Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th September 2010, 09:10   #736
Senior - BHPian

I was also talking of the same, @sankar. The patches in the picture you have posted are too small to effectively damp the outer skin of the door.
Old 18th September 2010, 11:12   #737
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gt500 View Post
@ sankar

I was also about to do the same with wurth sheets which have the dimensions of 22'' x 9 '' by slicing them in pieces , lemme know if this works out for you.

Cheers

GT
It works better than not having any damping on the outer skin. But imo if the damping material at hand is limited then priority should be given to seal off the inner skin to separate back and front wave from the speaker.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
I was also talking of the same, @sankar. The patches in the picture you have posted are too small to effectively damp the outer skin of the door.
Ohk, i thought you said about using multiple small patches to cover the entire door skin.

But it should help cut the resonance, right? Agree that those patches are a bit small for that door.

I applied salvaged noise kill on the outer door skin, but those were of a larger dimension than the ones posted in the pic. It cut the metal ringing sound produced by the door when you knock on it without applying damping. The sound was cut/minimised by a great deal even on places where i didn't put any damping.
Old 18th September 2010, 12:41   #738
Senior - BHPian

Smaller patches with gaps in between them will only lower the resonant frequency (OK, don't try to quantify it ) of the door outer panel, not damp the waves (cut the resonance). Actually, in that door there is unlikely to be much resonance at all - there are 2 lateral stiffeners which will prevent that.

The problem here is not resonance (induced by vehicle vibrations), but transmission of road noise through the door outer panel. For that, the stiffener doesn't do anything. As much of the unstiffened area has to be covered with a damping sheet as possible to cut road noise transmission. If one wants to use patches / cut-pieces, they should be mounted as close to each other as possible, if not overlapping. The objective is to create one large damped mass, not a set of smaller damped masses.

Don't worry about separating the front and back waves. Damping the inner metal does nothing to stop that, since there are enough number of stiffening ribs and fillets. If at all, damp any area on the door FRP / cardboard panel to prevent energy loss by panel vibration (energy here is sound energy produced by the speakers).
Old 18th September 2010, 13:35   #739
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
Don't worry about separating the front and back waves. Damping the inner metal does nothing to stop that, since there are enough number of stiffening ribs and fillets. If at all, damp any area on the door FRP / cardboard panel to prevent energy loss by panel vibration (energy here is sound energy produced by the speakers).
Door Kit Install

In that link for a regular dynamat extreme install, step 4a is given as optional. So i guess damping the inner panel is more important than damping the outer skin or the door card (plastic). Inner panel-Outer Skin-Door card.

On competition damping they ask to damp the outer skin to reduce outside noise.
Old 18th September 2010, 15:23   #740
BHPian

Damping Material Vendor in Delhi

Hi !!

I am looking to buy some Damping material for DIY project on my swift. Need help in finding Vendors from where I can buy the stuff and use it on my vehicle.regards
Old 18th September 2010, 16:47   #741
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diesel_maniac View Post
Hi !!

I am looking to buy some Damping material for DIY project on my swift. Need help in finding Vendors from where I can buy the stuff and use it on my vehicle.regards
@ DM
I do have the vendor details for wurth dampning , I have seen the product and it is pretty reasonable also, though I don't have any personal experience with it, but some members have used it.
( http://www.wuerth.com.ph/Catalog/WPI%20006%200005.htm)The silver one.

I was about to take a plunge for them but I am waiting for the final approval by the experts here, to use it on my swift.Maybe we could get a better deal in bulk buy.

PM me for vendor details.

Cheers

GT
Old 18th September 2010, 17:59   #742
Senior - BHPian

Wurth site says those are asphalt based damping products and it needs heating of the substrate for proper adhesion. Installation might be a pain and not perfect without a heat gun or atleast a high temp hair dryer. Also butyl rubber based stuff is better than asphalt which have a tendency to go soft and run in hot climate.
Old 18th September 2010, 18:25   #743
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
Wurth site says those are asphalt based damping products and it needs heating of the substrate for proper adhesion. Installation might be a pain and not perfect without a heat gun or atleast a high temp hair dryer. Also butyl rubber based stuff is better than asphalt which have a tendency to go soft and run in hot climate.
@sankar

The website says that pads are bitumen based, I'm not sure if bitumen and asphalt are one and the same thing, pardon my technical ingnorance here

This is what the catalog says though:-

Heavy Bitumen pads, aluminum coated, self adhesive.
• Reinforced against breaking.
• Can be heated to ease installation.
• Resistant to water, slight acid & alkaline solutions.

If you think its not appropriate, I might skip it.

What say?

Cheers

GT
Old 19th September 2010, 01:05   #744
Senior - BHPian

Bitumens are the dominating constituents of Asphalt.

Bitumens because some are naturally occuring while some are recovered during processing of crude oil.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gt500
The website says that pads are bitumen based, I'm not sure if bitumen and asphalt are one and the same thing

Last edited by khoj : 19th September 2010 at 01:07.
Old 22nd September 2010, 19:54   #745
BHPian

Wurth Sheets Experience

Hi

So finally went in for the wurth damping sheets.

My experience so far:-

1.Reasonable priced ( Rs.2200/- for a pack of six sheets measuring 22 inches x 10 inches )

2.Material is good,similar to OEM silver coloured damping patch used in my swift but 1.5times thicker,made in germany as told by the seller.

2.Dampens 95% of the vibrations,not 100% due to the fact that 1 more sheet was required as swift requires a lot more damping as compared to other cars due to poor quality plastic and wurth doesnt sell loose sheets.

3.I am very much satisfied with the product and will buy more when I get an AMP and a sub.

4.The door now closes with a thud, solid feel

5.Easy to apply, just heat it and stick it.

Conclusion= I would recommend this to anyone looking for a cheap alternative to Dynamat.

Regards

GT500
Old 23rd September 2010, 17:03   #746
BHPian

Quote:
Hi

So finally went in for the wurth damping sheets.

My experience so far:-

1.Reasonable priced ( Rs.2200/- for a pack of six sheets measuring 22 inches x 10 inches )

2.Material is good,similar to OEM silver coloured damping patch used in my swift but 1.5times thicker,made in germany as told by the seller.
Hi,

From where you brought wurth damping sheets. I am also interested to get this done in my Grande punto.

Thanks

Last edited by ampere : 20th June 2018 at 05:53.
Old 23rd September 2010, 20:33   #747
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalpurja View Post

Hi,

From where you brought wurth damping sheets. I am also interested to get this done in my Grande punto.

Thanks
@ kalpurja

I had bought the damping sheets from the wurth sales office in Patparganj Industrial Area,Delhi.

Though I dont know much about punto, but I have seen Linea coming with some OEM damping on the doors, though they are of very poor quality and have started to peel off.

You can search the office address as given on the company's website>>
Companies of the Wrth Group

I got them installed professionally as a hot ait gun was not available at hand, and the person who installed it knew where to stick the patches, open the door panels etc.

Regards

GT
Old 25th September 2010, 23:17   #748
BANNED

@Gt500 installer detail

Quote:
@ kalpurja

I had bought the damping sheets from the wurth sales office in Patparganj Industrial Area,Delhi.

Though I dont know much about punto, but I have seen Linea coming with some OEM damping on the doors, though they are of very poor quality and have started to peel off.

You can search the office address as given on the company's website>>
Companies of the Wrth Group

I got them installed professionally as a hot ait gun was not available at hand, and the person who installed it knew where to stick the patches, open the door panels etc.

Regards

GT
@Gt500 Hi Could you please tell me from where did you managed to find this installer for the damping sheets. How is the workmanship , price for installation , experience of before and after usage of the sheets. Thanks a ton
Old 26th September 2010, 01:21   #749
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by himanshusharma View Post
@Gt500 Hi Could you please tell me from where did you managed to find this installer for the damping sheets. How is the workmanship , price for installation , experience of before and after usage of the sheets. Thanks a ton
@himanshu

The sheets were installed at driven,East of Kailash, gave Rs.100 to the installer,
did an acceptable job(not outstanding though),
experience before= when the bull components speakers running on HU without an AMP are cranked up the doors vibrate like a rattle snake ;
the after damping result= the major rattles have been taken care of , though since the swift rattles exceptionally well, I feel two packs are reuired for a 100 % job.
But some feel the application of one pack to two doors acceptable, Its subjective.

Cheers

GT
Old 9th October 2010, 16:24   #750
BHPian

I wanted to damp the boot of my verna, but lots of people said that the heat will cause the damping to peel off. Can someone give some inputs on this, and any specific brand that is better known for boot damping?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks