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2012, 00:33   #890
Senior - BHPian

Is this quote for a single layer of insulation or several layers? Usually atleast two layers of insulation material is required. If this is for two layers(one on the outermost sheet metal + one on the inside in place of the transparent OE plastic sheet) then it seems to be allright.

The alternative is to use Soundkill brand sheets from Stinger. The distributor for these is Kumar's Automotive and they are based in Bangalore itself. Soundkill is generally cheaper than Dynamat. Last year I bought Dynamat sheets at 1400 a pop and Soundkill was quoted @ 1000/- with tax paid bill per sheet. The sheet size for both is the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ego4evr View Post
Hi All

I got a quote from installer for 1600 per door for dynamat extreme , he does not have any other product apart from dyanamat , do you think 1600 is a fair price .

Any suggestions for a cheaper damping in Bangalore will be really helpful friends every shop that i have been to they are suggesting only dynamat extreme , if there is any other alternative to it i don't mind trying it out on my 90

Thanks in advance

Regards
Abhishek
khoj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2012, 13:58   #891
BHPian

Thank you Khoj,called kumar's got a reply "saar we dont have any damping thing "
alternatively have been able to get a hold of weurth ,called them up they do not do any installation ,they are selling packet of 6 sheets which he says is for boot and 4 doors for 2.6k ,is it worth it ,has anybody used weurth damping

BTW i have a punto 90

Thank you friends
Abhishek
Old 23rd January 2012, 14:18   #892
Senior - BHPian

A few TBHPians in Delhi have used Wuerth - worth it as per their experience.
DerAlte is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th January 2012, 02:57   #893
Senior - BHPian

Yes, they seem to have taken it off their product listings ..:: Welcome to Kumar's Automobiles & Agencies ::..

I will try and find out who is distributing these now a days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ego4evr View Post
Thank you Khoj,called kumar's got a reply "saar we dont have any damping thing "
Old 24th January 2012, 11:18   #894
BHPian

I got response from Wurth dealer in Kerala and they had provided me the catalog of there products.

Does anyone know which is the best solution for the under-body coating to reduce noise and vibration?
Attached Thumbnails
The Damping Material and Sound Deadener Thread-1.jpg  

The Damping Material and Sound Deadener Thread-2.jpg  

Old 24th January 2012, 12:44   #895
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by glidealong View Post
... which is the best solution for the under-body coating to reduce noise and vibration?
For underbody application for noise / vibration reduction, the Bitumen-based stuff would be much better than the plastic-based one. At a pinch it can be used inside the cabin too for the firewall, especially if covered with felt - but in that case make sure the cabin is dried/aerated for a long time to avoid the solvent fumes from being a nuisance later.
DerAlte is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th January 2012, 14:18   #896
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

Wont such sound deadeners affect the thickness of the panels such that the crumple zones change or not work the way they're meant to?

Are these materials fire proof?
Old 24th January 2012, 14:56   #897
BHPian

Quote:
I got response from Wurth dealer in Kerala and they had provided me the catalog of there products.

Does anyone know which is the best solution for the under-body coating to reduce noise and vibration?
Can you share the price for a can ? the bitumen based.
Old 24th January 2012, 15:29   #898
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
For underbody application for noise / vibration reduction, the Bitumen-based stuff would be much better than the plastic-based one.
Thanks DerAlte, meanwhile the wuerth guy got back to me, and this is what he had to say

Underbody Seal ( Stone guard black ) is suitable for your car.Its cost is 3500/- with application charge.

Is he just trying to sell the more expensive one to me?
Old 24th January 2012, 17:37   #899
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinbose View Post
... Wont such sound deadeners affect the thickness of the panels such that the crumple zones change or not work the way they're meant to? ...
The material is bitumen-based, soft and flexible, i.e. it will easily depress when one presses a fingernail into it. I think the chassis metal is much more rigid, don't you think?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinbose View Post
... Are these materials fire proof?
No. This is bitumen/plastics-based, neither of which is fire-proof.

Quote:
... Underbody Seal ( Stone guard black ) is suitable for your car.Its cost is 3500/- with application charge ...
Looks like that. Ask him specifically for the bitumen-based Underseal product.
Old 24th January 2012, 20:36   #900
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
2. The only area you can damp is the door panels. Much of the ambient noise comes via the window jams and glass area.
Navin & DerAlte,
How long should the damping sheets last, before it starts peeling off ?

Back-ground for the question:
I had opened the Ikon's door panels today, and found this small patch of damping sheet inside. This thick but small piece is stuck in the middle of the outer panel /sheet of the door, and is already peeling.

The Damping Material and Sound Deadener Thread-ikonoedamping.jpg

I was expecting the piece that was stuck in the factory during manufacturing, to last much more than the 3 years it has (the car is 3 yrs old now). If this one does not last long, then how long can a aftermarket damping sheet last ? Do we have to keep doing the damping every 3 years or so ?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks