Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th September 2009, 19:12   #661
Senior - BHPian

Here's something we tried the cost effective way, click here (DIY : Damping the swift with yoga mats and making it rattle free). From what little research I did, it was all down to the fact that closed-cell natural rubber is more durable and it keeps moisture and bacteria from seeping into the mat.So go the yoga mat way if you have time and wanna try a DIY.
Old 20th September 2009, 20:10   #662
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
Not much you need to do, really, since most of it is already damped. The 'heat shielding' you see is actually damping, and so is the green felt. In places it resonates the most they have applied damping sheets.

The firewall (behind the dash) and the floor pan could do with some damping. Might be a messy job since there might have been rubber-based adhesive holding the felt to the floor. You will need a lot of elbow grease to scrape the remnants off and scrub it clean. Once you have got it clean with some brake oil and then some thinner, apply damping sheets with a hot air gun.

You have a larger roof than sedans or hatchbacks. See if the workshop can remove the ceiling cloth and check if the roof is damped. If not, then put some damping on the inside of the roof (can be pieces, need not be the whole, as long as you are breaking up large expanses).

In any case, do the doors and the rear wheel wells.
Thanks a lot for your inputs.
So two area where work can be done are the behind the firewall and the roof.
For behind firewall, which area do i have to cover, the one towards engine bay, or the one inside the cabin.
And yess being a station wagon it has a large roof, but never actually felt any noise form roof part. Actually there are roof rails too on the roof, maybe they are providing a bit stiff roof which doesnt flex.
But to be sure, I will get a sneak peak into the roof by slightly opening it, and if its not damped then, some work there too need to be done.

Now do I really need to scrub the rubber sheets already sticked on the body?
I am attaching few pics for having a clear view.

Thanks again for your inputs.
Attached Thumbnails
The Damping Material and Sound Deadener Thread-img_2750ed1.jpg  

The Damping Material and Sound Deadener Thread-img_2755ed1.jpg  

The Damping Material and Sound Deadener Thread-img_2754ed1.jpg  

Old 20th September 2009, 23:10   #663
BHPian

Harish, there are different stages in the damping itself. It all depends on how much you are willing to spend and what you are expecting as the end result. Adventure is a well built car.

If i were you, then I would've put a layer of damping sheet in between the firewall and the green mat. Also would have damped the doors, boot and wheel well atleast with felt or foam.

I posted a reply in the safari damping thread also. All the very best
Old 20th September 2009, 23:40   #664
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrsraghav View Post
... For behind firewall, which area do i have to cover, the one towards engine bay, or the one inside the cabin. ...
Inside the cabin. The engine bay already has some.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrsraghav View Post
... And yess being a station wagon it has a large roof, but never actually felt any noise form roof part. ...
It is quite difficult to isolate noise in the cabin, so assuming that it doesn't come from the roof would be unwise.

As a thumbrule, the larger an unbroken/undamped area, the greater the chances of it adding to the general din inside the cabin.

It looks like the under-seat area of the floor pan (to the left and right of the hand-brake lever) is already damped. In that case, you need to do only the front part of the floor, starting from behind the dash.

If the green tar felt has become unusable after removing, you can stick closed cell foam (black, shiny) in its place after laying the damping sheets, and lay the carpet over all that.
Old 21st September 2009, 17:23   #665
BHPian

How will this work for puting all over the floor, roof and in boot,

Armacell - ARMASOUND Silence / Downloads

For firewall area, i am thinking of noise kill or dynamat butyl based sheets, and over that this armacell foam based sheet. And the Green colored Thick fabric is still very much in good shape to be used.
For doors, I am still confused, as to put these armaroll foam sheets, or to use expensive butyl based sheets.
Old 21st September 2009, 20:50   #666
Senior - BHPian

If the green fabric is good to use, then reuse the same. Using the closed foam with the fabric might be a. an overkill, and b. difficult to tuck under some of the edges.

Armacell seems to be just a slightly better quality closed cell foam. I have seen it being used under wooden parquet or sheet flooring - one can make out by the springiness it provides. At a pinch, the regular black closed cell foam available with auto accessories shops should do the same job.

For the doors, use the butyl sheets - the damping will be far more than cc foam.
Old 30th September 2009, 01:18   #667
BHPian

hi guys i wanted to know if i buy a 18"*32" dynamat extereme wedge pack will it suffice my damping purpose for NHC . i just want to cover my front door 6 1/2" and 6"*9" speakers at the back? pls let me know i am a kindda novice in all this
Old 22nd November 2009, 23:11   #668
BHPian

How can the engine nosie heard inside the cabin be reduced of my ikon tdci? will the dynamt hoodliner will help ? any advice on this part ? there is lot of cabin boom as well.
Old 24th November 2009, 23:26   #669
BHPian

Check the product Armasound , they manufacture thermal n sound insulators. Most of them are used in industrial purpose also in home and theatre audio installation. some of there products can be practically used in cars as sound insulators also for thermal insulation.
Old 25th November 2009, 16:36   #670
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullboy View Post
How can the engine nosie heard inside the cabin be reduced of my ikon tdci? will the dynamt hoodliner will help ? any advice on this part ? there is lot of cabin boom as well.
Hoodliner will only help reduce the hood vibrations... to achieve engine noise deadning - you'd require your roof, pillars, firewall and the underbody to be damped...
Old 26th November 2009, 23:14   #671
BHPian

Hey also check Dynaliner by Dynamat perfect for hood liner thermal insulation.
Old 27th November 2009, 10:43   #672
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
If the green fabric is good to use, then reuse the same. Using the closed foam with the fabric might be a. an overkill, and b. difficult to tuck under some of the edges.

Armacell seems to be just a slightly better quality closed cell foam. I have seen it being used under wooden parquet or sheet flooring - one can make out by the springiness it provides. At a pinch, the regular black closed cell foam available with auto accessories shops should do the same job.

For the doors, use the butyl sheets - the damping will be far more than cc foam.
Now as the car is being reassembeled, I can see, its HEAVILY damped.
whole floor is already having butyl based sheets sticked on it. Over that there is that thick Green dense material, and above that again some Rubber sheets of around 4-5mm. And lastly there is floor carpet over the whole floor.
So no need at all to do anything for floor.
Just the roof and doors are bare. The doors have just small patched of butyl sheets.
Whats the performance of B-Quite Extreme ?
And for 5 doors + Roof how much is required, I will be damping only the outer side of Doors.

Regards
Harish
Old 27th November 2009, 14:18   #673
Senior - BHPian

You will require about 10 sft for the doors + another 10 sft for the roof.

No idea about the performance of B-Quiet, but I would expect it to be on an average the same as just about any other butyl rubber-based sheet. Key thing is the thickness of the material (>2 mm), weight per unit area (1 sheet shouldn't feel light like cc foam) and stiffness when cold (should need some effort to bend it).

Last edited by DerAlte : 27th November 2009 at 14:19.
Old 2nd December 2009, 20:40   #674
Senior - BHPian

Any dealers for the Armacell products in Bombay ?
Old 15th February 2010, 22:24   #675
Senior - BHPian

I am thinking of DIY job for damping my Safari.

How much sq ft of noisekil or similar VFM product will I need to damp the front and rear door properly?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks